“Good food and drink bang on the nicest stretch of Playa Holbox!”

Barquito Mawimbi Beach Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Holbox Island
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good food and drink bang on the nicest stretch of Playa Holbox!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We were staying at Posada Mawimbi so inevitably we ate and drank at the beach bar a number of times. The location is stunning, the staff very friendly and the food and drink pretty good. The menu is pretty standard Mexican cuisine with some local delicacies such as cerviche and grilled fish on there as well.

Barquito Mawimbi has a good cocktail list, your standard Mexican beers and a nice selection of tequila (got a taste for Anejo here) all of which are reasonably priced. Without a doubt though Barquito Mawimbi is located on the nicest, cleanest and best maintained stretch of beach on Playa Holbox. I'm confident in saying that having walked from Hotel Nubes to Casa Takywara and beyond. Whether staying at Hotel Mawimbi or not be sure to spend a day on their beach. The service is great and you'll be hard pushed to find a nicer spot on the whole island.

Look forward to coming back...

Visited January 2014
1 Thank SBKLDN

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Beautiful beach location”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great service in the bar/restaurant as well as out to the beach in the comfy swinging mattresses, lounge chairs, hammocks, etc. Food is always good and their drinks delicious!

Visited December 2013
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Good local food”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had a lazy lunch here. Location, service and cooking was all great. We both had locally caught fish and it was delicious. Views you can't dream up. Great little place.

Visited November 2013
London
“Terrific spot for Lunch”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We only ever had lunch here but if we had had more time we would certainly have had an evening meal here too.
We would often stop in after a stroll along the beach and it was just never enough just to have a beer. it was a little like Mexican Tapas when we got going and over bthe course of our vacation we managed to try most of the smaller dishes on their menu.

From Guacamole to Cerviche (the best ever) we even had a grilled fish on the bar for us to pick at with our drinks. The barman didn't bat an eyelid despite this being attached to one of the best hotels on the island.

Yet another one to make a point of visiting.

• Visited June 2013
montreal
“Fantastic Fish”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had grouper fish for a dinner and it was possibly the best fish I have ever eaten. Would have gone back as I was travelling the Yucatan ,only it was too far away . My sister and I also went on the whale shark trip from the hotel,although we were not staying there ,sadly. The owner sailed his boat with about 7 of us and it was a fantastic day . I actually don't swim in the Atlantic ,but it did not change my enjoyment of a wonderful day out . The owners are very nice people ,and I would like to stay there on my next visit . I have been 2 summers running ,and its a very special place indeed .Well worth the rather long trek to get there from Cancun.

• Visited September 2013