“Stellar Wines”

Dirty Laundry Vineyard
Ranked #3 of 39 things to do in Summerland
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I first experienced this winery in 2007 on our honeymoon, before all their branding and redesign of their tasting space.

We were immediately taken with their wines after having gone to several others beforehand. That year was their first release ever of a red wine - Pinot Noir. I still have not tasted a better Pinot Noir than we did that year. They have expanded their reds, which we've enjoyed, but still have a preference for their PN.

Prior to that summer they had only white wines, which we were also very impressed with - their three varieties of Gewurztraminer will not disappoint. I have just purchased their unoaked Chardonnay, but have not yet had the chance to taste it (it was not on their tasting list when I went). Given their history will making stellar whites, I am not expecting to be disappointed.

We have been there three more times since - 2010, 2012, and just this past May (2013). I am still thoroughly impressed with the quality of wines that they produce and the flavours that they manage to bring out in their wines (it keeps us coming back when we visit), and their redesign has definitely made it a more attractive place to visit.

2  Thank jkorvemaker
"great fun"
in 14 reviews
"tasting area"

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I cannot for the life of me understanding why so many positive reviews. Recently visiting here with my wife and brother, we were all awestruck by how disappointing our visit was. Yes, the views are fantastic (as they are with most of the other wineries in this area), yes, the atmosphere and gift shop and food were acceptable (like the other wineries), and, sure, service was OK, albeit it a bit forced and if not a bit on the haughty side. The person working the counter assumed that my pregnant wasn’t participating in our tasting, even though she (my wife) was never asked if she was participating. “Here, I’ll just put out a water glass for you.” Uhm, I thought people were allowed to taste and spit at tastings. Am I wrong here? I wouldn’t think that a pregnant woman isn’t allowed to at least taste the wine if she spits it out isn’t an issue worth mentioning. Anyway, my group did not care for the employee’s presumption and in my opinion displayed a lack of respect if not a touch of sexism.

Polite, professional, but really trying to up a product that is, in my opinion, highly overrated and overpriced. Because, if one has to rate a winery, it has to do with something more than just the terrace and the branding.

Did I mention the branding? The Dirty Laundry has some of the slickest branding out there: beautiful logo, brand consistency from entrance to exit to gift store hype (e.g., a winery that sells lingerie? I actually thinks that's pretty clever, and have nothing against selling sexy underwear), and a great background story that places the winery squarely within Summerland history. And that's all good, but, seriously, the wine? It's mediocre at best, totally disappointing for the most part. The wines are only worth about 50% of the price tag. The $41.99 wine was a complete fail; worth about $20. The $21.99 wines are worth about $12.

I wanted to like the DL, but despite the beautiful and attractive branding, the OK services, fun atmosphere, it just didn’t make the cut in my opinion. And as much as I really try to find something redeeming about a place or a product or a service, something to let me rate this above average, I just couldn’t. Total disappointment. Is it worth the visit? Sure, I guess so, just to see for yourself. Will I buy any of the wines? Nope.

2  Thank Adrian D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We visited this winery last weekend on a beautiful sunny afternoon. The tasting was complimentary and the host was very entertaining. We love just about all their wines but the Woo Woo and Bordello is the best!! Right in the wine store we were able to buy some deli meat, cheese and bread and the winery had picnic baskets with plates, cutlery, cutting board, napkins etc to use so we could have a picnic on their patio. It was spectacular, we sat in the sunshine with a beautiful view and had some chilled wine and food. It was the highlight of our weekend. We will definately be back!!

3  Thank Mitzy B
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Brilliant scenery, excellent wines, terrific friends and sun all led to the perfect day on the patio at Dirty Laundry Vineyard. As a new comer to learning about wines and the wine scene, I found the staff to be a great help towards building my palate and knowledge base. This winery is welcoming and a wonderful place to relax, spend time with friends and wile away the day. Enjoy a superb wine, some crackers and cheese and add another great experience to your life!

3  Thank PJKG