“Home away from home”

Bel Air Plantation Resort
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Before coming to Bel Air Plantation, my husband and I stayed at one of the most romantic resorts in Grenada and in the Caribbean for three days before moving to this hotel. Even though we were celebrating our anniversary and were looking for a bit of romance, we actually fell in love with Bel Air over the other place. (To follow guidelines, I will not disclose the name of the other hotel).

Our cottage in Bel Air Plantation, was our little home away from home. I know that is cliche, but it really did not feel like we were staying in a resort / hotel, it felt as though it was our own little house up on the hill. To tell a little more about the cottage and Bel Air, I have provided a list of +'s and -'s:

+ The cottages came with a mini-kitchen equipped with a kettle, stove, sink, microwave and all the utensils / plates. We didn't think we would want to cook much on vacation, but the supermarkets were quite reasonably priced (especially compared to the expensive restaurant foods all around Grenada).

+ The cottages were very clean and decorated in a cool, simple, and refreshing caribbean style and The bathroom was huge! Very spacious, and the hotel website is not kidding when they say shower large enough for two. Heck you could probably fit three or four in there. But I suppose that is your business to decide... :)

+ Air conditioner was strong enough to cool the entire cottage, but you also had plenty of windows if you prefer to enjoy the night breeze.

+ The verandas are relatively private (except for when security comes to turn on the outside lights) and they have a great ocean view from the veranda! (Great sunsets!)

+ The bed was comfortably and had the best sheets of all the places we stayed at in Grenada. I also was impressed with the size and softness of the towels.

+ My favorite thing about Bel Air was the pool. It was just the right temperature and sparkling clean. The infinity edge was nothing exciting. I don't think it enhanced my pool experience at all, and for some reason a lot of flies hung around that edge. The pool is very deep very quickly (watch that last step - it's about a 3 ft drop!) and if you are bringing children, make sure you watch them. As an adult, I thought the depth and size of the pool were just right. The pool also had an "honor bar" which allowed you to grab a Carib or make yourself a mix drink and charge it to your room. The changing rooms (right next to the pool) were quite roomy and towels and sunscreen were offered outside of the rooms.

- A small sum of money was removed from a hiding spot in our room while we were out one morning. When we came back to our cottage, the maid scurried out and left a few of her cleaning supplies in our kitchen. We alerted management and asked for our room not to be cleaned for the remainder of our trip. We experienced no further problems.

Other things to note about Bel Air:

Beach - don't be fooled this is not a beach you would want to swim near. The hotel is located right on a marina and there are boats moored in the bay. Also, the beach disappears as the tide changes. When the beach is "out" it is littered with garbage (common in Grenada) and with debris from the sea and does not make an adequate sunbathing spot. (but the pool does!) If you are looking for a hotel with a great beach to hangout on all day, this is definitely not your place.

Hike - If you are brave enough, walk up the dirt path that says not to go beyond the sign. There is a footpath that takes you out to a magnificent point with many breathtaking views of the ocean, mountains, and hillside. I have added some pictures of the views.

Restaurant - The restaurant does not offer a wide selection, but it is reasonable enough for the size. I did not find the food amazing and thought it a bit pricey, but it is hard to be choosy in Grenada. (Side note: If you are looking for inexpensive American food, drive to the Dingy Dock attached to the True Blue Bay Resort.)

Why we loved Bel Air - all the luxuries of a resort, coupled with great ocean views, convenience to a great beach (La Sagesse), and the feeling of being at home.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank IamJen08
There are newer reviews for Bel Air Plantation Resort

Reviewed January 3, 2008

We actually found this hotel by reading other peoples experiences and our first comment is that there is not a shortage of anything (apart from a cheeseburger one day!). The gratious and friendly owner runs a small private place in paradize, obviously a labor of love. It's beautifully kept with little cottages on a nutmeg plantation, service is personal and top notch. The manager was quite happy to organise our whole stay and even gave us a cell phone so she could check in on us, we felt very well looked after. It's very private and quiet with terrific views of the gorgeous bay. If you are the adventurous type hire a car and explore the island. You will need a car to get to the beaches, although the hotel does offer a complimentary car to the nearest beach, 15 mins away which has a cute beach bar and restaurant. None of the beaches are walking distance. If you are elderly ask for one of the cottages at the bottom of the hill, its quite steep to climb up.
Service was top rate, great cocktails and large a la carte menu. The pool is prestine and a great place to come with the family or a romantic trip. Fully recommended if you want a rest and some zen.
Don't go to The Rex in Grenada the biggest all inclusive hotel on the island. The staff are very rude and the food is TERRIBLE. The Aquariam restaurant is right next door on a prestine beach, one of the best on the island, this place comes highly recommended as does The Bel Air Plantation. Dream vacation....a little piece of paradise.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank katmondo5
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We celebrated our 5th wedding anniversairy at Bel Air and felt we had the whole estate to ourselves.
Our villa was spacious with seperate living accom and fabulous bathroom with much enjoyed jacuzzici bath!
Did notice lack of trad carib beach but enjoyed secluded infinity pool and took daily walk thru rain forest to La Sagesse to the most amazing beach.(walk is steep and hilly but we got lift back most days)((excellent rum punches)).
Enjoyed taking kayak out to local bars and chatting with yachtmens.
Catered for ourselves most nights as husband is keen cook and fisherman. we had great fun sourcing fresh food in town.
Restraunt at Bel Air is wonderful. Great for a treat or everyday depending on what you wish from your holiday.We loved the veg curry and the rum chicken.
Quiet, pretty, relaxing if you like. Kayak across the water to a lively bar if you want company.During our stay there was a wedding party from Nebraska US who were ace.
We had an amazing time,you can make Bel Air your personal paradise.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emmalloydroberts
Reviewed August 5, 2007

August 6, 2007
Trip Advisor Reviewer Florida
Bel Air was nice enough, but I am an older man and the trek up and down the nutmeg shell paths were hard for me. I'm sure for others it would be fine, but I guess I don't have the stamina I used to have. I should have researched my vacation better, so it wasn't such a surprise. I guess I thought it would be a quiet lazy vacation, but it was hard on these old bones. I'm sure it would be different for others that like that sort of thing. The room was clean and neat. The food was acceptable. This isn't the resort for fellow travelers like me though. Herb

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank herbertFlorida
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I treated my wife to two days at Bel Air for her birthday, we had a one room villa, colourfully painted in peach and blue. The experience was simply heavenly. We savoured the natural beauty of this place, untouched yet irresistible. From our bed, we had a wonderful view of the habour and the rolling hills as they engaged the coastline. Imagine we woke up to that every morning, just refreshing!

Then the villa itself, could not have been more professionally and thoughtfully decorated. Class emanated from the pieces used. We particularly fell for the furniture and the paintings.

I made a promise to make Bel Air a tradition. I recommend it any day!

KC

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RefreshedGrenada
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Having seen the review by nannny it was with some trepidation we set of for Bel Air, however our experience there was one of the best of our lives. The location and views are stupendous, and Susan has designed her accomodation and gardens to blent in with the surrounding area to perfection. For us the terraced nature of the resort was one of its beauties, but this would not be the case for anyone with mobility problems, as there are steep rises up to the pool and many of the villas.
All of the staff were friendly and courteous and performed their tasks in a professional and efficient manner, the food was excellent, but persons on stays of longer than a week would probably need some variety with trips to other restaurants. There are two other good ones within close proximity.
If you are looking for solitude and relaxation the need for a car does not arise, but for us it enabled us to have the flexibility to explore this wonderful island at our own leisure.
The whole experience was unforgettable and we will definetely be back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank johnboy44
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I could not beleive what i was reading in a previous report, this is an upscale, quiet property, the location and gardens are second to none, the restaurant is quiet and apart from no lobster when it is out of season i have never seen any of the shortages previously reported, we are returning in June 07 for our 4th stay, if you are looking for an all singing and dancing, in your face, all inclusive then Bel Air is not for you, it is very quiet and will never be any different, the views are spectacular from all of the villas and i can honestly say i have never had a sub standard meal.
It is not suitable for anyone who cannot climb steps etc as it is set into a steep hillside, you will need a car to get about as you are 25 minutes from the main touristy locations, yes the main reception is not manned all night but this is primarily a villa resort and you have the choice of catering in your villa and eating away from the resort or staying put and eating in the restaurant, that is the beauty of the place, you can do what you like.
we have been to the West Indies in excess of 40 times and have stayed at many wonderful resorts but we keep coming back to Bel Air, it is exactly what we want from a vacation and one mans meat is another mans poison, hope this is helpful to anyone not quite sure, we love it and hope you will to.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank neilpms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & B...
#1 of 4 in Saint David Parish
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & M...
#1 of 1 in Petite Calivigny
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club

Been to Bel Air Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!