“Even more perfect the second time.”

Holbox Hotel Casa las Tortugas - Petit Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed with another couple at Casa las Tortugas July 9-16. This was our second stay. I’m happy to say that not only were all of things we loved about this place still there, but they managed to add a few more.

Our transfer to and from went as seamlessly as last year. Somehow on our way back we ended up on a private transfer instead of the ferry, which was fantastic. We got to enjoy unencumbered views of the lagoon, and it was a little faster.

We stayed in one of the new pool view rooms, Azucar. It had two balconies, and from both we could see the ocean (private sunset view = heaven). It also had a king-sized bed and a rain shower head. The ceiling fan and AC kept us cool at night, even in the sweltering July heat. It was adjacent to the restaurant, and one of the balconies faced the bar next door. One night they had a live band in the restaurant, which we could hear a little of from our room (sort of like our own serenade). The bar next door had a live band several nights, and although we could hear it, it was faint. The AC and fan produced enough white noise to block most of it out. The only exception was our last night, there was a reggae party on the beach that was pretty loud and went on until the early morning hours. My husband went to sleep with no problems; I ended up digging out my earplugs. I also wasn’t feeling very well that night so was having a hard time sleeping anyway - that could have been a contributing factor. Even still, once I popped in the earplugs I was fine. We woke up to the sound of the birds every morning, and with all the palm trees just outside the room had a tropical treehouse feel to it. We loved it.

The new pool is beautiful, and was great to take a dip in at the end of the day when the beach got a little windy and chilly. The beach was just as amazing as last year.

Breakfast was an improvement from last year. Every day you had your choice between sweet or salty (savory). Sweet varied between homemade banana bread and crepes, and salty was usually eggs of some sort. It always included fruit, coffee, fresh juice, and homemade jam. The helpings were substantial, and my husband and I usually ordered one of each and shared, which made for a hardy breakfast every day.

The service was just as warm and friendly as we remembered. It’s such an intimate hotel that you end up feeling like you’re staying with friends who are incredibly generous and want to do everything for you. Julie at the restaurant was fun and charming. She spent some extra time with us, and we loved hanging out with her. Also, Carolina at the front desk went out of her way to make sure we were always taken care of. She gave us hugs as we left.

We decided to use the hotel’s whale shark tour again, and we had a great time. This year we had better luck finding the sharks and we had some really memorable swims. Our expert boat driver was Edwin, and our expert swimming guide was Tomate. We also had an English-speaking guide, Gabo, who was fantastic. He’s so knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife; we felt like we were getting an education. After swimming with whale sharks, we went to the river and mangroves, which should be on your must-do list for Holbox. It’s one of the most amazing places I’ve been to. A special note about the whale shark staff: one of our friends got miserably sea sick on the tour. They were so sweet about taking care of her; they treated her like she was their family. We all remain grateful to them for their kindness.

We took advantage of the new spa; my husband and I got a couple’s massage. The spa is right off of the pool area, and is open air. We were worried that it would be too noisy, but it wasn’t at all. They have soft music, and there’s a fountain at the pool that also helps with noise of people playing in the pool. When you add in the birds, it all blends together into this tropical relaxation soundtrack; it works really well. We also had a thunderstorm during our massage, which was a nice bonus. I had Lupita for my massage, and she was wonderful. She has one of those true nurturing personalities, which shines through in the massage.

Another reviewer made some comments about the price of amenities, and I thought I’d share my view as well. I think the value of what you get at Tortugas is impressive. It’s what brought us back for the second year in a row. This is not an all-inclusive, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect to pay for things like drinks and yoga. Their prices are reasonable, and they have specials for both during the week (you do get a free welcome drink). Every day we were there they had happy hour with 2 for 1 beers and free food. I also didn’t expect them to supply me with drinking water all week (they give you two bottles when you check in), and there’s a mini-super about a block away that sells a giant jug of water for 20 pesos. (You can also get beer there for 10-15 pesos; we brought a soft cooler with us and had beers on the beach from the mini-super most days.) I think the cost of yoga class is $10 US, and the spa prices were reasonable too – we paid $180 US for a 90 minute couples massage. The restaurant prices are in keeping with comparable places in town – it’s a little more than some, a little less than others. We do our best to make sure our travel money goes as far as it can, and we think that money goes pretty far at this hotel.

Tortugas is one of those places you keep in your back pocket and bring out again and again. I can’t wait until our next visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lori_and_matt

Reviewed July 9, 2011

This hotel is so great, great staff, lovely breakfast and beautiful rooms. It is highly recommended from me. A bit pricy but absolutely worth it! Will be back next year with my family!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This trip had the potential for disaster! The hotel had trouble finding our deposits, the room we booked was too warm, and the boat we had reserved for our Whale Shark tour was given to another family on the day we were planning to go out.....
But even after all of that, this little hotel and its staff had us all happy as clams by the time we left.
The deposits were found, the room was switched to another, and the tour rebooked for the following day. All of this was done with in such a way, that we have no complaints. (I'm a pain in the butt... if things are not right, so this says a lot coming from me) The staff was great and went above and beyond to make us happy.
Some insights...
Original room was thatched room with kitchen on 1st floor and sleeping on 2nd.
Do not book this room in July, unless you like to sweat. The aircon is only on 2nd floor and with thatched roof, does nothing. This room was really great, and would be wonderful in Winter season, just not in July.
We were switched to a Ocean view (Menta) room (the only one avail.) which was next to the restaurant. It was not very private and was a bit noisey. Room was gorgeous and we were happy to have it, but if you can choose-just select a room further away. Our friends were in the room on the other side of us and it was perfect.
Design of rooms and hotel ground was clever and well done. Creative and comfortable rooms.
Pool is fabulous.
Bar was devine, try the Mojitos
Breakfast awesome
Beach super clean and plenty of loungers/beds
Rooms spotless-didn't see a bug all week.
Super shower, never had water pressure in Mexico before!
Casa Tortugas Whale Shark Tour was great, kids loved the guides.
Lots of skeeters, so bring Deet wipes......
Did hear the Boom Boom of the "Disco/Bar" on the other side of the Hotel. Thursday - Saturday. If your room is close to the restaurant keep this in mind. I used earplugs and that helped. If you are towards the back, or a few rooms over from the restaurant, you will not hear a thing.
The staff asked us on July 4th if we wanted to celebrate the 4th on the roof on the restaurant. They offerred to make hot dogs and what ever we wanted. We had the best time! We watched the sunset and they brought hot dogs, lobster and shrimp pasta, Mexican dishes and plenty of drinks. It was the perfect end to a great vacation. It really was special.
All in all, one of the best adventures we've ever had. Casa las Tortugas was one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at in Mexico. Bravo!!!!

Room Tip: Away from restaurant and no thatch roofs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank stlgail
Reviewed July 7, 2011

You know all the pictures that folks have uploaded? It looks even BETTER than that. I promise!

What I loved:
1) Gorgeous hotelito: it's obvious that the owners put a lot of thought into the look and feel of Casa las Tortugas. The staff does a FANTASTIC job of keeping everything picture perfect.
2) The beach: again, props to the staff who actually sifts the powder fine sand, sweeps all the walkways, changes out the water bucket by your door (to wash your feet with after traipsing through te beaches)
3) The complete sense of relaxation: even at its most crowded, it never felt like there were too many people hanging out on the beach. It helped that the guests were really there to relax and enjoy the serenity, not to get disgustingly drunk and disruptive.
4) The staff. I can't begin to explain how nice and helpful everyone was.
5) Free breakfast: you have two choices - salty (eggs and toast and fruit) or sweet (crepes.) And coffee. And agua fresca. Excellent way to start your day.
6) Location: Seriously, 5 minute turtle-paced walke to the main square. Plenty of little mini-marts to pick up snacks, soda and bug spray.

Caveats:
1) Our room was the Colibri, which is a split level room (dining/kitchennette at the main floor, the sleeping area/bathroom on the open loft above.). The roof is palapa - which means that if the merest sound will keep you up at night, I'd recommend picking another room.

Our room is right next to Hotel Mawimbi next door, and is quite literally within spitting distance of one of their rooms/buildings. So when the Mawimbi neighbors would be otuside on their balcony having a low-voiced conversation, you can hear them. I'm used to noise and didn't mind it at all, but those who need absolute silence should pick a non-palapa roofed room.

2) The toilets. Ermn, you can't flush toilet paper. I think it's due to their sewage/septic system: toilet paper would clog everything up. So, uh, get used to putting your used TP in the trashbin. No big deal, just wrap it up with more toilet paper, then jump in the shower afterwards for that fresh feeling :-).

3) Bring your Deet based spray. The mosquitos are hungry for tourist blood at night. I'm not even joking! You can get away with not wearing bug spray in the daytime if you're just hanging by the beach. But once the sun goes down, the little vampires come out in droves. Funny thing: i brought deet wipes from the US, friend decided she was just going to buy when in Holbox (OFF deep woods spray, 25% Deet). Oddly enough, I didn't get bitten (except for that one time I forgot to apply before venturing out for dinner) and she was eaten alive. Weird - maybe different formulation? I have no idea. She ended up using my Deet wipes too.

4) Restaurant is good if you're too lazy to go out, but the menu is limited. Besides, the walk to the square takes 5 minutes of easy ambling: check out restaurants and get some ice cream out in the square!

We really had a fantastic time - it's the perfect getaway for those who are craving quiet, relaxation, and serenity.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Colibri: it's awesome to have a balcony, and having a fridge/kitchennete is dead...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lor2876
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We spent a few days at Holbox and Casa las Tortugas in June with intent to see the whalesharks. What a beautiful and tranquil place! Upon entering the hotelito you are surrounded by beautiful gardens, lovely architecture and friendly staff. It is constructed from natural and beautiful materials with exceptional attention to detail - think upscale swiss family robinson! Please note that this hotel is not appropriate for people that have a hard time getting around or that have small children. My friend literally had a ladder to climb to her suite and there are lots of obscure (but charming!) balconies with minimal railing or enclosures. We had a huge and beautiful suite that was fairly inexpensive and well appointed. We enjoyed a complimentary and substantial breakfast every morning. We booked our transfer and whaleshark trip through the hotel; both of which were over-priced but easy and well organized. The town of Holbox is charming and (relatively) affluent. We enjoyed some excellent dinners at Edelyns (lobster pizza), Zapato (mixed seafood grill), and an Italian place (the name escapes me but it is in the new shopping area on the south side of the square). Overall we had a wonderful trip! The hotelito is sleepy, relaxing and comfortable. The only reason I give 4 instead of 5 stars is that you are charged for ALL ammenities (drinking water, drinks, yoga, paying with credit card...) which really adds up and the restaurant quite expensive and average. Overall, I highly recommend the hotel and the town of Holbox for a relaxing and authentic holiday.

Room Tip: ask for vainilla or canela suite! most rooms would not be safe for small children or those that hav...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My best friend and I meet once a year for an annual Girls Gone Mild weekend. GIven the nature of our lives as working mothers, we prefer quiet, out of the way places where we can simply relax and enjoy the beach and island atmosphere. Casa las Tortugas was nothing short of perfect. Beautiful, creative, stylish, chic, warm, inviting, elegant....

Everyone working there was warm and inviting, attentive and helpful. The margaritas are made from FRESH fruit juices--delicious! Jonathon's were killer, btw. Your breakfast choices are easy--no big decisions on this island. You simply choose sweet or salty! All meals were fabulous..and served with a smile. And our meals always included a free Spanish lesson, thanks to multi-lingual Julie!

The hotelito was immaculate, despite the rain we encountered there. The decor is creatively crafted from local resources--mostly conch shells. The resort itself is very small...quaint and homey, welcoming and warm. The walkways are all sand but always well groomed and warmly lit by gorgeous conch shell light fixtures. I don't think we wore shoes once the entire time!! The rooms were alway clean and comfortable--the air conditioning worked well to cool us during the warmer evenings.

The beach area is beautiful and offers your choice of shady hammocks or beach beds or comfortable beach chairs and palapas in the sun. It was quiet and peaceful...truly. There is no shortage of seashells to be found along the shore and you can walk for hundreds of yards into the water on soft white sand and still be in water only slighly above your knees! The water is clear and calm--no fear of undertow surges or waves battering you as you walk! Seemed very safe for kids to enjoy the ocean, though there were no kids present on our trip.

The evenings were quiet with pleasant music playing in the Mandarina during dinner. Things quiet down completely by ten or so --this is not the place for you if your goal is an all night party. The atmosphere is romantic, peaceful and relaxing, throughout the entire island really.

We took a day tour to swim with whale sharks--another awesome experience. Though the weather was uncooperative, we did manage to swim with 3 different sharks. An experience of a lifetime and extremely reasonably priced. The guides are funloving but speak little English--but they know how to get you close to the sharks. It does take some time to reach the area where the sharks feed--seemed like 45 minutes to an hour. I'd recommend you take something for motion sickness, even if you are not prone to it--the boat sways quite a bit while idling near the sharks.

We were extremely impressed by their respect for the safety and wellbeing of the environment and the fish, requiring biodegrable sunscreens only, giving clear instructions not to touch the fish, not to litter etc. They entire island respects the natural beauty there and is seeking to protect it.

There are flamingos about a 40 minute walk from the Casa Las Torguas beach, or you can rent a golf cart to tour the area. The weather prohibitied us from enjoying either option but others who did mentioned that it was beautiful but wear bug spray!

Lastly, the Agua Spa. Lupita and Benjamin--wow. We indulged in a two hour Nourishing treatment and left feeling absolutely fabulous. The massage put me to sleep--sorry for snoring Lupita. The occasional splash fo someone in the nearby pool was the only distraction during the entire treatment. Totally relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights at the end of May and it was absolutely amazing. The room was really lovely with organic toiletries in the bathroom, a private balcony with a super comfy hammock, air-con, a ceiling fan and a bed enclosed by a rather romantic mosquito net! (A standard room).

The thing that struck us most about the hotel was the attention to detail. Rooms had names instead of numbers, there were a couple of little libraries where you could borrow books, and the little pool with jacuzzi was lit up in pretty colours at night.

Also the bar/restaurant is organic. One of the evenings the staff asked if we would like a romantic meal on the upstairs terrace which was normally closed - so that made us feel quite special too. Staff in general were very friendly.

The hotel is right on the beach and you can choose between relaxing on normal loungers, a swinging double bed or hammocks. It was lovely watching the pelicans dive for fish while the sun went down over the ocean. :)

Oh yes - the transport they organised was prompt and efficient. It takes 2 hours by taxi from Cancun Airport to reach the ferry port, then another 20 minutes on the ferry to Holbox. So it is actually worth the money they charge.

All in all an excellent hotel on a gorgeous paradise island. Best holiday I have had so far!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple