“People make the place!”

Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Summerland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Unprofessional Employees could not figure out who's room was who's when we checked in. They ended up giving us the wrong room albiet an upgrade. Which was appropriate I think in those situations. The three of us were given a two bedroom suite on the boarder of the property, right on the street front and the other couple got a one bedroom suite in the main building over looking the parking lot.

The rooms themselves were nice and fully self catering with a complete kitchen, all utensils and appliances along with washer and dryer so forth.

The rooms we not being cleaned properly because they were very very short staffed over this very very busy weekend. We felt so bad for the housekeepers who did come be because they were rushing and looking exhausted after showing up late. Poor ladies having to do who knows how many times extra work.

The hotel was full. The pool was always full of screaming children and always out of towels.

It's just such a shame. The hotel knew they'd sold all their rooms but was completely unprepared.

I'm sure we would have had a much better time had there been sufficient staff and supplies.

In the evening local people of Summerland come take their dogs to do you know what on the grass along side the two bedroom suites. These rooms as I said are on the perimeter of the resort grounds. During the day hotel guests lay out in the golden Okanagan sun and at night neighborhood dogs make this lawn their toilet. It ruins the evening we you are sitting on your groud level, main street adjacent deck trying to unwind after a long day and dog walkers keep walking up right in front of us to do their thing. Until management puts up a sign, ie: "Children Play Here", - which we did suggest, do request a room away from this area!

We had lunch in the hotel restaurant and it was mediocre. The deck was nice, sitting in the sun over looking Lake Okanagan. Great view!

We got some great local peaches, cherries and Blueberries from the fruit stands and utilized the in room facilities.

This stay could have easily been great because the room, location and hotel itself are just fine.

Management is lacking and that is something we truly hope that they improve on because then we would concider returning for a mid week off peak season stay.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Great_Expectations84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed September 19, 2011

would NEVER stay here again. We arrived to a very dirty unit. The bathroom had hairs everywhere and the disposible shower hat that had been used by the person before was still hanging on the back of the door. When my husband called down to the main desk, they stated that there was nobody from housekeeping on the resort, i was surprised as it was a busy Friday night. They finally sent up someone with a spray bottle and a facecloth. Needless to say i DID not experience the large soaker tub, as i would never consider using it.
The Summerland resort will not be seeing us again.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We managed to book on their website at the last minute and got a great deal. We arrived late on a Friday night, and found the attached restaurant still bustling and busy, even had to wait for a table at 9 am. The staff/food/wine is excellent there, but a touch pricey. Not surprising for the Okanagan.

The hotel itself is excellent. The rooms are new and modern. The bed was comfortable. There's a mini fridge, a balcony, air conditioning, some tea/coffee facilities, but no fresh milk/creamer in the fridge; wouldn't be hard for them to provide this. The bathroom is really nice and modern, except the shower stall is pretty dark.

Only downside is the location. Summerland is not the heart of the Okanagan wine industry and you'll be a fair drive away from Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Oliver, and Osoyoos.

Overall, a great hotel and we'll definitely be back.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We recently stayed at the Summerland Waterfront Resort as a "last weekend before school begins" escape and loved it! The location is perfect to visit other areas through out the Okanagan Valley (as there is not a lot to do in Summerland itself). The staff were all very helpful and attentive to the details. We even rented a boat from the hotel, what a treat that was to get out on the water and take in the views of the valley.

We do recommend this family friendly hotel to anyone thinking of staying in the area. The amenities are wonderful and clean and the views can't be beat.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a "Lakeview" room, well worth the extra $
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ThoseDays
Reviewed September 14, 2011

What a wonderful setting for this little resort.

We were lucky and got a room with a walkout to the pool - beautiful.
The water was nice and warm, so were the towels from the little room where they are stored.
Bed was comfortable, pillows went really flat after a little while.

Kitchen was really well stocked, had a coffee maker with little packs of coffee, nice sized refridgerator, full size stove/oven. Everything and more one would need for a stay.

Bathroom was perfect - great soaker tub with shower; pocket door to the bedroom on one side with regular door to hall leading to rest of the space.

My one and only complaint - would have to be the dirty carpets, the were some dried leaves and twigs in the living room area - looked like this part hadn't been vacuumed in awhile. Must agree with some other reviews that the outside was dirty, there were cobwebs to walk thru to get to the pool - and an old rag in the corner of the patio.

Plenty of free parking - FOR GUESTS - underground. In the adjacent lot, costs $25/day for guests, as it is for the restaurant parking (free if you are in the restaurant); therefore, park under the resort for free.

This all being said, I WOULD DEFINITELY STAY HERE AGAIN.
Overall wonderful place to stay.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My mom and I took a trip down to Summerland and booked this hotel last minute for $169 per night on Travelzoo. For the price and time of year it was a good deal and the perfect location to explore local wineries.

We were given the corner suite on the 1st floor which could actually sleep six. Unfortunately the housekeeping was very poor and the floor was dirty and we found hair in the bath amongst other little things such as fingerprints on the nice white doors etc. We just kept our shoes on and lived with it as we had limited time at the resort (2 nights) and I find sometimes that complaining can ruin the experience especially as this was a treat for my mom.

On the upside, the staff were all very nice and friendly. I agree that some power washing outside is required. I was also grossed out by the cobwebs everywhere and on our balcony which is a shame because the view was gorgeous.

The suites are tastefully decorated and the kitchen is great. If they got their cleaning right, it could be wonderful. There was a nasty stain on one of the couch cushions - I turned it upside down and left it out of sight.

Nice touches - there was a wine book of the region to take home which was very handy. The food at the restaurant next door was very good as suggested in reviews I read before visiting the hotel.

I would visit again, but if housekeeping doesn't do their thing, I would complain. I definitely wouldn't pay full price regardless.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in early September with our 2 year old son and our 1 year old daughter. First off it is important to point out that we had a good time overall and enjoyed our stay. The resort is a good place to stay but it needs to make a few modifications if it wants to be a great place to stay. It may be ranked #1 but that is because the competition is limited in a small town.

Pros: let’s start with the positives. It is a great location on the lake and the rooms are spacious. We stayed in a 2 bedroom lakeview which is their top room choice. Note though that lakeview does not mean you get 180 degrees of lake. Each room is different which is understandable to a certain degree. The interiors are modern and pleasant. The beds are awesome. I slept like a baby every night as did my wife. I love the electronic signals for when you want your room turned over. Smart. I personally like the service. I thought the staff worked hard and were friendly. Another great pro for us as parents is that the resort is on lakeshore drive about 10 minute walk from an awesome beach, playground and waterpark. Our kids just loved it there and it was so easy to get to.

Cons: I think a 4 star hotel should meet certain cleanliness standards. Our room carpet was so dirty that our daughter’s knees were black after crawling around for 30 minutes. The fan in the bathroom was covered in dust and there was some mold around the bath. That is not acceptable in my view in any establishment let alone when you are paying $300 a night. My other beef was that they advertised the restaurant but when we went there in the morning for breakfast on a weekday it was closed. There was also no room service option, which is a big black mark for any place calling itself a resort in my book. How hard is it to deliver food and get the extra revenue from the service charge? Finally, please do not advertise child minding to parents and then have a weird system where local high school students get called in. That is not child minding. Anyone can check craigslist for a babysitter. Child minding is when you have a professional bonded firm with certified staff on call. The resort managed to find us a babysitter but it was a sketchy process and we had to have faith (which is not easy for control freak parents). Also, I like dogs and I am sure dog owners must love the fact that they are welcome, but I do not want to run into dogs in the hallway of any hotel or resort when I have little kids. I also hate dogs barking and the smell of dog in a room would drive me nuts. We didn’t have any problems but I have read other reviews where people did. Watch out for that.

Suggested improvements: Room service! Also, how about a welcome bottle of wine in the room? It would cost very little (you would be buying in bulk from one of the million wineries here) and it would be free advertising for the winery in question. It would make guests feel instantly special. Small touches like a bottle of wine may get laughed at by ownership/management as “too expensive” but they get you repeat business and word of mouth which more than pay for the expense. Also, there should be a mini-bar (or equivalent tray), which includes food, candy and wine. Again another missed opportunity for easy revenue that makes guests feel taken care of when they enter the room and may be hungry after a long drive. In-room movies are another revenue stream missed which makes life simpler for guests. Personally I would re-brand the whole resort to give it a more up-scale brand but that is splitting hairs. Last note is that laundry soap should be included when there is a washer/dryer in the room. It feels cheap to not include it and also to ration the dishwasher soap to 2 cakes daily. I don’t think it will break the bank to leave 5 in the room so you don’t feel rationed. Last note is to include an MP3 compatible music player in the main room so guests can enjoy some music but which cannot be turned up to unreasonable levels. Nothing sets the mood like a little music and most decent resorts I stay at include this standard in each room.

Room Tip: Check the web site map and call in advance of booking to see what is available
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Huckleberry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Summerland
The Cove Lakeside Resort
Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre
Summerland Motel
Summerland Motel
#2 of 4 in Summerland

Been to Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!