“cozy, quiet, tranquil, clean, beautiful”
Review of Villa los Mangles

Villa los Mangles
Ranked #4 of 36 Holbox Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I rented the apartment (with kitchen) and the friendship room as my husband and I, 2 of our kids and one of their friends came up (we live in QRoo) for the long weekend (school holiday Monday) and for Holbox's first 10K. I was rather shocked at the ferry sticker price (even with the run discount) that ran $720 RT for the 5 of us but that was the only negative (and honestly it wasn't a negative, just kind of shocked at the price). I actually made the girl walk from the ferry dock to the house (not knowing the taxis were only $30) but after driving for 3 hours (even with a stop at Costco in Cancun) and sitting on the ferry, I thought we needed to move around a bit.

The apartments were lovely! We have great air flow as the girls' room had no A/C but a nice ventilator and even my girl who cannot live without A/C was just fine with the fan only. I'm not sure how she would have fared in the summer but maybe we'll find out as we can't WAIT to come back. I was very pleasantly surprised by all the supplies in the kitchen, down to tupperware containers for leftovers! I was also surprised to have maid service on Sundays as I can't remember the last time we got Sunday maid service in places we've stayed so that was a lovely surprise.

There are hammocks galore and the beach is within sight of the house. We loved walking down to the beach, renting bikes in town ($15/hr) and riding to the end of the southern road. I felt so comfortable there that I let the youngest girls (12) head out on their own Monday to rent bikes (they're both fluent in Spanish as we live here) and toodle around for an hour or so. We didn't eat out anywhere but instead ate from the kitchen.

We've never been to Holbox despite living here 7 years and now i'm trying to figure out how to get out of our already-booked stay at Isla Mujeres for Semana Santa to come back to Holbox. :) Honestly, we'll likely try to come back at summer or figure out some way. We LOVED the apartments and the mozzies were very kind to us. PSA - if you're driving from the PdC area, we found it was actually shorter to drive via Cancun than Coba (even with the road washout on the Cancun route).

Can't wait to return! Antione is so helpful and kind and the place is absolutely LOVELY. We've also easily encouraged my daughter's friend's family to come to Holbox too.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jamnkats

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I took our first trip to Holbox in March 2014 and are very happy we discovered Los Mangles. This is the opposite of an upscale resort - it's very small (maybe 4 rooms), a beautifully maintained, spotlessly clean hotel set back from the beach (no beach view, from the first floor at least). Antoine and his wife are wonderful hosts who did everything possible to make our trip a success, including helping us with our trip home, even after we had left the hotel and weren't paying guests anymore. Very reasonably priced, too. Small factors - lack of hot water in the kitchen and no-seeums that may (or not) have come in through the air conditioner - might bother some, but were small annoyances we brushed off as the price to pay when experiencing an out-of-the-way magical part of the world. We loved Los Mangles and will be back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary G
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Only about 100 yards from the beach, a really quiet location. Simple, bright,clean rooms, very pleasant helpful owner, even dogs to befriend!

Isla Holbox is a bit of a trek from Cancun but a really quiet pleasant place with low rise accommodation in contrast to the hideous big all inclusive and expensive resorts around Cancun. Well worth making the extra effort to get there. The birdlife on Holbox is amazing - one day I will return when the whale sharks are around!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Started smiling the moment the golf cart taxi dropped me at Antione & Lili's gate. Next day, sunshine and birds and wind in the mangroves, that knot in my shoulder began to relax. This little hotel feels like home (but without the chores and neighbors). I'm already looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank nowthis
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here at the end of the December and was very impressed. The location is 1 block from the beach and a few from the center. We stayed on the top floor which had a spectacular 360 view of the whole island. The room was clean and well ventilated. It had the option of AC and or fan. Toni and his wife were very helpful. We can't wait to come back.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Strangrpilgram
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Best location, best price, best room (with kitchen) for a wonderful and quiet stay.

Maybe not the best for party goers though still walking distance from town, but ideal for someone who wants a peaceful stay, 100m from the beach where you can cook your own food. There is a bed room, bathroom and a combined sitting room/kitchen what more do you need? It's clean and esthetically pleasing.

There are just 3 rooms so it will never be crowded or too much noice.

The owner is helpful on site as well as beforehand answering all questions patiently and in detail.

Would definitely go again to this place!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a great time in holbox and especially at los mangles, antoine and his wife were super nice and helpful, the apartment was cosy, a 10 min walking distance from the center and close the nice beach, i would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2013