“Amazing experience”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed for eight nights at this beach resort. We were so impressed with the whole place. All the staff were the friendliest we've ever come across. The room was spotless, spacious with the towels changed daily. Grounds are beautifully kept and the beach was clean and inviting. We loved the peacefulness of our view and spent some quality time on hammocks listening to the waves, you only fall out once! Breakfasts and meals were relaxed, no hurry just tasty food, best night was the beach bbq. The location is Island getaway and the town is interesting, you keep looking for cars. Total different kind of holiday for us and every minute was original. Recommended 100%.

5 Thank Lewis M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kingwood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

You need to really want to seclude yourself to enjoy a trip to Holbox. I did and as a solo traveler, I couldn't have picked a better place to be completely at peace for my stay. The main reason I picked this resort was because it was one of the few all inclusives on the island. I didn't want to have to leave a resort to eat as I wasn't sure of the safety factor. While the island feels very safe, I loved the convenience of walking 20 steps to the buffet - yes I counted them off from room 403. Here are a couple of quick bits of info:

Food - buffet was good, although limited if you are used to big resorts - worked fine for me and there was always a chef cooking 2 fresh meats/fish/eggs

Drink - bars open 'til 11pm only. Again, this is a place to go to be quiet not to "tear it up"!

Pool & Grounds - small but nice pool - landscaping was unbelievable!

Service - no issues

Room - If I decided to sell all of my possessions and move to a place like this, I would be more than happy to live in this hotel room. Felt like a studio apartment rather than a hotel room. Love the many shutters that allow light and wind. So many that I went without A/C at around 90 degrees for awhile, just because. I usually want to be on top floors. In this case, I'd request the ground floor again. 20 steps to the beach and huge patio with 2 chairs and a hammock. I wouldn't ever expect better anywhere in this price range

Beach - You are on the Gulf not the Carribean - don't expect the dramatic green/blue seas. There is no real surf. It's hard to say that this was disappointing but I missed the Carribean side of the Yucatan. There are tons of birds and shells.

Transportation from CUN to Holbox - I arranged through the hotel for $275 roundtrip. 2 hour cab, 30minute ferry, 10 minute golf cart ride - count on about 3 hours. Going to the island, they dumped me on a private boat instead of the ferry because the next ferry was 1.5 hours away. At that point, I was happy to go with random old men, no life jacket - I only wished I had a ponytail holder for my hair that was like dredlocks by the end of the ride! They orchestrate this whole transportation thing well! No worries - if your patience allows, you'll get there safe and sound!

I went to Holbox in a transition period in my life. I was very satisfied with the hotel and the trip - swimming with the whale sharks was a bucket list check off. I would caution you again to make sure that you want quiet and don't mind the long transportation. If I were to do this with family, I would go to Isla Mujeres as transportation is quicker and you can still get to the whale sharks. I treated it more like an adventure and it was perfect for me at this time. Enjoy your trip and feel good about booking at this hotel!

Room Tip: I really liked ground floor 403. 3rd floor is a winding staircase - no one with walking issues shoul...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank HeatherLovesMexico
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having stayed at 2 other top hotels during our vacation we weren't expecting to find anything better, but this hotel was definitely the best on our trip. The location could not be better and the beach is a haven for wild birds. Our room was very clean and really comfortable and the views from the window magnificent. All the staff here are polite and do a great job all round, especially the waiters and housekeeping. The food was excellent and cocktails too! liked that the bar tender came right down to find us on the beach to serve us personally. A really great vacation and superb hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M_Baker2011
Loughton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I will always look back at this holiday and remember how astonishingly beautiful it was on the Island.
We stayed on the top floor of the small villa and loved the views of the beach and lush tropical plants on the other side. The room was well appointed, the bed was comfy and the candles and flowers set the scene for romance. We had never been so lucky as to stay on an Island before and the whole feel of the place was so different to our usual holiday resort. No package deals with tacky day trips, just original ocean and local wildlife. We went out to see the sharks on a sea tour, great fun, the boat guy was so relaxed he was nearly asleep, a fun day even though we saw no sharks. This is the way to go cold turkey from i-phones, tablets and all that jazz, we're planning to make a return in two years to get married here, it's my idea of heaven.

4 Thank Stephanie W
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

After reading all the reviews here and waiting 5 months to have our week vacation I can report the following:
When we pulled up to the hotel and I saw with my own eyes just how close the amazing beach was I was so excited to get unpacked and get the party started. Nice looking lobby that is open plan and the lady was very nice and gave a good first impression, explaining a bit about the hotel and area.
The room was even better and more spacious than I had imagined and what a view. Perfect and worth paying a little bit more for. So clean and comfortable too.
The restaurant served a good mix of different things, hot and cold dishes and spicy and mild Mexican choices. We looked forward to trying something new every night and the staff are very cheerful and always wore a smile. The only thing I would say is that be prepared for a simple sort of beach vacation, as apart from fishing and sunbathing and swimming there is not much to do on Holbox. We loved it and loved the laid back feel, but I can imagine it is not for everyone. To me this hotel is like an oasis in the desert, as you don´t expect to find such a high class and beautiful hotel in the middle of nowhere!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrGoldberg156
Estelle L, Guest Relations Manager at Villas HM Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Goldberg,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor following you recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come!

Best regards from Holbox.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel. When I came to Holbox first in 2010, I celebrated the New Year at this hotel - it set up gorgeous tables on the beach for the occasion....When I was selecting a hotel for my trip this time, I believed Paraiso del Mar will be a great choice. I must admit it was a disappointment for me and spoiled my vacation significantly.

Rooms: unless you are in a Master Suite (there are only 6 of them), you are stuck in a dungeon-like room away from the beach. You cannot see any glimpse of the sea from there. In fact, all you can see are the walls of other buildings and the rich jungle foliage. In the three rooms that I have been to, you do not even get any sunlight on the sunniest day. I was told at the check-in that this was the concept of the hotel ("the midnight darkness"?) - I wish I knew before booking 4 nights there. When I just arrived, they escorted me to a room next to the reception - it smelled of dampness and I could see nothing in it until the staff turned the lights on. I respect that some people might enjoy that, but I cannot survive without the natural light. I asked for a change of rooms and was kindly given another one that seemed drier and a tad lighter. When we returned from dinner that night however, I was appalled to realize that the area around the room was filled with a loud noise from the restaurant's exhaust fan. Again, some people might not mind, but this is the last thing I want to hear at night on the beach...the sound is of a huge generator always on. I asked to be moved again and the staff obliged. However, our travails did not stop there....since these rooms (I really hesitate to call them villas) are built two to a house, if you stay on the first floor, you hear everything going on on the second flood. I am not exaggerating by saying that I could hear every time the people upstairs went to the bathroom, I could hear their conversations and could track their movements...again, not my idea of the way to spend time by the sea. On the 2nd night, the neighbors upstairs returned to the room at 3:00 AM and we could barely sleep from that time on. The next morning the hotel staff promised to not place anyone else above us, but that worked for one night only as the last night we again had neighbors and had a fitful sleep as the noise was unbelievable. Even to get to their rooms, the people from upstairs need to climb stairs that go against the wall of the first floor room...it all echoes. I really dreaded returning to these rooms every day...inside it was like being at the bottom of a well...

Staff: Most staff was very nice. They tried to accommodate our requests, but I felt they lacked authority and skill to make any improvements. The front desk staff changed every day and they usually did not pass messages from one person to the other...so I had to see them several times on the same issue. The cleaning staff was very thorough, however on the 3rd day my PJs went missing. The reception staff told me dispassionately that since no one would still pajamas, it was impossible that it would be the hotel's fault. The sad part was that they were left on the bed and went missing after the bed was made the next morning. I left without my PJs and no one thought of compensating me for the loss...they just shrugged and moved on.

Food: The best day was Thursday when the restaurant offered a juice bar for breakfast. I am not sure why this is a rare offering, but on other days the selection was pretty sad. For people like me who do not eat red meat, there was a choice of fruit, granola and eggs. Amazingly, at a sea resort, there was no fish/seafood for all 4 days we were there. We did not eat dinner at the hotel as I was not impressed with the breakfast options.

All in all, while I love Holbox and think we will come back again, I will definitely go to another hotel next time. I tried to leave this hotel as soon as I saw the pitch black rooms, but was told that the cancellation was 7 days and I did not have the energy to argue and convince anyone to let me go.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruchei
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your stay with us didn't fulfill your expectations. I have to say I that am surprised about the extend of your disappointment, mostly because comparing your experience with the one that most of our guests have, there seems to be a significant difference.

Still, it is opinions like yours that help us improve even more so I thank you for the feedback. In regards to the rooms, your are right, only the Master Suites have sea views (as indicated on our website). I wish you would have consulted the information before, that way you would have probably chosen a different room, more fitting to your needs. Still, I am happy to know that our staff did their best to make you comfortable and that you enjoyed this amazing island.

Best regards from Holbox!
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

As soon as we arrived and saw the hotel we were happy. The hotel is different, the style of the service is great and as soon as you get used to the ways on this Island you don't want to live any other way. Had an amazing time here, blown away by the beach, wildlife is real and the no car concept is a strange but true fact of life on Holbox. Be prepared to arrive tired and excited after the long journey and leave relaxed and overwhelmed. Paradise found.

1 Thank Adam C