“Outstanding Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar

and 1 more site!
La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
Montana
“Outstanding Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2005

La Sagasse is a delightful small hotel located some ten miles from St. George. It has an excellent restaurant, large comfortable rooms, and beautiful grounds. Swimming is good at the beach in front of the hotel. La Sagasse is strongly recommended for a relaxing vacation in beautiful surroundings. Despite the distance from town, cabs are readily available (by arrangement with the desk) and a rental car is not necessary unless one plans to tour the island every day. We plan to return.

10 Thank Peregrine15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

I was bewildered by the April 29th review (NY,NY) which though entitled "Tranquil La Sagesse" and gave the highest of ratings for most categories including service etc., went on to criticize some of the same things that -- for us -- make La Sagesse so special.

We recently returned from what we have come to jokingly call our "annual anniversary trip" to La Sagesse -- after discovering this unique guest house last year when we celebrated our first anniversary there.

The charm and breathtaking beauty of the island, the people....but, particularly this quaint guest house and the very special people who run it...is what keeps us coming back.

We have commented that this place isn't for everyone....and also that we've never disliked any other guest we've ever met there (sorry, gotta say it -- the people who go to the trouble of seeking out La Sagesse and end up loving it are, simply put, "cool" people -- so YOU decide if it's for you or not!)

There's a reason why there is such a hard core following of repeat guests.

As for the owners not being particularly friendly or involved -- I had to stop and wonder if this reviewer and I had actually been at the same place. I've stayed in a number of owner manged and occupied properties and have actually never encountered such personal care and attention -- they're lovely people.

I was overwhelmed when last year they planned, and clearly enjoyed preparing, a special initmate anniversary dinner for us....including an appetizer of smoked salmon they'd carried to Grenada in their suitcase from N.Y.C. which gave me a good laugh, as well as leaving a lasting impression.

Yes, the family does live in the main house -- that's what makes it an owner run property, of course. If you're looking for more privacy, I'd suggest one of the "Ocean" rooms in the new building or one of the two cottege rooms....they're right on the beach and all have some outdoor space like a wrap around veranda or terrace on the beach. Who could ask for more (and at this price!)

As regards the dog -- a favorite among guests -- as a dog owner, I never complain when a dog does his or her "job" barking, as a watch dog should. Frankly, "Shana and Ollie" the La Sagesse dogs, make me feel secure....as well as (we laughed about this with some other guests a few weeks ago who agreed) serving as "surrogate dogs" for those of us who left our own pets at home and are feeling just a little guilty.

Regarding the description of the dog on the beach, I'd have to assume she got a bit rambunctious since lots of guests play with the two dogs on the beach...and perhaps the owner who saw the incident from afar assumed it was just that.

I've been to many islands in the Caribbean and always go out of my way to find a small, owner run, unpretentious hotel or guest house...as far as I'm concerned -- unless it's a rare, rare year when I can afford to rent a high end "villa" with staff -- absolutely nothing I have ever encountered compares to La Sagesse.

And....it's an amazing bargain to boot! I'd love it at twice the price.

• Stayed May 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2005

My first visit to La Sagesse dates back to 1996 - at that time Mike had only a few guest rooms in the pink main house. Now there are bungalow rooms on its side and the (outside) restaurant too has grown much bigger and more professional. Still the place is a heaven of peace and calm, the beach with shallow water gorgeous for small children. No traffic, no loud music, just the sound of the waves and the chant of the birds. Plus excellent food. The chocolate mousse (made with grenadian black chocolate) was better than so you get get in Switzerland, the country of good chocolate!
Hurricane Ivan has done damege to the surrounding nature, but as you can see from the pictures the place is still beautiful.

5 Thank Elafonisi2000
NY, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2005

We stayed at La Sagesse as the second half of our 10 day trip to Grenada in March.

The positives:

La Sagesse feels very isolated and is quiet. It is on its own cove. The beach is beautiful, though not the most beautiful on Grenada. It is the right size for the hotel. There is generally enough space for each person to have his own beach chair, but you still are very close together. There are palm trees interspersed, so people crowd under them for shade.

The water is warm, warmer than on Grand Anse (though not at all clear due to the small waves that wash into the cove). The water was a sage green when we were there. The water is shallow, rarely more than 5 feet hundreds of feet out from the beach. There are a few large rocks in the water (which you can't see because of the lack of clarity), but other than that, there is no need to wear water shoes.

The cove is open technically to locals, but only attracts a few people at a time. There were a couple of beggars and vendors who walked along the beach, but none were persistent when we refused.

The wooden terrace restaurant is very attractively done and is right on a nice stretch of beach. Tables right next to the beach fill up quickly.

The service is friendly and respectful of your privacy. As previous posters have said, everything goes on your tab. We arrived during the middle of a quiet week. On the weekend, the hotel became full and staff seemed a little overwhelmed. They could no longer remember who we were because, two of them said, we all look alike. That was not at all a problem.

They have a nice library with a few games. Apparently there is a television, but I did not see it. This is a place for couples who want to sit on a pretty beach without interruption and enjoy each others' company. A few couples ate dinner together, but there is no pressure to socialize.

We stayed upstairs, in the pink room shown on La Sagesse's website. It was at the back of the main building, which was the manor house before the owners converted it into a resort. The room was plenty spacious and had a huge king bed near the window. We had a small window with the faced toward the beach, though we were far back. We had a huge walk-in shower with great water pressure. Furnishings were mismatched but attractive in a pink, colonial kind of way. Rooms closer to the beach have more ventilation, but far less privacy. We were cool enough at night, though it was a little warm during the day. The two fans in the room provided plenty of air movement.

Our room was next to the water pipes (which run up the hill behind the manor house). They squealed every time someone used a shower.

I think the best place to stay is in one of the honeymoon cottages, where you are separate from everyone else but still on the beach. La Sagesse's prices are amazing- really a great deal for the nice service and peace of the setting. I think it would be worth paying extra for the quiet and view of the water.

The negatives, none of which would prevent us from going back:

The owners live in the upstairs, front portion of the manor house. Our room was adjacent. Their phone rang frequently and woke us up several days that we were there.

Their dog is a constant presence, which is fine, other than his very loud barking very early in the morning and randomly throughout the day. I love dogs, but this dog is not suited for a hotel environment. It was alternately sweet and menacing. When my fiance tried to run on the beach, the dog ran to him, barked ferociously and seemed ready to attack. I was closer to the hotel and saw the owner just standing on her porch, watching the scene. Eventually, my fiance was able to calm the dog down and resume his run (though the dog followed and kept barking), but I did not like the fact that she did intervene.

Similarly, this is not a hotel where the owners are friendly and check up on their guests to see if they are enjoying themselves and if they need anything. I felt a little like I was invading her home.

Though it is a nominal fee, the daily beach chair charge seemed odd for such a small hotel. They have a boy there every day to wipe off the chairs and help you set them up, but he was always occupied with some other task when we wanted a chair (including chatting with the owner).

I agree with the previous poster regarding the small menu. These is only one kind of salad offered, and though it is fresh, it gets boring. The lunch menu is good, with a variety of sandwiches (including a delicious hamburger and a fish sandwich). After I asked, we were able to order from the lunch menu at dinner. I don't eat fish and was severely limited in my choices at dinner. They had a steak one night, which was fine, but covered in the same salty, generic "creole" sauce that covered the chicken I'd eaten the two previous nights. The seafood and fish are delicious and very simply prepared. Local men boat into the cove with their catch every morning and deposit it with the cook. I thought we would go elsewhere for dinners (after the first night's mediocre food), but the hotel really is isolated. We felt so relaxed after enjoying La Sagesse's beach, that the prospect of waiting for a taxi to take us over bumpy roads was not appealing.

I would recommend renting a car on Grenada, since the taxi drivers' driving, as is legendary, is full of machismo on narrow, bumpy roads. We had an unpleasant taxi driver who did not want to accept the price we agreed to once we got to La Sagesse. Apparently, La Sagesse will arrange for its driver (read: its preferred taxi driver, not someone they pay) to pick you up at the ferry or airport. Also, with a car, you could venture to other restaurants (though they would probably be about 1/2 hour away, it would be worth it) and maybe get a spa service or two at another hotel. The hotel is on the nature side of the island, so there are plenty of spots to venture to during the day if you have your own transport.

I think La Sagesse is great for a 3 or 4 night stay. It is relaxing, quiet and very reasonably priced for the level of service.

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank deepblue
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2005

I was a little bit concerned after reading the previous review of La Sagesse which mentioned violent crime ... however I felt 100% safe all the time I was there. We saw no trouble whatsoever. I suspect you'd be far more likely to be the victim of crime in any UK or US town/city than on this quiet beach.

This is a perfect hotel for those seeking peace and quiet under the Caribbean sun. The beach is fantastic and the sheltered bay adds to the feeling of isolation. The accommodation was superb - imagine waking up each morning to the sound of waves lapping up on the beach just yards from your room. The only fault I could find was that the restaurant menu is quite small, but in the hotel's defence the dishes varied each day and everything is locally sourced (and therefore very fresh) so for a small hotel it doesn't make sense to offer an extensive menu as there would be too much wastage.

There are no TVs in the rooms, although why sit inside watching TV when you can enjoy a drink under the stars (as an amateur astronomer from light-polluted Greater London, the Caribbean night sky was a revelation)? St George's is only 30 minutes away by taxi or local bus, but spending a morning there amongst the thousands of tourists reminded me why we chose to stay at La Sagesse with its tranquillity.

A few tips would be to bring some insect repellent if you are bothered by mosquitoes (they come out at dusk) and not to bring too much spare cash - all the drinks, meals, etc., at the hotel can go on your room's tab so it can all be settled at the end by credit card (although please confirm this before travelling in case they change things). All you'll need cash for is if you plan a trip round the island or if you are planning to go shopping in St George's.

So, to summarise, a perfect location for those seeking peace and quiet.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank sm_1016
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2005

La Sagesse is a beautiful place - set in a cove, palm trees lining the beach, never a crowd, warm calm water, remote and relaxing. It would make a good generic caribbean postcard.

The rooms are not super-luxury, but more than sufficient - sort of like a nice rental beach house. And they are all on or right near the beach. The restaurant is in a perfect setting - overlooking the beach, great view, good friendly service. It was updated a few years ago. The food is fresh and good quality - not fancy gourmet meals, but you certainly won't go hungry. The best bet is fresh fish -- whatever the boats brought in that day.

La Sagesse is a bit isolated so if you don't have a car you will probably spend a lot of time at La Sagesse. If you want to go into St. George, you can walk about 15 minutes to the main road and then flag down a van (the Greneda public transportation system) and get into town for a dollar or so. Return is just as easy. Or you can call a taxi, but its pretty expensive. If you want to go anyplace else on the island, a cab or car rental makes more sense. La Sagesse has a relationship with a cab driver and tour guide, so they can set you up.

THE ONE DOWNSIDE of La Sagesse is there has been some violent crime against tourists in the area. Not too long ago, a tourist walking near La Sagesse was attacked by two machette weilding criminals and was beaten with the machette and robbed. During the same week, a honeymooning couple was attacked by a man weilding a machette who threatened to rape the woman, and stole a camera and other property. I have heard of other crime in the area too. The "machette weilding thug problem" is not limited to the area near La Sagesse -- similar incidents have been reported on Grand Anse beach too. Although people like to keep this stuff quiet, since it has an adverse impact on tourism, there is a crime problem on Grenada. Whether that puts you off on the place, or you just figure "it could happen anywhere" is up to you . . . but you should know about it.

If you go, have a great time - and be careful.

35 Thank onekbear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
#6 of 11 in Grand Anse
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club

Been to La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar? Share your experiences!