“Don't count on it” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbourville Cottages and Schnitzelhaus

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berwick
Harbourville Cottages and Schnitzelhaus
Ottawa, ON
“Don't count on it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

I recently got married nearby Harbourville Nova Scotia. Several family and friends were booked at the Schnitzelhaus cottages including my photographer.
I live in Ottawa and booked his cottage from here.
A week before the wedding I recieved a call from the owner saying there had been a flood and the cottage was no longer rentable. She even went as far as to say she had to cancel all her bookings for the month.
She obviosly did not realize I was from the area and when I got her call I took a drive up there. I first spoke to the people in the cottage next door to where I booked who had no knowledge of the flood. Then I went to speak to the owner in person. She again said it was not usable even after I told her all my friends and much of my family was booked nearby (hinting that if she was lying I would know. )
Sure enough friends of mine arrived and were booked into the very cottage she had told me flooded!!!
So what really happened is that she had overbooked and did not have the decency to admit it.
I also received some very bad feedback from other friends and family who stayed in her cottages including an extra charge of $20 dollars per person even though you were supplied 1 roll of toilot paper and nothing else extra for the fee. What was the $20 for??
Also a warning, there are cats that live in the cottages so if you are allergic don't even bother.
There is a resturaunt with very unreliable hours. You have to prebook if you want breakfast and be there before 9am when it closes.
Poor poor service, really sad because it is a very beautiful spot with lots of potential that is poorly managed and very overpriced.

• Stayed August 2009
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
8 Thank AMFC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
scotia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

Horrible place, smelly, musty cottage, looked like something in a time warp. There was a sign asking us to strip the bed when we left! How this got 3 stars in the Nova Scotia Tourism guide is a total mystery. Don't stay here!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank cwit
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2005

My family and I stayed in Harbourville for a night and sorely wished it could have been for longer. We were in a large suite above a cute and cozy restaurant (I believe the only restaurant in town). It's such a small little town and it's the perfect place to just do nothing but watch the ocean. There is a commercial fishery right next door, but it's so small that it just makes the stay more interesting. Two bedrooms have french doors that open onto a deck that's right on the beach. At night I left the door open and listened to the waves crashing onto the shore. In the morning, I could hear gulls and the fishermen were busy getting more lobsters. The place is older and the floors aren't level, but that just adds to it's charm. The owner also runs the restaurant. She was great and we really liked her. She had other cottages to rent, but I didn't look at the inside of them. This place is about 20mins to Kentville, which is a bigger little town.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berwick
Aurora Inn
#1 of 1 in Grand Pre
Greensboro Inn
Greensboro Inn
#1 of 2 in New Minas

Been to Harbourville Cottages and Schnitzelhaus? Share your experiences!