“My 3rd Stay and I will keep coming back”

Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Date: October 2, 2008
Reviewer: Trip Advisor member, Vancouver BC

This is my 3rd trip to Summerland Resort and each time, it was for a different purpose ( local wedding, May'08 for romantic getaway, April"07 for girls' weekend). Each stay at the resort was a memorable experience for myself and for those who accompanied me. We all vowed that we would return.

Firstly, the location is perfect. I love going to wineries and it is my central hub. I can go north or south and find so many places to visit. I also have friends spread out everywhere in the Okanagan area so it allows me to travel and meet up with friends within 30 to 60 minutes of driving. The waterfront is so scenic. Whether I am sitting by the pool, on the dock, on my balcony having a meal or even having a glass of wine by the fireplace , I always feel so at peace and more importantly, relaxed. The rooms are furnished so stylishly and the furniture so comfortable. Did I mention the beds yet? I have had the best sleeps ever on those mattresses!

As for cleanliness, I have never encountered any problems on any of my stays. In fact, the different suites that I was given each time were immaculate. The kitchens were well supplied so I could prepare my own meals.

The service is impeccable. The staff are very friendly and courteous. In fact, I have always been greeted warmly at the service desk.

I plan to keep on returning.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 30, 2008

Before checking into the hotel, we were impressed by a picture we saw of this hotel and we were also impressed with the newness of the hotel that we could see from the lobby. Because this hotel seemed so new we assumed it would also be clean, but we were so wrong. We booked a room upstairs with views of the lake from the kitchen and living room. It was a corner room.
Unfortunately our "beautiful" view of the lake was blocked by dirty clumps of cobwebs all over the windows. I am not exaggerating. They were all over, inside and outside. None of the windows in our hotel suite were clean. There were countless bugs in the suite...on the bed, on the walls, on the ceiling. I even woke up to see a spider on my shirt. Upon entering our suite, we called over a housekeeper to catch a big one in the kitchen. The tub was filthy. It was slimy and I bought my own bleach to clean it. I bought my own toilet cleaner to clean the toilet as well because that also was not cleaned well. We also had to complain about the sheets a few times because there were brown stains on them. Even when we asked them to vacuum, they did not do a good job with that. We had a beautiful looking suite but were so dissapointed with the lack of housekeeping, even when requested. Even though there was a kitchen , we felt the room was so dirty, we weren't comfortable enough to cook. There was food left in the sink by the previous guests before we checked in, hidden under the strainer. Just completely unacceptable!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Summerland Waterfront Resort for 3 nights. As has been noted by other posters, this property has the potential to be a nice resort, but the housekeeping issues really are holding it back. The resort is right on the lake, and most rooms have wonderful views. There is a small coffee shop on site that keeps fairly irregular hours, and the onsite restaurant has been closed for months, so it is necessary to drive if you want to go to a restaurant or even pick up some groceries.

We had a king lakeview room at $200/night, which was an adequate size for 2 people, with separate bedroom, good-sized bathroom, and kitchen and living area. The kitchen is short on cooking supplies - not even measuring cups available - so it's best to bring your own cookware if you plan to prepare meals. The bed is quite soft, which was comfortable enough for one or two nights, but caused some back pain after that.

We requested a quiet room, so were naturally given one on the middle floor directly over the pool. We couldn't keep our patio door open due to the noise of kids screaming in the pool, and there was some significant noise from the people staying above us as well.

The biggest issue, as has been well documented by other reviewers, is housekeeping. The room was "surface clean", which is to say, it looked clean until you moved something. I moved some items around on the bathroom counters and shelves to make room for our things, and found I had to dust the shelves and remove hair that had been hiding behind things on the counters. As instructed via a laminated card on the bathroom counter, the second day we left the towels we could re-use hanging up, and the towels that needed replacing on the floor. When we came back to our room late that night, the towels were all still sitting in the floor. The bed being made was the only evidence that housekeeping staff had even been in the room. When I informed the front desk of this the next morning, I didn't even get an apology, just an assurance the towels would be changed that day.

Based on the the cleanliness factor (or lack thereof), I cannot recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BC-Westcoaster
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My family stayed at theSummerland Resort for 9 days in August 2008. We will never go back. For paying over $400 a night, we expected a clean suite. When we checked in late in the evening it was to an unclean room. The kitchen floor was sticky with something spilled on it, the fridge and cabinets had leftover food from the previous occupants, the carpet had dirt and other stuff on it, the stovetop and microwave were splattered with food residue, and the bathroom had something floating in the toilet bowl. I could go on. I called the front desk to complain and was told that I should call back the next morning as all the management were gone. So I called back the next morning, spoke to someone higher up, explained all the cleaning issues that needed to be dealt with, and was assured that my room would be cleaned properly. After spending the whole day out,we returned to the same dirty room. I ended up cleaning it myself with some supplies from the nearby IGA. The sad thing is that we knew a number of people who were staying at the same resort at the same time, and who all complained about their rooms being as dirty ,if not worse ,than ours. The common areas were also not clean. The stairwells were filthy, and littered,the pool water was murky, and the hallway carpets were dirty. Throughout our stay, these areas remained dirty. Also, during our stay, our room was never vacuumed, nor was the kitchen floor ever swept(as I could tell by the growing number of crumbs and other stuff that fell onto the floor, so I cleaned it myself) . So, we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Diana08
Reviewed May 5, 2008

I searched for hours on the internet to find the perfect place to stay. Finally settled on this hotel and I must say it was amazing! The rooms were beautiful and the staff friendly. The pool was great and nicely heated. We are definately coming back with the rest of the family!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank btraveled
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Wonderful hotel in a quiet area, right on Lake Okanagan. The staff was friendly and very helpful. There was a very nice pinic area with two large gas BBQ's. The lakeside stairwells had large glass windows and comfortable sitting areas where you can enjoy lake views in colder weather. Our studio was large, up-to-date and very clean. It had a full kitchen. We had a bluff view room, but the bluffs were only some clay cliffs located about a hundred yards away. It was spring break and there was a regional teen hockey tournement in town. Sometimes the teens would get a bit psyched and we would hear yells and thumping in the hall, however the walls seemed to be nicely isolated, because we did not hear any noise from the ajoining rooms. The only dislike was that the our hotel wing only had one elevator. To get to our room you had to go down the hall exit to the outside, go along a long balcony, reenter the building and back down another hall. Not an easy feat when you have a lot of luggage.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank riverandsnow
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We stayed during spring break in the resort.
Everyone enjoyed it, they even had the pool filled and the kids were swimming every day. Location is superb and our 1 bedroom apartment was amazing. Service was friendly. We would come back any time:)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mfuchs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
The Cove Lakeside Resort
#1 of 5 in West Kelowna
Summerland Motel
#2 of 4 in Summerland
South Pandosy - K.L.O.
Manteo Resort - Waterfront Hotel & Villas

Been to Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!