“A garden in the Yucatan” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Erie, Pennsylvania
“A garden in the Yucatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband and I usually spend one week at one of the resorts in either Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. We decided to take a side trip this year and to go to Holbox. It was well worth the trip. The only negative experience was the bus ride to the island. Casa Las Tortugas is everything you can ask for, small, quiet, excellent staff, excellent food. . .Our trip was very relaxing and we look forward to returning again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Casa Las Tortugas is a beautiful, quaint and romantic hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel I was warmly greeted by the staff and the front desk. Francesca, I believe her name is, is one of the most welcoming person I have met. She is always friendly and asking about your stay and trying to make it as comfortable and accommodating as possible. My room was very pretty and romantic and had a sun filled balcony with a private view of the pool and a hammock. The master suite was very comfortable, with a living room, bedroom and large washroom. The pool area was very nice and had great pool loungers. The grounds are delicately groomed and all the staff work very hard to keep the beauty of this hidden paradise alive:-) The beach was very nice and also taken care of, with comfortable sun loungers, umbrella, beach swinging beds, and lots of hammocks. The restaurant uses fresh local ingredients and makes everything right to order. Try the guacamole! and the drinks are big and very tasty too! The breakfast included in the accommodation price is healthy and a little different everyday with fresh juices and fruit. I loved my stay and I would recommend this hotelito to travellers.Thank you to the warm and friendly staff for making my staff wonderful and to the hardworking and warm people that live on the island of holbox. Bring candies and small toys for the children in town, they really are very sweet and you will love to see their smiles.

Room Tip: Master suite is private, big and nice light at sunset.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank j b
Hol2Mex, Front Office Manager at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
Hola!
We want to thank you for your kindness.
Was a pleasure meet you and we hope will see you in other season like summer for see the
Whale Shark.
For this reason we want to give you the 15% of discount for returned guest.
greetings
Staff Tortugas
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

2nd time I stayed at Pat and Franci's place. This time it was even better than the last time. The new pool is perfect for some late afternoon relaxing and cocktails :)

The service of the staff really stands out, anything you need: they arrange it for you. Make sure you checkout activities like kitesurfing. Owner Patrick can give you very good tips for the best spots.

Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bart P
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

I arrived to the hotel just after Rina Hurricane. However, the service, the rooms and all the facilities were amazingly well.
The hotel is really close to the center of the town where you could find restaurants, bars, shopping, grocery stores, etc.
The rooms are amazing and very comfortable and with excellent view if you have the ocean view. Also you will have a deck with chairs and one hamaca to rest, amazing.
The restaurant is best in class, with excellent service and in my opinion the best kitchen in town.
The beach facilities are very comfortable, with all the services you need to have the best relaxing time ever.
They also have a kiteboard school, I didn´t try it but definitely I will be back to have some lessons.
In my opinion, the best option in Holbox.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are amazing!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hola!
We want to thank you for your kindness.
Whale Shark.
For this reason we want to give you the 15% of discount for returned guest.
greetings
Staff Tortugas
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

I would recommend this hotel to those looking for a decent hotel in an excellent location. The hotel is a short walk to the center of the island, directly on the beach.
This hotel is a much better value than most properties around .
Mexican staff is very friendly and willing to help out with golfcar rental, island activities and dinner reservations. You can even choose to have breakfast delivered to your patio instead of on main hotel terrace.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

Casa Las Tortugas is wonderful and it was the ideal hotel for our trip to Holbox!

It has all the amenities of a large hotel while retaining the charm of a small boutique property. The hotel features a beautiful pool, fantastic spa treatments, and a very good restaurant.

The location of Casa Las Tortugas can't be beat... it's just a few blocks away from the main square restaurants and shops. Close to the action but far enough away. The beach is beautiful, and clean with ample lounge chairs and shaded areas and the hotel grounds are well maintained.

We booked a standard suite but were able to upgrade to an ocean front room for a few days. Both rooms had queen beds, ceiling fans and powerful air conditioners! The Ocean View room was bigger and had a small kitchen area with an extra sink and mini fridge (having the fridge was great!). This room was right next to beach and had a hammock on the patio... it was a real treat to stay there. The standard room was very nice and featured a large balcony with a swinging bed. We were pleased with both rooms.

The entire staff at Casa Las Tortugas was friendly and accomodating. The women at the front desk helped me plan my tours and transportation and the staff were always friendly. The restaurant was very good and we enjoyed all the food and drinks we had there (and we never got sick from any of the food!)... Breakfast is included with the room and they features 2 options- sweet or salty- and they vary by day. The cocktails were strong and they offered a Happy Hour from 5-7. The hotel has free Wi-Fi in the restaurant area, so it was great to sip drinks and check our email :)

The spa area was very pretty and my husband and I had a wonderful time getting a couples massage.

Casa Las Tortugas made my trip to Holbox wonderful. We walked over the entire island and saw several of the other hotels. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else on my next trip. This place was the best and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tcuprincess430
Hol2Mex, Owner at Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Thank you very much for your visit! We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our "CASA".
We will be waiting for your return...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

This place was siren, I didn't want to go home.

This staff was great, helpful, and patient. Instead of giving rooms numbers they give the rooms names. For example my wife and I stayed in Paloma.

Anytime there was a reference to our bill for hotel. we always told the staff Paloma so they knew who to charge the bill to.

Our room was actually a suite. it have a kitchen sink with a living area. a nice porch with a hammock and a limited view of the ocean. A safe to keep our valuables in.

we had dinner nearly every night at the local restaurant / bar which is part of the hotel. and has a fabulous staff. the pool is clean. actually witnessed one of the staff kick out an outsider from the pool area. the pool area is reserved only for hotel guests.

breakfast every morning was freshly made.

We took the Whale Shark tour and had a great time. I will say that we had a LONG boat ride to the whale sharks. but was worth it as we stopped at various places to see various wild life.

I will caution that the staffs English is good but not perfect. I don't fault the staff personally for this. I could say that I need to learn more Spanish as well. I do bring the caution because we did have some mis-communication due to language barrier. So if you must ask the same question a few different ways, then do so. Be absolutely sure that you, and the staff, have a clear understanding what you are getting during your stay.

Making arrangements before arrival would be best if done at least a month ahead of time. Their internet connection for communications is not the most reliable. so the more time you provide before staying there, the better off you are. I say a month because it might take a few times through email communication to get a room that is right for you and your stay.

The reliability of internet in the area is not their fault. it is simply just a challenge to provide service to an island. :) You will understand better if you were there.

over all my wife and I had a fabulous time, and we encourage anyone who can visit, to do so.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RichguyNetwork
Thank you very much for your review.
We are aware that communication in English is not always perfect. Our apologize for that.
We are working very hard to educate all are employees the English language. Hope to see you back to our little paradise soon!!