“Our day with Jesus and Holbox Adventures 8/4/2013”
Review of Holbox Adventure

Holbox Adventure
Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Holbox Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Holbox Adventure is a company that provides travel services in our beautiful states of Quintana Roo and Yucatan.So, take no risks, we're here!All the services necessary to give you a pleasant stay are available with us, this is from the moment you arrive to the international airport of cancun to the hotel of your selection in the beautiful island of Holbox, and, if you'd like us to suggest a few activities to fill the time in between, we'll be glad to help using our many years of experience to better each minute.Before anything, we must start with the normal guarantees: We've been handling touristic services for over 20 years, so, our staff is made of reliable 100% professionals. Licensed and bonded by the proper authority to carry out whatever part of the activity is necessary,contact us and let us be part of your netx adventure
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We took a whale shark trip with Jesus and Holbox Adventures on August 4, 2013. During my email communications, Jesus was very responsive and grateful for our business. We picked him because of this and the fact that the maximum number of passengers was 8, vs. some of his competitors who took 10. We felt that his attentiveness would translate during our trip and our instincts were proved correct. When we arrived in Isla Holbox, we emailed him to let him know we had arrived and he said for us to be ready at 7:00 am for pickup the next day. Shortly after 7:00 a pedicab taxi arrived and delivered us to the dock. We met Jesus who mentioned that we were going to wait for the other passengers to meet us, and also for many of the fishing boats to leave (there was a large fishing tournament happening that day). That gave us time to get my wife and I some coffee and juice for the kids (13 and 10). We boarded the boat and left around 7:35. Jesus and his partner Andres took turns driving the boat. It took us over 2 hours to get to where the whale sharks were, but what a spectacle! Andres took a spot at the edge of the pack of boats, right in the midst of the whale sharks and manta rays. My wife and daughter were the first to go in, guided by Jesus. They were in the water for ~15 minutes, and were right next to several sharks and rays. Next two people from the other family went, and so on. The seas were quite rough in this area, which we later found out is typical as the whale sharks congregate where the krill are being stirred up by currents. My wife and I both got a bit sick, as did a couple of others in the other family. This in spite of taking medicine before hand. Soon it my turn to go, and my son and I just followed Jesus. A couple of times the sharks were so close Jesus had to push me away so it would not swim into me! Everyone spent about 15 minutes in the water with these amazing creatures. Jesus asked if anyone wanted to go again, but no one wanted to. I think the rough seas took its toll on all of us in the boat. On the way back, we stopped to snorkel at a nice calm spot, and we also cruised close to shore to observe some flamingoes. Jesus and Andres served a nice ceviche lunch. I took a few bites and it was delicious, but my stomach was a bit too tender to eat very much. All in all, we appreciated the care and attention that Holbox Adventures provided on our trip, and would recommend them without hesitation to anyone wishing to swim with the whale sharks.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank Nelson K
HolboxAdventure, Propietario at Holbox Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thanks for your comment I am glad you enjoyed the tour with us, we are specialist in working with small groups to give a personalized service

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We did a tour with this company on August 5, 2013. We had done the tour about 6 years ago and we were surprised by how many boats and people are now enjoying this experience. Our guide, Manuel, was attentive to all the guests (there were 8 people on our tour) There were dozens of whale sharks and everyone was able to swim with them as much as we liked. We stopped for lunch on the way back from the swim with the whale sharks at this quiet beach area and he made the best ceviche for us. We did one more brief stop by Mosquito Point beach where there were dozens of flamingos. All in all a great adventure that we would recommend to everyone.

thanks for your comment hope to see you in Holbox again

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I spent a fair amount of time reading the Trip Advisor forum discussions before planning our Isla Holbox trip, and as usual, it steered me in the right direction on all topics, especially on how to get from the Cancun Airport to our hotel on the island. Jesus and Holbox Adventure made the round trip journey very straightforward. I booked via his web site and a few email chats, very straightforward. We used him for transportation, but had also planned to use him to see the Whale Sharks. My 5 star rating covers ONLY the transportation and Jesus's services in general. But my comments in this post will cover both the transportation aspect as well as the whale shark trip, which we booked through Jesus (and paid for through Jesus) but which was not actually with Holbox Adventures.

We arrived at the Cancun airport, where we landed at 4pm with an eye towards making the 7pm ferry. Unfortunately, we were delayed by customs/immigration, and didn't actually get into our waiting vehicle until 5pm. I phoned Jesus from inside the airport, left him a voice mail notifying him of our delay, and he phoned me back within 2 minutes telling me not to worry, our ride would still be waiting for us. And it was. Or at least a ride was waiting for us, likely not the original one. We got into a vehicle at the airport, which took us to another vehicle waiting for us at a gas station a few minutes away. This vehicle was small and was more of a personal vehicle than a taxi, and the driver spoke zero English, but it was air conditioned and clean, and speedy, so we were fine. We set off for the ferry at 5pm, and made it on to the 7pm ferry with about one minute to spare. Not somewhere I'd be too keen to wait an hour for the next ferry. Someone met us at the ferry "terminal", and transported our luggage from the car to the ferry and handed us the ferry tickets. Very efficient. Upon arrival at Isla Holbox, Jesus himself greeted us in his golf cart and took us to our hotel. Smooth sailing, for sure. Same for the return trip, although it was an official taxi that took us back to the Cancun airport a week later.

A day after we arrived, we did a half day tour with Jesus, seeing the cenote, passion island and the bird island. It was a nice day to be on a boat, and we witnessed many dolphins playing around our boat. The Cenote was a nice way to cool off, and Jesus was an enjoyable captain. But there were essentially no birds left on the supposed bird refuge (evidently the raccoons have pushed the birds off the island ). And it was pretty buggy near Passion island, so we didn't really want to spend too much time in the shallows around it.

We had hoped to use Jesus for the whale shark trip, but we were only two people, and he needed at least 5 passengers for the trip to go. After trying a few different days, we decided to follow his advice and let him arrange for us to go out on a boat run by one of his colleagues. Couldn't tell you anything about which company it was, or names of the crew, other than Manolo was the owner.

One suggestion I will make for anyone planning a whale shark trip: if you've got at least 4 people in your group, try to rent a whole boat, with Jesus or someone else. If you're a couple, try to make friends with another couple to make a foursome. Yes, it will cost you a bit more than if you're crammed into a boat full of up to 10 passengers, but you'll have longer to experience these incredible creatures, and a far more enjoyable experience. If you're like us and essentially chose to visit Isla Holbox for the express purpose of swimming with whale sharks, it would have be worth the extra money to have done it in the best way possible. Of course, we know all of this only in hindsight. On the boat we wound up on, the crew spoke zero English (a fellow passenger was able to translate for us, as we were the only non- Spanish speakers). Unfortunately, there was a group of 6 on our boat, most of whom started drinking beer immediately upon our 8am departure from the dock. One passed out around 10am, and didn't wake up until we were almost back at Isla Holbox. The only upside of that was that by the time it came to getting into the water, there were only about 6 (out of the 10) of us who were interested (i.e. physically able) in swimming with the whale sharks.

A few more comments about whale shark experience: Jesus gave us good advice when we were booking our trip to Isla Holbox, to bring our wet suits. Water was warm, so we didn't need it for that. But evidently, if you don't use a wet suit, you are required to enter the water with a life jacket. Its pretty cumbersome to try to swim alongside a whale shark if you're wearing a life jacket, so we were glad to have our wet suits, along with our own mask/snorkel. My husband and I both had a tough time finding fins on the boat that fit us, since we were the last of the 10 passengers to get to the fins. His feet are size 12, mine are size 6, so not easy to fit. We made do with what the boat had.

Overall, we did enjoy our time in the water, three rounds with maybe 3-5 minutes per round. But I wish we had done it differently. We even discussed doing the whale shark trip again a few days later, if we had found another couple to do it with so we could have a more pleasant experience. Oh, and I had read many different comments about the details surrounding the boat ride out to see the whale sharks. For us, it was roughly a 2.5 hour boat ride to see them. A bit longer than I was expecting. It turned out that for the time period we went, the boat trip would have been comparable, if not a bit shorter, from Isla Mujeres. Since Isla Holbox won't appeal to all travelers, it might be useful to know that Isla Mujeres can be an option. I should also mention that I thought the boat trip out in the morning was in pretty calm conditions. However, at least two or three passengers in our boat got sea sick. I'm sure the beer and hot sun didn't help matters any, but if you're prone to sea sickness, best to take some precautions.

5  Thank jeniferb

Thanks for your comment hope to see you in Holbox again

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Jesus Peche and his partner Andre are great to work with! If you want to do this excursion, you should go with Holbox Adventure, you will not be disappointed. Throughout the whole time that I communicated with Jesus in order to make adventures for our private tour, he was responsive and very clearly communicated what we could expect.

We did this tour from Cozumel, so Jesus also arranged a small charter flight for us to fly from Cozumel to Holbox. Since the boat ride out to the Whale Sharks was over two hours that day, we were really glad we had not opted to do a ferry ride to get from Cozumel to Holbox.
The Whale sharks are incredible and Jesus gets in the water with you and makes sure that you get the optimal opportunity to see and swim with the whale sharks. But he is also very respectful, careful and knowledgable about the animals, which we really appreciated.

This is definitely one for the bucket list and if you want the best experience, you'll go with Holbox Adventures!!!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I used Holbox Adventure for our round trip airport transfers and for the Whale Shark swim. Jesus is an excellent communicator! Very quick replies, excellent at speaking English and is extremely professional!

We landed in Cancun on June 10th and we were greeted by a very punctual driver who was holding a sign with our names on it. The drive to the port town of Chiquila went very smoothly and only took about 2.5hours. Once at the port, we were the only two who was taking the ferry so they hooked us up with a private transport to Holbox. Once on Holbox Island a taxi driver was there to meet us and take us to our Hotel.

The first two days in Holbox, we had no sign of the whale shark. They had just finished a tropical depression and no tours were going out. My husband and I were getting very anxious and worried we wouldn't get to see them. Then on the third day we spoke with a couple who said they had been out that day and saw over 100 sharks! GREAT!
We sent a message to Jesus letting him know that we want to go the very next day! He was game! He picked us up at 7:30am and off we went!

The boat ride to the sharks takes about 2.5 hours. On the way we saw Dolphins, Mantarays and Sea Turtles. The boat stopped at all for us to take pictures. Once we arrived to the Whale Sharks, Jesus went over safety instructions passed out the equipment and then into the deep blue sea we go! Jesus let us swim with the sharks as many times as we wanted and for however long we wanted. With our small group of 7 we each got to go at least 3 times each. When we all had our fill, we got back into the boat and off to our next stop. Snorkeling at this amazing reef. The driver of the boat made us lunch, sandwiches and ceviche with chips, sodas and water.

Jesus made our trip to Holbox amazing! He really knows how to run a quality business and he really cares about making your vacation special!

Rachelle from Canada