“Lucky old us”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
New Jersey
“Lucky old us”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our holidays were late this year and we were badly in need of some R and R. The location of this clever hotel is like something out of a travel book. Blue sea and white sands, friendly staff waiting to serve and a happy relaxed wife, what more does a guy need ? They make sure everything is at your fingertips and we just had to motion to get some assistance. Great food, with a lot of detail. Enjoyed the hog roast a bit too much. Our ten days were too short, thanks for a glimpse of something special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elliot R
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at Villas HM Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Mr. Elliot,

It is great to read reviews like your, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in this amazing island! Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you back sometime.

Best regards from Holbox.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our Island getaway and took our breath away when we arrived at the villas. The ocean is all around and it is so beautiful. The staff were polite and cheerful and good fun too. The room was comfortable, spacious and relaxing. Stylish in an organic mix, so nice to see the local style here and there. The meals were good, nice range and kept it different daily, impressively displayed with lots of time and trouble going into the extras. The birds can be heard and seen at all hours and a short walk along the shore can find some amazing shells. The days went by in a haze of happy contentment and I have never been so unhappy to return home. Wonderful.

2 Thank Nicole H
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed October 16, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay! My wife and I came here on our honeymoon and I wasn't sure what to expect. This place and the island itself provided such a wonderful honeymoon for us. It was very difficult to book from America with the hotel directly but we ended up using book it.com which was another great company to work with when planning a trip. The all inclusive package and the master suite were upgrades for us but they were well worth the money. The hotel has wonderful food all day long and an endless flow of drinks! Also we used he kayaks daily and the bikes to get around the island. The staff at this hotel were superb and very friendly and we felt extremely safe at the hotel and on the island in general . The only thing I could potentially complain about is the 3 hour ride to the island and back to the airport. Also if you do any excursions off the island it's also going to run some extra money just because transportation is a bit of a hassle. The water is beautiful here and at about 11:00 a.m. A nice breeze pics up and it is enjoyable all day long! Also, do realize that if you come here bring bug repellant in addition to sunscreen. The mosquitoes and no see-ums do act up around late afternoon and evening. Also, I highly recommend the romantic dinner the hotel offers. The food is more than enough for two people and the experience was phenomenal . We will be returning for sure someday and when we do we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the master suite ! On the front of the beach. We had a wonderful view of ocean and wild...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blkmackey
Memphis
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent stay here. We came with my Brother in law and Sister for some relaxing down time. We just checked in and felt right at home. The staff were super helpful, kind and friendly and brought us cold drinks above and beyond the call of duty. They made the difference between us having a great time (frankly it would be impossible not to) and having a special time.
The rooms were Island style, spacious, clean with bells on!
There was a fantastic range of dishes for breakfast and the meals at night were so special in the beach setting with the waves as background music.
If you need to get away and have the best time, this place will help you make it come true.
This was an unforgettable experience for all four of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jamie H
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at Villas HM Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Jamie,

Thank you so much for your review, it is great to read that our guests enjoyed the island and the hotel. If you come to Holbox we would love to see you again!

Best regards from Villas Paraiso del Mar.
Alvechurch
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Villas Paraiso del Mar was a trip of a lifetime. The journey from the airport was just the start, the heat hit us in a wave and the relaxed crew gave us a taster of the rest of the holiday to come.

The views really are better than any picture on the internet you feel like you're on your own paradise Island, white sands, blue sea and a light breeze, this was heaven, can't believe this place exists.

From the minute we walked into the main entrance, nothing was too much trouble, warm and welcoming staff met us with smiles and complimentary drinks.

Our rooms were like individual beach huts on a grand scale, it was spotlessly clean and the bathroom was to die for. The pool is set in the grounds and looks stunning although with the sea so close we never had to use the pool and swam in the sea on several occasions. The flamingoes flew overhead twice, not something you see everyday.

It's located near enough the town to walk there and you always see something interesting when you're out, animal or person!!

For those who want a special, out of the box holiday, we recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Richard B
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed for eight nights at this beach resort. We were so impressed with the whole place. All the staff were the friendliest we've ever come across. The room was spotless, spacious with the towels changed daily. Grounds are beautifully kept and the beach was clean and inviting. We loved the peacefulness of our view and spent some quality time on hammocks listening to the waves, you only fall out once! Breakfasts and meals were relaxed, no hurry just tasty food, best night was the beach bbq. The location is Island getaway and the town is interesting, you keep looking for cars. Total different kind of holiday for us and every minute was original. Recommended 100%.

5 Thank Lewis M
Kingwood, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2013

You need to really want to seclude yourself to enjoy a trip to Holbox. I did and as a solo traveler, I couldn't have picked a better place to be completely at peace for my stay. The main reason I picked this resort was because it was one of the few all inclusives on the island. I didn't want to have to leave a resort to eat as I wasn't sure of the safety factor. While the island feels very safe, I loved the convenience of walking 20 steps to the buffet - yes I counted them off from room 403. Here are a couple of quick bits of info:

Food - buffet was good, although limited if you are used to big resorts - worked fine for me and there was always a chef cooking 2 fresh meats/fish/eggs

Drink - bars open 'til 11pm only. Again, this is a place to go to be quiet not to "tear it up"!

Pool & Grounds - small but nice pool - landscaping was unbelievable!

Service - no issues

Room - If I decided to sell all of my possessions and move to a place like this, I would be more than happy to live in this hotel room. Felt like a studio apartment rather than a hotel room. Love the many shutters that allow light and wind. So many that I went without A/C at around 90 degrees for awhile, just because. I usually want to be on top floors. In this case, I'd request the ground floor again. 20 steps to the beach and huge patio with 2 chairs and a hammock. I wouldn't ever expect better anywhere in this price range

Beach - You are on the Gulf not the Carribean - don't expect the dramatic green/blue seas. There is no real surf. It's hard to say that this was disappointing but I missed the Carribean side of the Yucatan. There are tons of birds and shells.

Transportation from CUN to Holbox - I arranged through the hotel for $275 roundtrip. 2 hour cab, 30minute ferry, 10 minute golf cart ride - count on about 3 hours. Going to the island, they dumped me on a private boat instead of the ferry because the next ferry was 1.5 hours away. At that point, I was happy to go with random old men, no life jacket - I only wished I had a ponytail holder for my hair that was like dredlocks by the end of the ride! They orchestrate this whole transportation thing well! No worries - if your patience allows, you'll get there safe and sound!

I went to Holbox in a transition period in my life. I was very satisfied with the hotel and the trip - swimming with the whale sharks was a bucket list check off. I would caution you again to make sure that you want quiet and don't mind the long transportation. If I were to do this with family, I would go to Isla Mujeres as transportation is quicker and you can still get to the whale sharks. I treated it more like an adventure and it was perfect for me at this time. Enjoy your trip and feel good about booking at this hotel!

Room Tip: I really liked ground floor 403. 3rd floor is a winding staircase - no one with walking issues shoul...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo