“Restaurant Impossible”

Betsy's Bar
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Frenchtown
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night
Description: Betsy's Bar is the place where locals hang out. Serving Lunch, Dinner and Late night food. We also have plenty of VTL machines, Pool Tables, Foos Ball and Pin ball and Dart machines. Just like home away from home
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The decor was an incredible hodge podge lacking any particular theme.If Robert Irvine were ever needed, this is the place. The tables and chairs are truly magnificent looking (possibly) antiques that reminded me of a Disney seaside pirates bar. Appears to be a locals watering hole. Service was fast and polite. Betsy was recognizable from the newspaper articles posted on the entryway wall. (One about her bar closing and another about her reopening.) The food was plentiful with some rather unexpected flavors such as nutmeg sprinkled french fries and carrots in a salad that didn't appear to have been peeled. Flavors were not bad, just unusual.
The experience was not bad but I'd not bother to go there again. Given that it's a bar I guess I didn't give it a fair shot as we were just looking for lunch before heading to the airport.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The lunch specials at Betsy's can not be beat. Great food and great service. Betsy and Tracy will make you feel at home

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went in to the restaurant and further in to their gaming room to use the atm as i have done once before. On my way in I simply opened the brown door to the room and went up to the machine and put in my card as i would usually do. an old lady came in screaming that i was not supposed to be there, and that the "door was locked". No, it was closed i said. "get out, out out out out!" she yelled. "Okay, just a minute, let me finish the transaction", i said. "Did you not hear me?" she yelled. I tried to explain to her that i did not break in, and that i entered through an door with no notice on it. She would have nothing of it. She started waiving her hands and screaming like i broke through her window in the middle of the night going through her jewelry.
"we do not let anybody in after a power failure, out out out out" she kept screaming. I was not rude in any way, she was.
It is an incredible unfriendly way of greeting future customers, glad i did not spend any money eating or drinking there, and i never will.
Go to the looney bien in stead, cool people working there.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We ordered drinks and got a Bombay on the rocks rather than the Bombay and Tonic that was ordered. (GAG) The hamburger didn't taste right so I sent it back. There was a question as to whether or not it would be removed from our bill. It was removed, but neither the owner nor the waitress ever came over to offer an apology.

2  Thank priker
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We ate twice at Betsy's during our week in St Thomas after tiring quickly of the overpriced 'fine dining' options. Betsy's is a casual bar with a diverse mix of patrons, mostly local. There are two TVs showing sports but they're relatively small. We came for dinner twice and felt like the food at Betsy's, while casual and not incredibly special, was very good for the price especially among the other St Thomas options. I had the blackened snapper twice, which was really good, as well as stir fried vegetables and salad. My fiance had a burger and while it wasn't NYC-restaurant quality, we certainly weren't expecting it to be. We needed a decent casual place to have dinner for ~$20/person at Betsy's fit the bill perfectly. The service was quick, polite and helpful for both visits. Go to Betsys!