“Not as nice as we were expecting.”
Review of Villas Flamingos

Villas Flamingos
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Holbox Island
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel is very hit and miss. It looks good in the photos and has good views but when you are actually there you discover that there is a distinct lack of professionalism and lack of finishing touches. It´s as though someone started redecorating the hotel and then gave up before finishing. The staff are not experienced and kinda set the mood of what you are going to get in the rest of the hotel. Rooms are pretty bare and uninviting and we found that the area around the pool was not very clean. The views do impress but we were paying for a whole experience, including a quality hotel to relax in and sadly we did not get that.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Brend00

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel has nice location - away from it all. Views are breathtaking, the pool is nice to cool off in.

For breakfast, you can order anything from the menu, which included omlettes, pancakes etc. The server at the restraurant is so nice and polite every time. Their coffee is better compared to some other places (by Mexican standards). Views are amazing while having breakfast. We had limited food for other meals at the restaurant but it was good.

We stayed in a room in their oceanfrot green color house building. We had nice sea views from the room. The front lanai is nicely outfitted with hammock, etc. The room and bath are adequate, rustic, basic and clean. Beds ever very comfy and linen good quality. Don't come here expecting luxury though. I kinda agree with other reviewers that this place has so much potential, if the owners spend some $$ to make the rooms and especially bathrooms more luxurious. Ivan is very nice and tended to all the requests immediately. All the staff at the hotel were kind, nice and responsive.

We didn't mind the location away from town, it made for some very nice beach walks, which is only 15 minutes and taxi rides back.

We used the provided kayaks couple of times and my 8 year old son had a great time kayaking.

All in all we had a great vacation on Holbox at this hotel. I think this hotel is a great value for what you pay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hetal p
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were very excited about our vacation to the paradise island of Holbox. We chose this hotel hoping it would fulfil our dreams of a chilled out week in great surroundings but it was not near as good as we were expecting.Yes, the views were amazing and the bungalows a nice idea, but when you are charging the prices we paid you need to deliver a very good product and good service all the time. The room we had was nice, but very simple and lacking in character and style and void of those little touches that make a hotel comfortable and memorable. I could´t help but wonder how good the rooms could be with a little imagination and money spent on them. The worst thing for me was the location. Having to treck for 15 minutes just to get to the edge of town was not what a dream vacation is made of. They have tried to make this hotel nice but have definitely missed the goal as far as I´m concerned and I now know there are much better places to stay in Holbox.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank 202LizC202
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband treated me to a three day stay at the Villas Flamingos. Unfortunately for us it wasn't a treat starting from the state of the room we were ushered to. I get the idea that they want to make it feel simple and create a certain style but it was a bit too real for me. Some areas could benefit with a rub down and coat of paint and just a few more luxuries. On the second morning we woke up to an ant invasion, the member of staff i told seemed laid back about it this summed up the feeling here. The Island is a beautiful place but maybe I would have been happier in a more luxurious hotel. Not for me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen T
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Helen: I am really sorry that you feel that way about Villas Flamingos. I want to explain you about our concept in the hotel. We want to be the opposite of luxury. We want to create an atmosphere where you fell life simpler, so you can enjoy and relax here with us.
If you can be so kind to tell me in which room did you stay at so I can re paint it and correct all the details that you are saying it will help me a lot

Once again I am terribly sorry that you didn’t find what you where looking for in the hotel.
Thank you for writing that comment, it will help me a lot to improve the hotel.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I just returned from three glorious days on Holbox Island at the Villas Flamingos. We stayed in one of their charming bungalows and found it to be very clean and comfortable. The staff could not have been friendlier and were very helpful scheduling an excursion to swim with the Whale Sharks, a once in a lifetime adventure that was great fun. I would highly recommend staying at the Villas Flamingos and we used STP Caribe for our transportation to and from the island that was just perfect. Hopefully we will return someday to this charming fishing village, just be sure to bring mosquito repellant as it gets buggy at dusk.

Room Tip: I would suggest the bungalows, we stayed in #5.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family, (myself, my husband and our boys, 22 and 20) just spent 4 nights here and were very impressed and happy! We arrived and were told by Ivan (who was wonderful) that we could upgrade to the "casita" instead of the junior suite we had originally booked, for no extra cost. It was amazing. We had an entire house to ourselves - the boys had their pick of bedrooms, there were bathrooms to spare, and although we never made use of it, a functional kitchen too. We even had a rooftop patio that had magnificent views.
The restaurant was fabulous - we had every meal there except one, and nobody had a meal that was less than great. The staff was so friendly and efficient, and there were many small touches in the place that made all the difference. I took a photo of the sink in the main "lobby", outside the bathrooms - I want to have one in my home!
We had just spent a week in an all inclusive resort near Playa Del Carmen with more of my family, and were expecting to "come down a little" here, but, although Holbox is a very small and simple place, we did not feel like our hotel was "coming down" at all! If anything, the beds, pillows, and linens were better than at our fancy all inclusive.
We felt really taken care of: our first time showering, we realized we didn't have any hot water. After informing Ivan, the problem was addressed right away, fixed right away, and even checked on later.
It's called the Villas Flamingos for a reason - 100's of bright pink flamingos congregate on a sand bar down the beach. There's a telescope to borrow from the lobby area to check them out before walking down the beach to see them from close up. Plus, in the evenings, many of them fly right by the hotel's beach on their way to the rest of the flock. It's stunning.
We will definitely be back one day.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel was wonderful. The staff and housekeeping crews couldn't have been better. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012