“A Nova Scotia Highlight”

Bird Island Boat Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Loads of Puffins, plus seals and bald eagles - boat tours daily from May 8-late Sept. 40th year operating, with a new tour boat, 'Puffin Express'. A coastal experience all in the family will love with lots of open windows for great photos and fresh sea air. We'll even puppy-sit your pet while you take our tour !
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I took the boat tour in August, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. The captain and his mate were entertaining, with enough opinion and local color that you felt like you weren't at Disney Land. The crew were also on hand to answer questions. Since it was late in the season and most Puffins had left already, the mate perched on top of the boat and helped look out for Puffins, which are small birds on a big sea. We were successful in finding them and getting good looks at not only Puffins, but other seabirds and seals. The boat lingered and circled long enough that all of the 14 or so people on the boat got to see everything. We learned about the ecology of the islands, some local history, and of course about the birds' life histories. Seeing the bird islands and the beautiful scenery and hikes in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park were the highlights of our trip to Nova Scotia. I would not pass up this tour!

3  Thank AddyDog
in 5 reviews
"smooth ride"
"local history"

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We very much enjoyed this tour. There was ample time at the islands and fascinating information about the area's history as well as the many species of birds and other sea life that we saw. I highly recommend this for adults and children. The departure point is also very welcoming and pleasant for a picnic or overnight stay before or after the boat trip.

2  Thank Yvonne M
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Unfortunately, we arrived too late this season to see much of the Alcids. The boat saw one Razorbill (I didn't); scattered flocks of Puffins and guillemots were seen by everyone. There were numerous bald eagles and they are partly responsible for the early departure of the Puffins. However, the trip itself was very informative. Capt Vince van Schaick was knowledgeable and has a keen eye for details. We were lucky to see some northern gannets on the way back. For the bird watcher, this trip is a must even without puffins!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We enjoyed this tour so much! Bras d'or Lake is beautiful, and the captain and his son were very informative about the types of birds we would be seeing, and interesting facts about them. Ian (captains son) made it very interactive by playing a memory game with us on the types of birds on the island. They were also very knowledgeable about the area we were in and told some stories behind the history of the land. We saw puffins, cormorants, bald eagles, gulls, razorbills, and many seals. Thanks for a great day!

Sarah Johnson & Mark Mountjoy
Whitby, ON

1  Thank Sarah M
See more reviews
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I truly enjoyed the tour, the information was excellent and the captain and crew were very comical. They were also very understanding with my toddler son who, was getting tired and unruly. The captain was so nice to give him a granola bar, that made my son very happy. I will definately be doing this tour again, when my son gets a little older and can understand things better. My husband especially loved the legends that were told during the trip. I thank the captain and crew again for the wonderful tour.