“Excelent location, great service, good price”

Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Location could not be best, direct access to the white sand beach and clear water.
Room was clean, comfortable, clean towel service at request in the reception
The personal was kind and flexible to offer suggestions for activities during our stay,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Hola!!!

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We love when our guests have fun and enjoy this magical island.

Looking forward to see you soon,

Best Regards

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is very beautiful and the restaurant is delicious. However, the lobby staff is horrible!!! When we arrived the woman at the front desk treated us as if we were inconveniencing her, she didn't provide us with any information. We asked a different front desk woman for guided tours and when we changed our mind about going the next day we were forced to go or pay for the tour. The tour was $50 dollars for a bout trip with a "tour guide" that only provided us with the name of the different part of the island while he was texting and listening to music on his cell phone the entire time. There is little communication within the staff, we had paid for the transportation to the airport and they had no track of it, we almost missed our flight and forced to pay another $60 dollars for transportation. We were invited to the upstairs part of the restaurant yet when we arrived they made us feel like we crashed their private argentine party. However beautiful, this hotel DID NOT make us feel welcome. I wouldn't recommended to any of my friends or family, which is unfortunate.

Room Tip: We had a beach view room next to the restaurant which made it extremely noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank adriana l
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Buenos dias!!

We at Casa Las Tortugas take complains very seriously and we believe that this review is not honest.

When you arrived at the hotel our receptionist understood you were tired of the long trip and explained you that she will do the quick check-in so you could rest and have a cold drink at the bar.

The tour that you booked at the front desk was 30 USD and was organized especially for you at 9 o'clock in the morning, meaning that the tour operator had to re-schedual the other 8 tourist that were with you on the same trip. When you canceled ( 1 hour before your pick up) the tour operator mentioned to us that they were going to charge you, and we just communicate it to you. It was your decision to go or not, we never forced you to go.

The transportation was offered several times to you, but you never confirm the time. Even so at the last minute when you claimed the transportation had been confirmed from your side, our front desk managed to arrange transportation and get you on time on the ferry. Price of the transportation has always been the same and we never asked for an extra 60 USD.

Something that we are very proud of, is our incredible Staff, obviously there was a misunderstanding in between you and the staff.

Have a good day

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is definitely the place to stay on Holbox. I admit, I was a bit concerned about Holbox in general just because I'm not usually into 'rustic,' but it was far from it. I felt silly for even being hesitant. This is total paradise (the laid back version), and when I go back, it will be to Tortugas.

We were in Limon, which was gorgeous. Up some steep stairs, but the view from the door was worth it. The room was spacious, stylish and clean. The bathroom was beautiful! I didn't expect it to be as luxurious as it was, with th claw foot tub, large bowl sink and stone floor shower. Fabulous.

Tortugas has the best beach set up on the island - tons of white sand, plenty of lounge beds, hammocks and chairs, and the best part is the service. Their staff was attentive and friendly.

The food here was great, too - amazing breakfasts, and this also ended up being one of the best dinners we had. (Though there are tons of great restaurants on the island, and Tortugas is right next to all of them.)

I wished the wifi worked in our room, but that is really the only issue. Property was lovely, well taken care of, and perfectly located right next to town.

We stayed a few days here, then went over to Casa Sandra for a few nights due to availability. We had a really beautiful room there, but the beach was next to the road with no drink service. After scoping out the island (doesn't take long), Tortugas is he best bet, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Limon! The beach access rooms had no privacy - everyone on the beach could see right in! I rec...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hola!!

Thank you for your nice comments, hopefully we can see you soon back in Tortugas!!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 14 nights. We’ve travelled many places throughout the world, and stayed at many price levels to achieve comfort, quality, luxury and get more of an experience of the local area – all depending on what type of holiday we wanted. I can honestly say that staying at Holbox has been one of my most favourite trips ever and delivered on all those points and a large amount of that is down to the entire package that is Casa las Tortugas. It’s been one of the few places we’ve already talked about returning to (we normally rather to see new places in the world rather than re-visit old).

The staff were wonderful. The location is brilliant. The attached restaurant is excellent. The entire property, including the part of beach it’s on is to a high standard in terms of décor, taste, maintenance and cleaning. It all has a very chilled and cool vibe. I’m not sure there are enough superlative’s.

Location
Actually on the beach and really is in its own little area (i.e. nothing encroaching on it), but seems to be in the centre of all the places you want to be without actually being in the middle of a very noisy resort. It’s near the pier for trip pick-ups. It’s near most of the beach front stuff either way for beach bars etc. It’s near the square where most of the restaurants are. This part of the beach is also one of the best bits of the Holbox beach.

The pool is good to have. It’s tucked away in the middle of the hotel (near the entrance of the restaurant) and it meant that if the weather was bad, you could still use it in relative comfort. It’s too shallow and small for proper swimming, but great to dip in, chill out, cool off and have a couple of drinks and natter.

The Staff were brilliant. They are really friendly and seem to be one big family which you could see from the vibe of the place and the way they greeted each other – it really came through and made you feel very comfortable with where you were and asking for things. Staff were made up of locals and people from all over the world, so many languages were covered, but certainly everyone spoke Spanish and English.

The associated restaurant (I’ve reviewed separately) is fantastic and is open all day long into the evening. All day you are able to get food and drinks served to you pretty much where you want on the property. The highlight of every day though was waiting to see what we were going to be offered for breakfast. If you took breakfast included, then each morning you were served tea or coffee and freshly squeezed fruit juices with some toast and fresh fruit puree. Then you were offered one of three dishes; fruit - not just any old fruit though, a large selection of tropical fruits chopped and pealed for you and then some yoghurt and toasted seeds/nuts. An egg dish, normally scrambled with something mixed through it and often beans on the side. A Mexican dish e.g. huevos rancheros, enchiladas, tortia’s, all sorts of stuff that were often as large as a main meal and certainly better than most the places I ate out at in the evenings.

Rooms
We stayed in a Beach Bungalow called Colibri. Overall it was good, but I did have some niggles with it. For an upgraded room we ended up with a smaller bed than others I saw. The slopping bungalow ceilings are not great if you are above 6ft (I hit my head in bed, and couldn’t stand up to pee). The style lends itself to being quite gloomy, not enough light and I can understand that being traditional if you’re living in a place like this (don’t want the heat of the sun all the time) but actually I’m on holiday and I do. The Kitchenette was kind of pointless at this end of the market I think – sure we really appreciated the unlimited bottled water and fridge, but it’s a large underused area which would have been better placed for a lounge/suite plus even the second bed rather than what is there. None of the windows really shut, which meant with a single aircon unit it was really hard to actually get the place cool (especially when the cool air just when down to the ground floor and out through the door). It was nice enough and I enjoyed the fact that I was in a quirky room and not just a standard “hotel” room so I was constantly reminded I was in Mexico on holiday. Importantly it was the best room for peace and quiet I think. Ultimately though I looked around one of the pool rooms and if (more likely when) I go back, I will choose one of those over Colibri or any other beach bungalow. I took some video of the room which you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=01VJV1luxQo

Little bit Mexican
Some things were a little bit Mexican i.e. don’t run smoothly as you would expect in your country, but to be fair this was more down to some of the agents the hotel used. For example, our transfers , booked with the hotel, on the way the vehicle had an engine that cut out at every speed bump and also the driver picked up his wife and kid on the way for the trip. The transfer on the way back dropped us off at the wrong terminal and disappeared before we realised. Also a Whale shark booking with a 3rd party wasn’t really up to scratch (little to no English spoken so we had little idea what we were doing or why we returned after 60 mins going out), but to be fair the hotel sorted this all out for us.

Extras
Boat : We did a couple of attempts of Whale Shark tours (didn’t get to see one), the first with a 3rd party because there was enough people or the hotel boat needed maintenance and the second through the hotel. Even though it was a miserable day (huge swells, electrical storms, shocking rain), I have to say the day out with the rasta captain was actually really entertaining and we had a good day out and far far better than the 3rd party failed attempt.
Yoga : We tried to attend the 9am yoga session every other day (depending on what we were doing) and have to say they were brilliant. The teacher is fantastic and pushes you just hard enough so you get a little bit more out of it each day. Yoga ends about 10:30, in time to still get breakfast :) (this is important).

Overall excellent and we are highly likely to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Hola from Casa Las Tortugas!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to write us this wonderful review. We are glad you had a great time with us and we are happy to read you have good memories of our Hotel and our staff (whom by the way, would love to see you back very soon :) )

I would like take this opportunity to apologize again for the inconvenience you experienced with the transportation. We contacted the transportation company and they assured us that they will address the problem and that it won´t happen again. Next time when you come or any other tourist they will take you straight to Chiquila, without and detour.

Looking forward to see you soon!

Best Regards

Reviewed June 9, 2013

we just finished our weeklong trip to holbox with our family of 4 (myself,husband, 2 yr old and 9 month old boys). we also were visiting with my dad and stepmother who stayed in toucan.

we stayed in "Paloma" - master suite, for 6 of our 7 nights and in "maracuya" for our last night.

Paloma is on the 3rd floor of the main building with reception on bottom floor. You walk into the sitting room with couch, table, and small kitchenette (sink, cups, minifridge) - there was no watercooler in our room (toucan had one that we refilled our bottles with everyday). they did leave 2 water bottles in our room every day with housekeeping.

the sitting area opens onto a balcony with a hammock, 2 chairs, and a small table. i felt comfortable letting my 2 year old play out there by himself and we all sat our there together during rainy afternoons. it was very private on the balcony, i don't think i saw anyone.

there is a door from the sitting room that opens into the main bedroom with either a double or queen bed. it felt small to me but i have a king bed at home. the bed was very uncomfortable to me. i think it had a weird plastic mattress liner on it and the quilt on it didn't breathe very well. i wish i had used the blue fleece blanket that was also available. there was a dresser and a bookshelf in that room and another private window (a resident cat took a nap outside it every day!) this room and the sitting area had their own AC unit that worked really well! the sitting area also had a very efficient fan.

the bedroom has a door to a very spacious bathroom (no AC in here, but all windows completely open) there are some hangers in here that we used and space to hang some clothes - but i always wish i had more things to hang wet clothes on - didn't help it rained the whole time we were there. i would bring my own clothesline with me if i went again. the shower was really beautiful and large for children to stand in shower with me. the showerhead was like a rain shower and had awesome water pressure. it did take a little while for hot water but never rain out and got very hot. the sink, as others noted, does not have hot water only cold. the amenities included body wash, shampoo, and organic mosquito repellant, also bar soap. the body wash and shampoo seemed honey based and smelled good. they usually gave us 3 bath towels, 3 hand towels, and a bathmat towel. tip: you can grab washcloths from the pool bathrooms. the toilet was fine and i never noticed an issue with the smell from the "wastebasket" for soiled toilet paper.

they had a packnplay for my 9 month old and an air mattress for my 2 yr old. we left the packnplay up during the day as it fit in a corner pretty well. we just laid a blanket i brought with me in the pnp since they didn't give us a sheet. i recommend bringing a roll of tape (lots of uses and entertainment for kids) - we taped a sheet onto the airmattress and stored it in the bedroom during the day so it didn't take up all the floor room in the sitting area. it was pretty bright during the day but we would cover up the windows with the couch cushions during naptime.

we brought our baby monitor with us and felt comfortable locking them in the hotel room while we were at the pool (we had reception anywhere we could see the window of our hotel room). we also had a video monitor.

the pool is AMAZING!!!! omg. we loved it for kids b/c it had 2 shelves of differing lengths they could play on and the jacuzzi was fun with bubbles. one complaint is that the jacuzzi never seemed any warmer than the rest of the tub. when it was raining everyday sometimes the pool was kind chilly for kids. you can get pool/beach towels from reception every day

i never got a chance to go to yoga ( i think it was multilevel and 12$ pp, offered every day at 9 am except sunday). i did get a massage by julietta which was AMAZING!! best i've ever had. definitely recommend doing that.

the hotel itself is just gorgeous. every where you look there are these amazing little details and thoughtfulness!! there is a cute little kids playhouse outside reception area. also they have little rabbits in a cage near the front of hotel. my kids loved swinging in the hammocks and the swinging beds on the beach.

mandarina had an amazing breakfast every morning with SO MUCH FOOD. every day they offered a different juice and 2 salty and 1 sweet option (always fruit, granola, yogurt). i would get the fruit/yogurt for my 2 year old and whatever he didn't eat they would pack up for me to keep in our room fridge. also if you ask for kid silverware they have the ikea kids fork/spoon/knives. they had 2 highchairs that were awesome. i also brought my totseat with me which was a blessing at restaurants that didn't have a highchair. everything we ate at mandarina was amazing and we often ate lunch/dinner there our of convenience. every meal they give you bread and butter/jam/oliveoil/balsamic. towards the end of our stay we had a waitress (natalia?) who always seemed distracted and wouldn't bring us juice or bread until our entree arrived and we were overwhelmed with food. oh well, everyone else was excellent! i wasn't blown away by any of the alcoholic drinks i had there, but every day we ordered the hidratante (flavor lemonade with mint/ginger/honey) and it was SOOO good and a lot of water in a cute bottle - i highly recommend! they would bring it out to the beach for us.

there is no tv or phone in the rooms. the wifi was pretty good but i think you had to be near the restaurant or within view of the restaurant. my advice: disconnect for awhile!

we did have one issue at the end of our stay and i won't say it was 100% ours or their fault, but we had to move out of our room rather quickly (i was about to get kids down for nap) when they told us we werent' booked for our last evening. i pretty much freaked out. they found us another room at casa takywara (see separate review) and we basically spent about 3 hrs there until casa las tortugas said they had a room for us. we came back just out of ease to stay with my dad/stepmom for departure next morning.

our last night we stayed in 'maracuya' which was on the floor below paloma (so second floor of main building). it had a double and single bed with mosquito netting (which you don't need - we didn't have it in paloma). it had a place to hang clothes. also both rooms had a safe. the bathroom was good but not as big as paloma and the drain didn't seem to work very well...we all had to take turns taking showers so it didn't overflow shower ledge and even so the bathroom was soaking wet after 2 showers. this room also had a larger balcony with chair and hammock overlooking kids house on ground outside.

i will say paloma was a very quiet room for our family. the night we stayed in maracuya we could hear our neighbors upstairs and next door all night.

the beach was great and lots of options with shade and sun and tons of seating. also they have a ton of kids beach toys and some floats near the kiteboarding shack. don't bother bringing any! also there are plenty of shops that sell that kind of stuff in town.

quick review of toucan - bungalow - where my dad/stepmom stayed. it is truly beachfront. the bottom opens onto a pretty public area with a bench and table. the upstairs had a balcony with chairs and hammock that looked onto beach. the main floor had a kitchenette with more cups/plates/silverware, a hotplate, minifridge, and watercooler (very nice! got refilled when empty by housekeeping). there was a large dining table too. stairs led up to king bed i think with a smaller single bed. i didn't see a whole of the room but seemed pretty nice.

as an aside: tips for traveling with small children to holbox. we flew from georgia to cancun (2 hour flight) via delta. we had a seat for the 2 yr old but not for the 9 month old. i nursed the 9 month old during takeoff and landing and he did fine. i brought new toys from dollar store and fun snacks for kids to have (cheap little race cars were a hit!). be prepared in cancun to wait awhile for the customs line. it was also really hot.

we had a driver (charrolito??) who had a suburban with one carseat for baby in it and we held 2 yr old in our lap (no car seat laws). we did bring one umbrella stroller which helped with security in atlanta but no other stroller lines anywhere else. it helped during long walk to customs on return to atlanta hartsfield airport. i carried baby in my ergo baby carrier - life saver!!!

the driver drove like CRAZY to chiquila, lol. be prepared. he did stop and let us exchange us dollars for pesos at a gas station outside the cancun airport and there was a yummy sandwich shop to the right of the gas station store. the drive was about 2 hrs with no stops to chiquila.

in chiquila we took the ferry across to isla holbox. it was covered inside from rain and i was amazed by how sweet all of the locals were and how family oriented all of the people were that we met.

it rained our entire trip in holbox btw, which i guess is pretty unusual.

when you get off the ferry they have golf cart taxis which will take you and your luggage to your hotel.

Room Tip: paloma is a master suite room and worked well for us to isolate ourselves and kids in separate sleep...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kelly L
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Kelly!!

Thank you so much for taking your time on leaving a great review of us. As i can see, you did enjoyed almost all our facilities, next time you should enjoy our Yoga classes as well !! :)
I recommend you for your next trip, either book Paloma, or the Beach Bungalows ( those are perfect for families with little kids).
We hope to see you soon at Tortugas!!

Regards

Agua Spa Staff

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We just got back from our week in Isla Holbox and wanted to say this hotel was a gem. The staff was friendly and helpful from the time we arrived and the restaurant and its staff were superb. The hotel is set up for couples and families, and even though we did not have kids with us the families with kids all looked like they were having a good time. Even when we got rained in a couple of days our room was so nice it didn't matter that we had to stay indoors. There are no TVs so those people who like to watch will have to bring a computer. We could watch Netflix no problem with the internet provided. The hotel is easy walking distance to town or even the other side of the island and of course the beach was beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda L
Hol2Mex, Marketing at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Hola Brenda!!

Thank you for your nice comments.
Hopefully we see you soon !!!

Lorena

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Im gonna try to put my favorite things in order about out stay.
1. The beach.
Casa Tortugas & it's neighbor Mawimbi have the nicest beach in holbox. Wide and spacious with powdery soft sand there is the perfect combination of sun n shade. There are plenty of lounge chairs, hammoks, Bali beds even bean bags strewn all over without feeling crowded. No towell game needed here.
2. Pool.
The pool was the first reason we chose Casa Tortugas instead of its neibour and it didn't disappoint. The pool is very elegantly designed totally comfy for laying in it hours to read and it's location in front of the spa means ever-present aromatherapy just in case you weren't relaxed enough.
3. Decor.
The hotel is recently remodeled last October. The feel is whitewashed fresh with a spa/yoga feel and a few splashes of color the give personality. It's very artistic with great attentions to detail.
4. Room
We stayed in a standard room (frida)that was beautiful adorable and brand new. The bathroom was large with stone finishes. The plush white beds were the most comfortable I have slept in in Mexico. Only thing that got me out of bed in the mornings was breakfast....
5. Breakfast!
Good strong coffee is unlimited at breakfast n also available all through the day. There were 3 different options available everyday with homemade bread n marmalade.
6. Mandarina restaurant
Mandarina really deserves its own review. Staff was always excellent accommodating and flexible. We never heard then say no to any request. The answer was always 'yes we can'.
I was a bit worried about going over budget at the restaurant so i was very selective with what I ordered. Both drink and food from the simplest midday snack to main dinner plates were always superb could not have asked for better. There was not one thing all week long that it didn't love and think was worth every cent. Try the coffee martinis and chocolate volcano. Everyone was great but a special shout out goes to Natalia who has the warmest most welcoming smile and Cassiel who was always taking care of us.
All in all five stars of satisfaction and the best option in holbox for me.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Morning!!
Thank you so much for your nice words. It makes us very happy to read that our friends enjoyed their stay at Casa Las Tortugas.
We hope you can come back to visit soon.