“Inesquecível e incomparável!”

La Villa Bonita Culinary Vacation
Brasilia, DF, Brazil
“Inesquecível e incomparável!”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This was one of the best vacation that I've ever had. After almost 10 hours flying from Brazil, I felt at home with an excellent welcome and an awesome dinner. At La Villa Bonita the guests taste and prepare the real mexican food. I spent amazing 7 days there, doing simple things like going to the 'mercado' and cooking. I've learned a lot about mexican culture and I loved it. Tepoztlan is a very safe and peaceful city, it's really a Pueblo Mágico. Thanks Ana and all your staff for your patience and hospitality. I really miss this place and all the people I've met there!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I felt so at home here. Our room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. Chef Ana and her husband Rob and the staff were friendly & hospitable. It seemed that everyone, including the guests, became our extended family for a week. We learned to cook amazing dishes, one of which was a regional mole verde that we never experienced before. Everything was quite tasty and we learned so much. We had trips to the local markets to pick out fresh vegetables, meats and spices. Hikes to the local pyramid observatory. Walks every day into the quaint town of Tepotzlan. A trip to Taxco and another pyramid. Such an amazing adventure. We came home with Mexican cooking pottery, candies and gifts. We would definitely do this again!

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms I believe and all of them are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne V
new york
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Chef Ana and her staff treated us to a week full of hospitality. The culinary experience was a relaxed approach to comfort food; the ingredients fresh, the instruction simple to follow and of course all delicious. We quickly felt we were at a close relative's home. The grounds are gorgeous, the room comfortable and romantic. The group we happened to be with was a great one; we feel we have made new friends. A special thank you to Abram and Mari, Chef Ana's staff. ¡Gracias Chef Ana! We will see you again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mritzstx
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 4, 2012

La Villa Bonita is a wonderful place in a lovely part of Mexico.. Chef Ana's hospitality makes you at home immediately. Her cooking classes are excellent and the results are delicious. Accommodations are very comfortable too. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We've traveled quite a bit to the typical Mexican resorts and were looking for something unique;something where you could see a town up close and not just hang out with other tourists in a gated resort.
La Villa Bonita was the perfect answer! Ana & Rob were excellent hosts! Ana made you feel right at home the minute we arrived.Working and learning with her in the kitchen was an experience we'll never forget. The accommodations were perfect as well. You felt like you were staying at a relative's home. It was simple, but beautiful, and very relaxing.
Tepoztlan is a charming little town with cobblestone streets. We enjoyed walking to town with other guests (new friends!) dailiy and checking out the local food at the market and shopping the charming stores. SO nice to NOT see a Starbucks or McDonald's on every corner. You really felt as though you were in another time. As for safety, we felt completely safe. It's such a shame that all of Mexico gets such a bad rep because of the drug cartel.
All in all, a memorable, incredible trip. Can't recommend the trip enough!

Room Tip: Only 6 rooms at the villa. While ours was fine, I might recommend #6, the last room as you had a nic...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cyndy R
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I had a lovely time at La Villa Bonita. If you're looking for a relaxing, simple, delicious vacation this is the place to go. I found Tepoztlan to be charming and safe. Robb and Ana were fantastic hosts. I wish them well and encourage anyone considering La Villa Bonita to go for it. I'm glad we did.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I just returned last night from a fantastic experience with Chef Ana Garcia at her cooking school and hotel -- La Villa Bonita. One of the magic cities of Mexico, the setting for her culinary arts is restful, beautiful and with perfect weather and a nice pool -- it couldn't be more heavenly. I'm a serious cook and personal chef. I have always wanted to learn how to make those traditional Mexican dishes such as Mole, Poblanos, Tres Leches, Tamales, Soups, Beans, Tortillas -- the gamut of the cuisines of Mexico. Ana is a talented teacher. She explains -- the classes are hands on -- the recipes are clear and the invaluable tricks and secrets are shared with her students. The accommodations are excellent and it's wonderful to be a part of her family from baby Augustine and her two other boys to husband Robb (the business side of the operation). My only advice would be to get into the very specifics of the agenda, so you are clear to understand what the actual agenda/schedule is and the various package options. Robb is the contact for this. Some details of the week needed to be explained in more detail in order to enable guests to plan arrival, departure and separate parts of the getaway more completely. The sample agenda was never modified for me personally. The actual cooking classes for the week I attended were Monday-Thursday (I preferred this in fact). However I didn't find this out until after I arrived. These details would have changed my choice of package and departure date. Details, details, details. Overall a wonderful -- highly recommendable experience for either the home chef or those with more intense interest. I loved the other guests! It was a great way to spend a vacation. I wish many more clients will arrive at LVB and learn from such a warm, intelligent and gifted chef/teachers. Thank you so much Ana and Robb!

Room Tip: In Tepoztlan is a village in the mountains. A real community with cobblestone streets and LOTS of r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank TheCulturedPalate
fredabogado, Owner at La Villa Bonita Culinary Vacation, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for the kind review. We had an great time with you as well. Just a quick note about the sample schedule as noted on our site. While the layout of events is almost always as noted in the sample schedule, there are times when Chef Ana will modify the order of events to take advantage of local festivals, culinary events, seasonality of special local dishes, as well as to tailor your experience according to your interests. One of the great advantages of a stay at La Villa Bonita is that it is flexible and almost never the same twice with the types of dishes you will experience and with the numerous local celebrations and festivals. As a result, the sample schedule may be modified. If you have special time restrictions or something in your schedule outside of your experience at La Villa Bonita that you need to do, please let us know beforehand either when you make your reservation or prior to your visit with us and we would be happy to accommodate.