“Pleasant surprise!”

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Kensington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Kitchen Witch is located in an historic two-room schoolhouse built in 1832.The school building has been lovingly restored to authentic 19th Century decor. It features the original hardwood floors, trim and wainscotting throughout as well as gorgeous double-hung paned windows which admit lots of natural light and a breathtaking view. Beautifully decorated, it features antique wooden tables and pressback chairs, lovely wallcoverings and window treatments and vintage prints.Established in 1980, The Kitchen Witch Tea Room developed a tremendously loyal clientele of repeat customers, comprising both summer visitors and local residents. It has offered a tempting menu of sandwiches served on home-baked breads, freshly-ground coffee and a variety of teas.We have owned and operated The Kitchen Witch since 2006. We have a completely separate and fully equipped gluten-free kitchen. We do not serve fast food, and there is no deep-fried food here at all. We cook almost entirely from scratch, so depending on your order and any orders ahead of yours it may take some time. Please, if you are in a hurry, let your server know and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. We understand if you are in a hurry and need to come back another time when you are in less of a rush. We have games on the table, including peg games, crosswords, sudoko, word search and cryptoquick. Children’s menus with crayons, and adult colouring pages with colour pencils are available on request.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very friendly service, pleasant atmosphere, nice selection of HOMEMADE breads and more, and just a delightful experience overall! If you check out their web site, you get a feel for the varied/delish offerings on their regular, and gluten-free menu! We will definitely go back next trip!

2  Thank Phoebe W

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family rented a cottage for a week near the Kitchen Witch, and once we discovered this charming establishment, we basically ignored the groceries we'd bought and just went to the Kitchen Witch for supper every evening.

As a life-long vegetarian, I've long known that on PEI, once you get out of Charlottetown, the restaurant options are generally challenging at best. Sometimes your only option is a salad of dubious heritage. It was therefore with utter delight that I found the Kitchen Witch, with its extensive vegetarian, vegan and gluten free menu. I loved the Tex-Mex options, loved the homemade gelato, and when the gelato machine was down, every bite of the "Charles B" Pineapple Cake was "gone to heaven" delicious. The carnivores in my family seemed equally impressed with their choices as well, and some friends that I've recommended the place to were also impressed. Prices are very reasonable.

Debbie the owner really made us feel welcome and went out of her way with the little touches to help make our visits special. The somewhat rustic and eclectic decor reminded me of my grandmothers rural PEI kitchen and made me feel right at home. I will definitely be going back to the Kitchen Witch on any future visits home to PEI.

Oh, and to the guy who didn't like the "rusted out farm machine on the lawn"; good grief, I Loved that machine. I remember when I was a kid and people still used those long obsolete machines. I had fun explaining to the young'uns how they worked, and we all had our photos taken with it. To each his own I guess.

1  Thank BintiDad
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Owner, server was overbearing. Too much chatter about her family and describing menu. Service was very slow and the salad that we ordered was not worth the money, very small and the dressing was flavorless.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Delicious food and specialty gluten free items such as breads, desserts as well as specialty teas to purchase - owner provides service with a smile and very happy to answer any questions

1  Thank KMMG
Reviewed August 26, 2012

While on vacation the past week, I was instantly drawn to a Kitchen Witch brochure advertising "gluten-free options". Upon visiting, my expectations were vastly exceeded! There aren't just some options for gf meals...the menu and specials feature equal if not more gf items compared to "regular" ones. The baked goods were the best I've had, especially the scones and brioche. We came back twice more!

2  Thank erc945