“What a terrific holiday”

Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Had to try the new resort as most accommodation in the area is old (and not kept up to standards). First impressions were that WOW what a great location on the lake and off the heavy traffic areas. The suite was spacious and clean. Loved the view from the balcony. Too bad the pub/restaruant wasn't open (supposedly mid-September) although the restaurants uptown are really good. Try it, you'll like it..

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed September 11, 2009

My friends and I chose to stay at the Summerland Waterfront Resort for our annual girls' getaway, and I must say this is definitely one of our best trips. We were greeted by friendly staff at the desk as soon as we checked in. As we arrived much earlier than the check in time, the staff was nice enough to store our luggage and point us to the direction of their beautiful pool, where we were able to make the most of our stay.

The room was amazing. It was much more spacious than a lot of other hotels we stayed at. It was like a condo. It had a kitchen that contained everything we needed. Everything was so modern, yet comfortable. I just love the bowl sinks in the bathroom. Deep soaker tubs and nice roomy showers too. We just made ourselves at home.

The beds were simply amazing. I still regret that I didn't inquire about purchasing their pillow!

All in all, my friends and I had a great time in Summerland and the resort played a huge part in it because we spent so much of our time at the Resort. I can't wait to bring my husband and kids back next summer.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Rooms are new and spacious. However, this is a "waterfront/beach resort". The beach is tiny, which would be okay, except as noted below. They position themselves as a luxury resort. However, they have not made the effort to remove the engine block from the water just off shore, nor the rusty metal pieces imbedded in the muddy lakebed. The beach sand extends only to the shoreline.

We found the focus of the rental shop to be on money rather than customer service. When inquiring about the requirements for the Seadoo rental (i.e. water safe certification) we were told that all "all you need is money". However, when inquiring about 1/2 hr rentals (enough for a 6 yr old) we were told that it "wasn't worth their effort". That may have been true, but a different selection of words would have been wiser.

Every day we found dead fish on the beach, which we cleaned up ourselves because no effort was made from the "resort" to do so, even though the rental equipment was almost on top of them.

The pool is actually quite nice and a good alternative to the beach. Maybe the beach was not intended to be used for playing?

The wireless internet access advertised was not working. But we were advised that we could pay for access to the internet terminals in the lobby.

Our initial reaction on arrival was to arrange to stay longer, we had the time. However, after the first 1/2 day we changed our minds. The room was pleasant, but the stay was not worth the money. If they could figure out how to put the "service" in customer service, and make their guests feel something other than a wallet to take money out of, then maybe, because the facilities are actually quite nice.

Meanwhile, there are lots of nice places to vacation so we will not be back to this one.

Reviewed September 7, 2009

Me, my husband and 9 year-old son shared a 2 bedroomed lakeview suite for 3 nights of our Vancouver-Calgary road trip. I booked on the hotel's own website and was given the option of submitting special requests, so I asked for a quiet room. We were allocated a suite in the "2nd phase building" which turned out to be lovely and peaceful, as opposed to the lakeview suites in the main building which seemed to face directly onto the pool. Check-in was smooth and quite friendly, and restaurant recommendations were given, as the hotel has no restaurant of its own (yet!). Having almost been put off this hotel by previous reports of bad housekeeping, I was pleased to find the suite spotlessly clean and more plush than I'd expected. The bedrooms and bathrooms in particular were top notch - fabulous, enormous master bed, tons of towels, good complimentary toiletries & waffle robes, plus motion-sensor night lighting in the bathroom. The kitchen was good too - quality, full size appliances, and decent crockery. There was a large balcony with furniture, perfect for eating breakfast overlooking the lake, TVs in the main room and master bedroom, and free wi-fi (problem connecting on the 2nd day but otherwise fine). Also full laundry facilities, nice sofa and armchair and a good sized dining table. Really, everything you could want for a comfortable stay. Although we didn't have the room serviced during our stay, we could have done, and when I asked for extra dishwasher tablets from housekeeping, they appeared quickly and with a smile.

The hotel's exterior and location are lovely. There's an outdoor pool and hot tub, and a boardwalk out onto the lake from which you can look back and get great views of the whole property. They also have their own onsite boat rentals (not tried by us though). The whole place was just lovely and relaxing, helped along by the beautiful hot, dry weather and lakeside position. Location-wise, it's near enough to visit Osoyoos and Penticton easily, and there are fruit stands and wineries around every corner - lovely! It's a few minutes' drive to Summerland itself, to pick up groceries or eat out, and the Kettle Valley Steam Train station is a few miles further away.

I was glad I chose Summerland over the bigger towns of Penticton and Kelowna for this part of our trip, and, despite what others have said previously, I have only good things to say about the standard of accommodation and service we experienced. Given the chance I would definitely return!

1  Thank SarahGibson
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We are currently staying at Summerland Waterfront Resort, and are bitterly disappointed by the terrible housekeeping and service, that has completely ruined our vacation. I've never felt strongly enough to right a bad review on Tripadvisor, but this place deserves all the negative reviews that have been posted. Which is unfortunate, because the resort itself is quiet nice.

However the Housekeeping (or lack of) is disgusting. If you manage to have housekeeping done at all, it is just the complete basics like making your bed, and it is literally pulled together. No restocking supplies, no clean towels, no cleaning of kitchen or bath, nothing!! And housekeeping thinks it is perfectly acceptable to arrive at 7:30 pm - I kid you not! We phoned reception to find out what time the room would be cleaned, as it is reasonable to expect a clean room when arrive back at 4:30pm, and reception couldn’t be bothered, no apologies, no explanation or anything, just excuses. This is simply unacceptable when you are paying over $300 a night, this resort is definitely NOT 4 star accommodation as advertised. We travel a lot, and stay in all types of accommodation and have never experienced such awful service.

I would honestly recommend you avoid this Resort, Penticton is 15 minutes down the road, and I would highly recommend looking for accommodation elsewhere. It is incredibly unfortunate, as the location and settings are really lovely, but the service and housekeeping are just so, so disappointing! On another note there is no restaurant, or convenient store within walking distance, just a small Bistro that only accepts Cash and is only open until 3pm.

Please note: This information has been e-mailed to the hotel manager [--]

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for a period of 5 days in both a 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom suite and I can say that I was immeasurably impressed with the establishment and the location.

The rooms are well furnished and large. TV's are located in both the living area as well as the bathroom. The kitchen has superior appliances as well as above average cutlery and crockery which is a pleasant change. The bathroom is well appointed and I especially liked the night light that was sensor activated, so if you used the bathroom in the middle if the night a discreet light was activated.

Both rooms had a large balcony with tables and chairs for dining or relaxation.

Overall the rooms were of a superior standard and the only problem that I encountered was that I couldn't connect to the wireless network for the entire stay though I was able to use a cable to connect.

Many rooms have a beautiful lake view, although some face a dreary outlook of a huge sand-hill. Try and avoid this side of the hotel.

The facilities are top rate. A private beach, a beautiful boardwalk that winds through a pristine marsh. Two large BBQ area's with modern and well maintained BBQ's. A great pool and spa as well as a great gym leave the visitor with lots of options.

There are beautiful pathways and picnic areas along the beach, though you really need a car here as there are no after hours shops or restaurants within a reasonable walking distance.

One of the best hotels that I have stayed in for many years. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Before Staying I would call to insure the restaurant is open. If not youll need to bring your own groceries(available in town) or some cash(as there is no cash machine on the premises!:( FYI Hotel staff or owners reading this review....The people who stay at rooms that cost upwards of 400$ do not want to cook everynight nor pack up after a relaxing day at the beach and drive into town for supper. I would clasifiy your advertisements as deciptive saying that You can "Eat local, Drink Local and Be local" and the website which STILL says the restaurant will be open in July 2009.
Be honest with your customers and tell them the truth, the restaurant will most liekly be open by next summer and to expect some inconvienience until then.

Other than that the location was great, comfy beds and great beaches close by.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
The Cove Lakeside Resort
#1 of 5 in West Kelowna
Central City
Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites
South Pandosy - K.L.O.
Manteo Resort - Waterfront Hotel & Villas

Been to Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!