“fantastic view”

The Inn at Lock Seven
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Thorold
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here for the blues festival in the fall, this place is terrific. We had a room on the third floor with wall to wall windows and a balcony. We could walk to all the venues and restaurants etc. It was great. The view of the boats in the lock could not have been better. Breakfast was included and served in a cheery room on the main floor. Perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jean519
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Lock Seven

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We've been staying here yearly for a good number of years now when we go to Canada, and as always this has been a good place to stay. It's not fancy but it's clean, quiet, and comfortable. The inn overlooks lock 7 on the Welland canal, and the balconies are a great place to watch the ships. The location is ideal as you are only about 15 minutes from Niagra Falls or Niagra on the Lake and wine country. There are some excellent restaurants nearby and 10 minutes away in St. Catherines. Patty and Ed do a nice job with the place.

Room Tip: Go for the second or third floor for the view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjw5082
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I suppose this place is ok since some people seem to really enjoy it. I found it sort of old and dingy and not well cared for, though. Interestingly, the very first thing I noticed when I entered my room was dozens of dead flies on top of the shelf next to the air conditioner, right at eye level. At first I thought it was, maybe, just something missed by the cleaners but those dead flies stayed there for all three days I stayed at the hotel. The toilet seat in my room was broken. I made sure I left it totally obvious that it was broken when I went out the first day but, when I returned, it had been put together again with no effort to fix it -- just to patch it up so it wasn't "obviously" broken. I went down for the free continental breakfast two of the three mornings I stayed. I have to eat gluten free and there was not a single thing in the entire breakfast I could eat. Even an orange or an apple would have helped but all they had was toast and muffins -- both made of wheat, of course. I took a coffee and walked into town for a breakfast -- too bad.

A couple of things I will say that were very good. The location is superb. The motel is on a quiet, leafy street and you can walk to just about anywhere you need to go. The owner/operator is a fine chap -- personable and kind and accommodating and interesting.

About the biggest negative I can suggest is that they're a bit pricey for what you get. I paid about $120 for a single, during the week. I thought that was a bit pricey given that I had stayed at a name-brand hotel in a major market just the week before for $98. I stay often in Toronto and the price was certainly nowhere near what you might pay in Toronto but, nonetheless, I found it quite steep for the motel environment with flies on the shelves and a broken old toilet seat with nothing for breakfast, if you catch my drift?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Blizzardave
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been staying 3 or 4 night each time we go to Canada and have been staying at the Inn 2 or 3 times a year since 2000. Patty and Ed are wonderful hosts, the rooms are always very clean. It is a very quite place to stay and setting on the balcony watching the big ships being raised and lowered in the lock is very interesting seeing all the different types. We use the time at the Inn as our R&R vacations. Always a nice continental breakfast each morning.

Room Tip: We like the third floor middle rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scannernut
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed in the third floor unit on the left and had a pleasant stay with my extended family. Jennifer was a great host and nice people. Hotel is older but I wouldn't update it because it is in great shape and it adds to the charm. We watched the lock in action when we woke up and it was great to see. Room was clean and neat and there was no issues or problems and the breakfast was very nice but no eggs :(. They do charge for additional guests and even though I booked through priceline they didn't prepay my card. She uses booking.com which is an affiliate of Priceline so it is better to book with her direct!! I would stay again and I wish I could have spent an additional day as the neighborhood was very nice and quiet.

Room Tip: If available I would stay on the third floor to get a good look at the Lock and bring a bicycle to v...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John P
Reviewed August 3, 2013

For me, this is very good. A great place that welcomes cyclists. A very convenient place to base yourself for cycling in Niagara. A tremendous place to site on the balcony after a day of riding to watch the freighters. Will be back again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RalphW_10
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Jennifer is a wonderful host making us feel very welcome. Room 21 is perfect for relaxing and watching the freighters. Very clean rooms but could certainly use some updating. We will certainly be back again. Very enjoyable!!

Room Tip: Third floor has the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thorold
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in St. Catharines
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre
Best Western St. Catharines Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to The Inn at Lock Seven? Share your experiences!