“Finally! A Winery That Dares To Be Different!”

Dirty Laundry Vineyard
Ranked #3 of 36 things to do in Summerland
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Finally! A Winery That Dares To Be Different!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've visited probably a hundred plus wineries in my time and they all seem to be trying to emulate the same thing. They have similar wines, similar gift shops, similar patios, even similar websites. They're all selling the same thing. Well ... not this one. These guys have it right by daring to be different. They have a great story and a fantastic sexy theme that encompasses their tasting room, gift selection, wine bottles, website and on and on ... from the 6 foot ostrich feather adorned brothel girl at the door, to the handouts you can take home, their marketing is just brilliant. In fact, checking their website will give you a pretty good idea of the strength of their theme.

I've read some reviews on this site from folks that obviously don't get what Dirty Laundry is doing. They've created more than just some great boutique wines (and they are!), they've put serious thought into their presentation and created a "must see" destination. A titillating atmosphere that is still very tasteful. And I must say, even though it is a very sexy theme, they've managed to keep it still very family friendly. Their patio is gorgeous with an incredible view of the Kettle Valley Railroad, the lake, vineyards and mountains. It's simply stunning.

The only problem I experienced is that because this place is so unique, it's also very busy. I would recommend going when you are not in a hurry or perhaps on a week day. Other than that, I can only tell you that if you are looking for something unique in a winery and have time to visit only one winery in the Okanagan, don't miss Dirty Laundry.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Randall W

Vancouver, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Cheeky and fun”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great story, engagingly told by Emily while sampling their tasty wines.
We had a simple but tasty picnic lunch and a cold bottle of Woo Woo on the patio overlooking the vineyard and awesome views of wine country.
It is worth a visit if you are touring in and around the Summerland area.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cre8tor
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fun Tasting room!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dirty Laundry Vineyard is a great tasting room thats so different from all the others. They have it decorated to the nines! Marcia was wonderful walking us through the story of Dirty Laundry, a must stop for anyone visiting the Summerland area! Have a picnin basket and a bottle of wine on the patio- outstanding!

2 Thank Jen T
Saskatoon, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Stellar Wines”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I first experienced this winery in 2007 on our honeymoon, before all their branding and redesign of their tasting space.

We were immediately taken with their wines after having gone to several others beforehand. That year was their first release ever of a red wine - Pinot Noir. I still have not tasted a better Pinot Noir than we did that year. They have expanded their reds, which we've enjoyed, but still have a preference for their PN.

Prior to that summer they had only white wines, which we were also very impressed with - their three varieties of Gewurztraminer will not disappoint. I have just purchased their unoaked Chardonnay, but have not yet had the chance to taste it (it was not on their tasting list when I went). Given their history will making stellar whites, I am not expecting to be disappointed.

We have been there three more times since - 2010, 2012, and just this past May (2013). I am still thoroughly impressed with the quality of wines that they produce and the flavours that they manage to bring out in their wines (it keeps us coming back when we visit), and their redesign has definitely made it a more attractive place to visit.

2 Thank jkorvemaker
Central Saanich, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Why the hype?”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I cannot for the life of me understanding why so many positive reviews. Recently visiting here with my wife and brother, we were all awestruck by how disappointing our visit was. Yes, the views are fantastic (as they are with most of the other wineries in this area), yes, the atmosphere and gift shop and food were acceptable (like the other wineries), and, sure, service was OK, albeit it a bit forced and if not a bit on the haughty side. The person working the counter assumed that my pregnant wasn’t participating in our tasting, even though she (my wife) was never asked if she was participating. “Here, I’ll just put out a water glass for you.” Uhm, I thought people were allowed to taste and spit at tastings. Am I wrong here? I wouldn’t think that a pregnant woman isn’t allowed to at least taste the wine if she spits it out isn’t an issue worth mentioning. Anyway, my group did not care for the employee’s presumption and in my opinion displayed a lack of respect if not a touch of sexism.

Polite, professional, but really trying to up a product that is, in my opinion, highly overrated and overpriced. Because, if one has to rate a winery, it has to do with something more than just the terrace and the branding.

Did I mention the branding? The Dirty Laundry has some of the slickest branding out there: beautiful logo, brand consistency from entrance to exit to gift store hype (e.g., a winery that sells lingerie? I actually thinks that's pretty clever, and have nothing against selling sexy underwear), and a great background story that places the winery squarely within Summerland history. And that's all good, but, seriously, the wine? It's mediocre at best, totally disappointing for the most part. The wines are only worth about 50% of the price tag. The $41.99 wine was a complete fail; worth about $20. The $21.99 wines are worth about $12.

I wanted to like the DL, but despite the beautiful and attractive branding, the OK services, fun atmosphere, it just didn’t make the cut in my opinion. And as much as I really try to find something redeeming about a place or a product or a service, something to let me rate this above average, I just couldn’t. Total disappointment. Is it worth the visit? Sure, I guess so, just to see for yourself. Will I buy any of the wines? Nope.

2 Thank Adrian D