“Poor housekeeping”
Review of Summerland Motel

Summerland Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed in the Garden VIP suite which included one bedroom with a king sized bed and a pullout couch in the living area. Upon pulling out the couch for our two sons to sleep on, we realized that not only was the bed unmade but it was also covered in potato chip crumbs with empty water bottles underneath. After removing the mattress and shaking off the dirt and crumbs, we realized the mattress was ancient and the bottom of it was full of holes with stuffing coming out. It should have been thrown in the garbage. My husband did complain to the front desk about the chips and dirt and the response was simply, "housekeeping did check it after the last guest". Well, obviously not because it was filthy. We also had to request new pillow cases for the king sized bed as the ones provided were stained/dirty. For $189 per night with a 5% BCAA discount, we were not impressed with the VIP suite.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank cate1231
rolfie2008, Owner at Summerland Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

The guest complained that on opening up the sofa bed he found potato chips all over the mattress cover. He advised me that he had shaken them out all over the floor, there were a lot of them and he made a lot more mess than if he had simply asked us to clean them up from the bed but I think he was trying to prove a point. We always leave our sofa beds stripped with clean linen in the closet. The fact that the bed was stripped shows that this bed was clean. My only assumption is that the children from this family sat on the sofa eating chips which fell down the side and back of the cushions on to the mattress below and seeing what a mess the children made at our breakfast bar I would think that this is highly likely to be the case.

The sofa bed mattress is less than three years old but gets torn underneath by the springs from the sofa when guests open and close it without making sure it is in the correct place. We have a new mattress on order which will be here this week.

Regarding stained pillow cases, we could not see any stains but the guest could so we changed everything.

This particular guest was very rude to the point of bellowing at my housekeeper when, for security reasons, she closed the patio door after cleaning the room, this had been left open by the guest. Had she not closed it she would have no doubt been in hot water for leaving his room unsecured.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed in the new building, and were completely impressed with the cleanliness and open feeling of this room! Great planning went into this well layed out building. We also loved the table/chairs on our balcony, nice touch! We stayed in a two queen bed room. Only one small thing that's not-so-positive, the free breakfast was alright, but would love to see the cleanliness of tables/counters and amount of food available maintained better. Otherwise a great stay!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
rolfie2008, Owner at Summerland Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Thank you for your review of our property and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us but I was sorry to hear that were unhappy with the complimentary breakfast. If you had only asked for a table to be wiped or the bread, waffles, muffins, cereal, fruit etc. to be replenished this would have been done. Unfortunately the breakfast area tends to get very busy at times and we are not always able to see when an item has run out or a table is dirty and we rely on guests to advise us.

Reviewed June 27, 2010

The Summerland Motel was recommended to my by a friend who stayed the previous year and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by the accurecy of their commendation. I stayed in the newly built side of the property and the rooms were well kept and the continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise. As it is June the area is absolutely beautiful and my only issue with the the location is that it is located near the highway. Overall the staff was pleasant and the woman at the front counter was very helpful in finding us a wonderful restaurant up in town. Thank you so much for a pleasant stay!

Reviewed June 10, 2010

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and motels in Canada, and find some of the other reviews about this motel rather surprising. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and well equipped, with a decent bathroom, kitchen facilities and lounge area. It also had free internet, which was useful for me.

Other facilities included self-service breakfast, guest laundry and a heated swimming pool, which my wife particularly enjoyed.

All in all, a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Auto check in, no one present at the motel. Older motel, but seemed not too bad until I turned down the bed to find the pillow and sheets (well down inside the bed) covered with what looked like dog hair (some hair black, some white and black). Disgusting! Obviously the bed was made without clean sheets after the previous guest. How do you make a bed and "forget" to change it which was what we were told when we phoned the contact number. Since there was no one around to actually change the bed it was suggested that we move to another room. Obviously I wasn't that confident that this wasn't a regular practice of the motel or lazy cleaning staff. So even if a bed looked clean who knows if it was actually changed. Apparently no standard of cleanliness and no one in charge to ensure it. NOT RECOMMENDED

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dtt55
rolfie2008, Owner at Summerland Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

This guest contacted me at 11.30pm to complain that one of the beds in the room had hair on the sheets. I apologised and offered to upgrade him to a better room, he declined this so I then offered to go to his room and change his linens, he again declined this and said that one bed would be adequate but he did state that he expected a reduction to his bill on check out which he was duly given and accepted. The sheets in question had been through the laundry but due to static some hair had remained and as it was the top sheet the housekeeper unfortunately could not see this when making the bed.

When the front desk is unmanned we have a 24 hr automatic check in machine to enable guests to access a room, which this gentleman used without problem. Any guest is able to contact a member of staff by dialing 0 24 hrs a day should a problem arise which proved to be the case with this gentleman as he was able to speak to me a 11.30pm. I therefore feel that this comment is unjustified as we made every effort to rectify the situation immediately.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

The staff at Summerland Motel were very unfriendly, discriminative towards me because of my age, there was not hot water in my room and they were in no hurry to come up with a solution, they simply said wait a while until the water heats up. You can expect to be ripped off if you stay here, they are very over priced and you could find cleaner accomodations at a homeless shelter!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank calgarychick_10
Reviewed May 2, 2010

My daughters softball team were to stay at the Summerland Motel this weekend, the softball tournament was cancelled so we called with at least 48 hours notice to cancel our rooms, we received an email stating that they were halving their cancellation fee of one nights hotel room fee. We were shocked because when we booked the room they didn't tell us they had a 10 day cancellation notice, nor did they tell us that when we called to cancel the room. It is unfortunate for the community of Summerland but we will stay in Penticton for all future tournaments.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Jakelee65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
#3 of 4 in Summerland
Coast Penticton Hotel
Coast Penticton Hotel
#6 of 43 in Penticton

Been to Summerland Motel? Share your experiences!