“Comfortable, fun hostel”
Review of Tubohotel

Tubohotel
Ranked #3 of 62 Tepoztlan B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This place is really cool! I visited Tepoztlan with my boyfriend on a Sunday and Monday night in April, and arriving at the tubohotel really put a smile on our face. I'll mention all the good things first, with one or two slightly negatives remarks at the end.

Staff, cleanliness, comfort - absolutely great. We were the only guests on the night we arrived, but it seems like there is always someone on the premises and we felt very well taken care of. The staff is also quite friendly and accommodating. The rooms/tubes are immaculately clean (and the rooms are cleaned every day), the toilets/showers/sinks are in great condition, and the grounds are kept in very nice shape. The bed was really comfortable, though of course I guess the tubes would be a nightmare for those who have claustrophobia. :) The wireless works great outside but isn't very strong inside the tube (which wasn't really a big deal).

Location - it's not in the center of the town, and it's about a 20-30 minute walk to the main area. Taxis and collective buses are very easy to find. While not being right in the center of town can be a disadvantage, the advantage is that the tubohotel is very close to the bus station (5-7 minute walk) and it's very quiet at night, so easy to sleep.

Price - This really surprised me, it was 300 pesos per night plus tax - so about 360 pesos per night, per tube. That's more money than I paid to stay in the center of Mexico City in a hotel with a private bathroom. the upper tubes are an extra 100 pesos per night (only advantage of that is I guess more privacy, though wasn't really an issue for us), and Friday and Saturday nights the prices are double! 800 pesos per night to sleep in a tube seemed outrageous, but after talking to a few taxi drivers I came to realize that Tepoztlan is not a budget-friendly town in terms of lodging. apparently every weekend it gets insanely packed ... I'm glad I was there on a Sunday/Monday.

Lack of breakfast/coffee - this was the thing that really killed me. They have no juice, no food, no coffee at the tubohotel... and there's none nearby. the closest decent breakfast means walking down into the center of the town. Coffee addicts, pay attention to this! I would have given my right arm for a cup of coffee and a juice in the morning, and it really would be SO easy for the tubohotel to provide this service... why not just make the hours of 7am-10am breakfast time? Selling juice - even in bottles- would be really easy (they do sell water and soda), and just plug in a coffee maker, make a pot of coffee in the morning. Pick up a few croissants in town and sell them for a few hours. I really have no idea why, when the location of the hostel is so not-central, why on earth they wouldn't offer coffee/simple breakfast/juice in the morning. The main reason, besides my outright addiction to caffeine, is that without any kind of breakfast, the tubhohotel doesn't feel like a place where you can hang out and take it easy in the morning. My second morning there, I had spent the previous day climbing the pyramid and walking all over the place, so I would have loved to wake up, enjoy a cup of coffee under the beautiful palm trees, chat with my boyfriend at one of the very nice picnic tables, and maybe take a little sun before it gets too strong. instead my morning was very much up-shower-race into town for coffee.

anyway, you can tell I'm a bit of a coffee addict. if you aren't a breakfast person, you won't even notice this is missing. :)

I would have no problem recommending this place to anyone, with the caveats I mentioned above.

Room Tip: Absolutely make sure your tube has a fan - while it's not that hot at night, the tubes can get p...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tamara377
fredabogado, Owner at Tubohotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are always happy to receive constructive comments on how to make tubohotel better. We have taken your comments to heart and very soon we are going to offer a continental breakfast with coffee. When you come back, breakfast will be on us for the good suggestion.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I mostly agree with all the previous reviewers, except for:

- The wireless signal in our room was not good. No navigation possible (I've e-mailed the hotel and they responded immediately saying they'll do something about it).

- We didn't get the suggestion to "grab a breakfast of freshly squeezed OJ and queso quesadillas around the corner", but I got some free oranges and limes from the nice man sweeping the overnight-fallen leaves. Later, we walked -- downhill -- to the center of town and had a wonderful breakfast at "Los Colorines" on 5 de Mayo).

- We paid 25 pesos for a taxi back (my children, 14 and 18, walked back uphill and enjoyed it).

- Noise during the night was NOTHING compared to the rest of Tepoztlán. Loud music late at night and very early morning churchbells are the rule everywhere else. We only had faraway music and no dogs.

- The room was too hot for us to sleep comfortably. We noticed the next morning that some rooms have fans. As of March, take one of those if you can.

- The pool doesn't get much sunlight, so the water was freezing cold, despite the heat.

Room Tip: I personally liked the ground floor rooms better, as you don't have to climb the - noisy - stair...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank UKINMX
Ricardo G, Propietario at Tubohotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2017

Thanks for your opinion.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

The concept of Tubohotel - essentially a capsule-hotel with rooms made of concrete tubing - seemed to promise a unique and memorable experience. So, between that and the general lack of budget options in Tepoztlan (one of the more expensive towns to visit in Mexico), I thought I'd give the place a try. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it.

For your MX$300-600, you get a fairly comfortable mattress and a small lamp, and that's about it. Minimal place to leave your bag, no sitting area except for a few plastic chairs on a concrete platform outside, no common space to relax when you don't feel like going straight to bed. Bathrooms are clean enough, but for some reason the toilet cubicles have transparent dividers that leave you fully on display while using the commode. Through no fault of the hotel's, we were kept awake all night by barking wild dogs; the area is otherwise quiet.

Location - 5 minute walk from the bus station, if you don't mind crossing the highway. However, it's about a mile walk uphill from the town center, where pretty much everything is; expect to shell out 30 pesos for the odd cab ride.

On the plus side, the receptionist was very friendly, and the bed did everything a bed is supposed to do. Unfortunately I can't say much more for the place; Tepoztlan is a gorgeous town to spend a night, and well worth the extra expense of a more comfortable and relaxing place closer to the center of town.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A B
fredabogado, Owner at Tubohotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

When we first read this review we thought, "oh my, our first bad review." After taking a closer look, I actually recommend these comments if you use rose colored glasses as it highlights our positives - festive town, clean, comfortable, and economical. We are sorry that you cannot recommend our hotel. This is a unique concept that many love, but it is not right for everyone. Apart from the things that we can't control such as Tepozltan being hilly, local wildlife, and taxi prices, we take ownership of a rather insightful review:

(1) tubohotel is a creative idea (thanks!)
(2) tubohotel is an economical option in an expensive town (very true which is one of the reasons why we created tubohotel, regular hotels cost up to $3,500 pesos per night - our rates start as low as 300 pesos most weekdays)
(3) beds are comfortable
(4) bathrooms are clean
(5) Tepoztlan is hilly (one of its charms unless you are not a walker)
(6) there is chattery "wildlife" in every corner of town (Tepoz is not a town for those want silence with regular local festivals, roving live brass bands with bobbing chinelos, fireworks, a rooster, a horse, a mule, a dog, the crazy aunt around the corner - again it is part of the "folklore" of the village - real Mexico)
(7) taxis cost 30 pesos pretty much anywhere in Tepoztlan (I whine about the cost of taxis too, but what can I say? The rutas or little buses run right by tubohotel and cost 6 pesos per person to the center of town which will take less than 5 minutes. This will sound like a cliche but once on the ruta I sat next to a women who had a very well-behaved live hen under her arm - all part of the fun of Tepoztlan!)

There is one thing that I have to disagree with is the panels that divide the WC in the bathrooms. They are not transparent but opaque smoke-colored polycarbonate sheets. They let in a light but are not transparent. You might be able to make out shadow puppets from the other side, but not much more.

Overall, I like this review after I squinted and read it upside down. It highlights what we like about Tepoztlan with its festive sometimes noisy, always lively environment and why we created tubohotel - comfortable, economical and clean.

Seriously. No hard feelings with this review. Give us a call the next time you come to town and we will give you some good options for the type of hotel you may enjoy.

Tubo-Saludos

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Hearing that there was a hotel with rooms inside construction tubes meant I had to find some way to experience this -- what a cool concept! Happily, the concept delivers on what the idea promises; a step up from a hostel, but not quite a hotel, the Tubohotel offers a degree of privacy in the extremely cozy beds (I slept like a baby) inside retrofitted construction tubes. The view of the hills, location and cleanliness make this a great recommendation for the adventure traveler as well budget groups. With the strong locks on the doors and the 24 hr guards at the gate, I felt safe and secure in my tube and on the property. Bonus: The high-speed wifi was fantastic and the staff suggested I grab a breakfast of freshly squeezed OJ and queso quesadillas around the corner -- mmmm!

Room Tip: Try to choose a tube off the ground -- great views!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank pleasantchaos
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Upon reading other tripadvisor reviews I decided to stay at the Tubohotel this past weekend. I was able to make a reservation online with a quick and friendly response. All rooms are 500 pesos, all year round. The hotel is about a mile from the center of the city, close to the highway off ramp. Their website has detailed instructions on how to get there and it is across the highway from the gas station which serves as the local bus terminal. The staff was very friendly and provided answers to questions about how to get around town.

While a bit removed from the centro, it provides a quiet, tranquil location. The tubo-rooms are small, but comfortable. It stayed warm during the cold evening, and it felt as though the world and all the troubles in it remained outside. Unfortunately, the bathrooms also remain outside...separate male and female bathrooms and showers are just a short walk away from the tubes. They provide towels, but bring your own shampoo and soap because none were available. The bathrooms were very clean and they have hot water.

Overall, the tubohotel was a great place for a weekend escape from the crazy city that is DF.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lagringal0ca
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Tubohotel is an original option for budget travelers to stay in Tepoztlan. It is clean, convenient and staff is helpful and friendly. Would absolutely recomend as a new experience and as a great option for the budget traveler.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2011

It is a great option for an adventure weekend. My wife and I spent two nights and got the chance to walk around this magical town. The hotel is very clean; basic but comfortable. The concept is very innovative and can be considered one of the most original "hostels" I´ve ever been. Great prices, good location, friendly personnel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple