“Definitely Recommend- almost five dots”

Beach Guesthouse Holbox Apartments & Suites
Ranked #3 of 32 Holbox Island B&B and Inns
Reston, Virginia
“Definitely Recommend- almost five dots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

We stayed in the upstairs left (looking out at the gulf) apartment and loved it. I slept for hours in those hammocks. It's very cozy and a great place to stay for a couple nights. Nice to have a coffee maker and refrigerator in the room, and the shower had good heat and water pressure. There were a couple iguanas who hung out with us on the veranda each day.

I hate that I can't remember the name of the caretaker, but when we were there he was staying downstairs, and is the local veterinarian. And this is important, as it is how my first negative turned into a great big positive---

When we arrived on Holbox, though we had a reservation, we hadn't received any information on location of the Apartments. It was raining, and we walked up and down the beach looking for it. And so you know- it's to the left of the main road from the ferry, about three blocks down on the beach (a block and a half past Holbox Dreams). I had a cell and called the number I had and they told me which way to head, without a lot of detail. When we found the Apartments, there was no reception, and I had to call into the room of other guests to try and get some help (still raining). She told us we had to walk a block and a half back the way we'd come and go to the Veterinarian's office to get the key. So away in the rain we went and found out he'd gone out to do something with his hair. So we had to wait another 10 minutes- in the rain....

Well he showed up with a hair drier in his hand, and was extraordinarily friendly, apologetic, and wasn't going to let rain or disappointed guests ruin his charming disposition. He brought us to our room, again apologized, told us what we needed to know and was off. The next day, as we were lazing the afternoon in the hammocks, he showed up with a big bowl of guacamole, chips, civiche and two ice cold beers. He must have made them himself downstairs, and to be completely honest, this was the best guacamole and best civiche we had in our entire time in Mexico and Belize. To top it off, he let me borrow his ipod charger, as we'd left ours at home. Any miscommunication and misunderstanding was cleared up.

Other negative, no a/c. You probably don't need it most of the year, but after a day getting too much sun and starting to burn, and under a mosquito net in July, it can be a bit too much. I understand that the palapa roof pretty well rules out the possibility of having an a/c, so it's a trade-off. Ultimately I preferred the palapa for the experience, but if you're pampered- you might rather go with a/c in July.

Mosquitos- never in my life, until I arrived on Holbox, had I heard an audible, collective hum from mosquitos (and I've been in some bad mosquito spots). This, naturally, is no fault of the Holbox Apartments, and they've got the room pretty well sealed off so they don't get inside, but still- there's a lot of mosquitos; just be prepared. It's worst at dusk and bad at dawn. And if you're downtown and see the fumigator truck come by- run! seriously.

It could be a little closer to the water, though it's really no issue to get to it, other places have a better 'beach' area (not really beaches on Holbox, rough, shelly beaches I'd say).

Internet didn't work in our room, and fortunately no one was in the other upstairs room, so we could walk over to the end of their veranda and hang over the side to pick up signal. Kind of a pain.

All in all, it's a Very Good place to stay, and if I ever go back to Holbox, I would definitely stay there again- nor would I think twice about recommending it to a friend.

Room Tip: Top right room (facing the beach) may be better for internet, but top left room has slightly better...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank walkingupstream

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

LOVED Holbox Apartments! Just got back from there after a romantic week with my boyfriend on the wonderful little Isla Holbox. We had an upstairs apartment with a fabulous view. The apartment was well appointed and comfortable. We practically had the beach outside the place to ourselves. Louis the caretaker of the property was sweet and helpful and the owners John and Mandy provided us with so much information before we got there. Its blocks from town but still far enough away to feel private. Honestly one of my new favorite places - highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chelseacm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

My husband and I along with another couple just returned from a week stay at Holbox Apartments. It was SO lovely. We rented 1 lower apartment and 1 upper suite. It was just perfect, the best of both worlds. The 4 of us had a kitchen downstairs and the AMAZING deck with beautiful views of the sunset and beach upstairs. The property is immpeccably kept with simple and comfortable furnishings. The gardener cut us fresh coconuts everyday he was there, and the caretaker Luis (also the town veterinarian) and his sweet dog Paparita took GREAT care of us. We would definately return and reccomend to anyone who wanta quiet and relaxing stay! The beach was beautiful!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChefKelly
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

This was our third trip to Holbox, and each time we have stayed somewhere different. We would return to stay at Holbox Apartments - hands down. The apartments on the second floor are beautiful, with views that would make anyone envious. Wood accients make it feel rustic, along with the palapa roof, but the fresh white linens on a king size bed create luxury. Although no kitchen, you can't beat the view, and the mini fridge (super cold), cerveza delivered to your door (cold), along with a coffee maker, cutlery, plates, and a drinking water jug (alwasy full), make this perfect for the independant travellers that want to eat out, or bring food home. There are lots of places in town where you can get food "para llevar" so you can enjoy your view while you eat. As an avid cook, I found it hard without a kitchen, but enjoyed many meals out, and managed to get to the fruit market a few times and made awesome gacamole at the apartment. There is a bakery where all the locals buy bread which also comes in handy. Odd hours though, so you need to be there early in the morning, or later in the day to find them open. If you want a kitchen, rent one of the down stairs apartments (full kitchen).

mandy and john - the owners of the apartments are friendly, helpful, pleasant and great to have around. If you want privacy, you have it. If you have questions, or need something, they are more than willing to help. Heraldo is there too (always - when Mandy and John are not), and he is equally as helpful and kind.

The room was always clean, and fresh towels, toilet paper and water always replaced/replenished. Sheets are changed and cleaning is provided every three days - perfect. We are not all-inclusive types that need "new" everything and constant cleaning, so this was great.

There are hammocks - one inside, and one on the balcony. Two lounge chairs on the balcony, and a great view of the water, and the sunsets. you can see the water from the king size bed too...you can hear the wavs crashes, the birds and wind in the palms.

Some days you will also hear some music, or dogs barking, but that is Holbox - no matter where you are on the island within reach of town. Don't worry about the airport being across the street. We heard one plane on our 11 day stay, and it was exciting ;)

Holbox is not for everyone...it is rustic, muddy streets (if it rains), sandfleas on the beach (unless there is a breeze - and depending on the time of year). You need to be a laid back, adventure type to go here. Attractions and atcivities include: kiteboarding (windy season), shelling, snorkeling, whalesharks (when in season), hiking, kayaking, windsurfing, shopping (go to Arcoirics -Rosy's shop across from los pelicons restaurant - awesome stuff- you'll find Mexican treasures there), boat tours and fishing tours (go with Tanchi - he is the best- seriously - ask Rosy about these trips).

Holbox is safe and relaxing. Some day I hope to bring my future kid there...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenDarren_11
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

I went to Holbox with a few expectations and a lot of curiousity. At times what you see on the web site doesn't match what you get. WIth Holbox Apartments, that's not the case. The room on the second floor west side was AMAZING! The view was spectacular and its a short walk to the village. The busiest time at the beach was during the sunset, otherwise quiet. The beach is vast so make sure to head east to explore when the tide is low. Luis, the property manager was wonderful. Always smiles and very gracious. We had a fabulous time and was my most relaxing trip ever down south. Our biggest worry was where to eat. Ask Luis about recommendations and where not to eat. People are friendly and the Island is VERY safe. It is recommended that you speak some Spanish. If you like prententious places to go - don't go to Holbox. It's a very real place, not walt disney world. As for the apartment, the water takes a while to get hot but don't worry, it will come. Patience in Mexico is a requirement.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Telluride
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed in the suite apartment upstairs for one week and loved every minute of it. The apartment was immaculate on arrival, and we loved the views from this place. The apartment is sparsely furnished with a big queen bed, two chairs, kitchen table with chairs, and a hammock. Out on the deck is a table with two chairs and two lounge chairs. There are 4 ceiling fans throughout the apartment, and lots of screened windows and doors for great breezes coming off the ocean. They provide a small fridge (with a small freezer for ice), and a coffee maker. They don't have a full kitchen in the upstairs suite because of the palm/palapa roof and the fire hazard. If you need a full kitchen then you might consider the apartment on the main floor, but you would miss out on the incredible views. The fridge worked great for us since we stocked it with breakfast and snack items, then went out for inexpensive dinners every night. You are steps from the beach and the ocean, and a two minute walk to the center of town and all the restaurants and grocery stores.
Luis, the caretaker, is super friendly and helpful. He even brought us margaritas while we were hanging out on our deck one day. Since this is an apartment and not a hotel, they came by in the middle of the week to change our towels, make the bed, and tidy up the apartment. So, if you are looking for a Hyatt type experience and all the pampering, this is not for you. But, if you are a low-key traveler that doesn't need all the frills, and you like great beach views, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Telluride123456
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

I just loved Holbox Apartments. I know everyone wants something different from the place they stay. I wanted a great view, a comfortable bed, some kitchen facilities, and a place I could feel safe as I was traveling alone. I also wanted a reasonable price. And I like rustic charm. Wow, did this place deliver. One day, when I could not find what I was looking for in terms of price and amenities, I decided to check he Holbox.com website once again, and, like magic, this listing appeared. I knew right away it was what I wanted. The reservations agent responded to all my e-mails promptly and answered all my questions. It was the balcony view that sold me on the upstairs studio. And the balcony was amazing. I spent a lot of time there. The location is great--between Mapaches and Puerto Holbox. It is actually a large house with a thatched roof--two nice apartments downstairs, one for the owners--and two studios upstairs. The apartments have one bedroom, full kitchen and wonderful screened-in porch. Upstairs, the studios have a kitchen area with no stove (because of the thatched roof). The space is roomy, clean, and fully screened. Although the roof is thatched, there is another storage room above the studios so there is an actual ceiling above the bedroom and bathroom. The place was free of any bugs or creepy-crawlies which you sometimes get with a thatched roof. Even the cabinets in the bathroom and kitchen were screened. There were lots of windows for cross ventilation and, if by some chance there is not enough breeze, there are 4 ceiling fans. The manager came to see me the first evening to see if there was anything I needed and supplied some kitchen items. The owners arrived the next day and were incredibly friendly and kind. When I woke up every morning, I spent some time lounging in bed with pillows propped up behind me looking out at the sea and the sky. And then I took my tea out on the balcony and enjoyed the view and the breeze. The house is set back a bit from the beach, so it feels very private. There are two jetties out in front so there is a bit of shallow protected water there which would be nice for kids. The grounds are attractive, with lots of mature palm trees and pretty plants. I loved everything about the place. The only caution I would have is that the stairs up to the studio are a bit steep and might be difficult for people who don't get around well--in that case, go for the apartment. And there was no rack for hanging wet towels. But overall, I cannot say enough good things about this place. Clean comfortable, charming, and the best balcony on the beach! I will go back and take friends.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo