“Honeymoon”

La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I honeymooned at La Saggesse from May 2013 to June of the same year (quelle surprise). We will never forget it, so thank you Nancy and team.

This is a 5 star review but to put it in context I will start with what we didn't like. Sand Flies. I grew up in the tropics and was somewhat blaze about the little black dots on my legs on the 5 am walk down the beach on our first jet lagged morning. These little */$"#! leave an irritating welt that takes 5 days to subside. My foot actually swelled up like a blown up marigold glove and my wife fainted (Jane Austin eat your heart out) as I applied antihistamine to her bites. It did give us a rather fetching, 'just arrived' vulnerable tourist chic for the remainder of the honeymoon.

That's it - that was what is wrong with this place.

You can read about what is right about La Sagesse in the other reviews. The beach to your self. Picture perfect as it is. The sea at your veranda. The beautiful staff. The personal calm, blah blah blah. It is all of this and more.

So some tips.

Rainy season - it was the start of the rainy season which meant no cruise ships and lower prices, it rains for an hour or two each day - lower prices Vs 1hrs rain? Worth it.

Do take up Boney trips and Telfour too. It gives you a context for Grenada. It also gives you a context for La Sagesse as a place to stay and local institution and what a positive effect your tourism has on the local area and populace.

If you are staying longer than a week hire a vehicle. La Sagesse is isolated and Grenada is an incredibly rewarding place to explore. The van/bus network is effective but be prepared to walk and wait for vans and there is no getting away from the fact that driving standards on the island are not rigorous. I'm afraid for our decadent purposes having a hire vehicle allowed us to go when and where we wanted and probably represented a saving compared to taxis and organised trips. Further the food at the restaurant is lovely - the drinks even better, but again over a weeks stay variety is needed. Plus the local cuisine is worth rooting out.

May through to early July is Leather back turtle laying season. Seeing the fourth largest reptile on the planet up close and personal whilst your fee contributes to their conservation is nothing short of a spiritual experience (and all that hippy crap). Seriously though so worth it.

Lastly if you are staying a while we would suggest breaking up your stay with a trip to the Grenadine islands and Carriacou in particular. Don't do a day trip. This island is breath taking and the ferry is long and arduous (a larger boat runs in the peak season cutting travel time and nausea). Take the time to book a b&b here for a day or two - holiday in a holiday.

Thank you to Nancy and her team. We are more than a little jealous of the lives you lead.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This beach is quite and beautiful. Whether you are on you way to see Bathway Beach or just to go to La Sagesse to relax you have to stop here and chill for a bit. The water is calm and the scenery is great! Get there if you can! If you like rough waters or lots of action then this is not the place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Coconut62
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I always feel at home when I visit La Sagesse. Wonderful beach, great restaurant, Mike and his staff are friendly and take good care of their guests.

It is just a little piece of paradise my wife and I love to visit

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My (now husband) and I stayed here for a week in April-and had our wedding here with 40 of our family and friends. The staff at La Sagesse were fantastic throughout the entire week, were able to support us to have our wedding exactly as we wanted it and were incredibly warm and welcoming to our guests. It was our dream venue and would recommend it to anyone who wants the perfect beach wedding!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xzeniauf
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of February when we were decommissioning our boat at nearby Grenada Marine. So when I came back in June on my own to work on the boat for a couple of weeks, I had no hesitation in booking in at La Sagesse. Mr Boney collected me from the airport and I was greeted by Nancy and Jerry and shown to my magnificent room with its own verandah overlooking the palm trees and the beach. Staying here is more like staying with friends in their beautiful and well-staffed home. Everyone from Nancy and Jerry to their wonderful staff (Samantha, John, Wendy et al) are incredibly friendly. So too were the other guests. Everyone chats together over a sundowner before dinner and there was not an evening in the two weeks when I ate on my own. I was very sorry to leave and look forward to my next visit when I return to the boat in January. I have given all categories 5-stars except sleep quality at 3-stars (average)- only because the romantic sound of the waves lapping the beach and the tree frogs chirping away can be quite loud!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tim B
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2013

WOW!!!! We spent a week here and words can't describe how wonderful this place is! The staff is amazing and enjoyed our conversations with Jerry! They really made you feel like family! Like other reviews said Mr. Boney is the man....so helpful and knowledgeable and if your going hiking have them contact Telfur! It is very quiet so if your looking for nightlife stay on Grand Anse.....the restaurant is awesome...the chef will accommodate any requests ...they made an awesome carrot cake for my daughters birthday! I would recommend the hike to Mt. Qua Qua and be sure to visit one of the many waterfalls on the island and of course have Boney take you to visit the monkeys! We went snorkeling with First Impressions and it was great! The resort isn't fancy but you are steps from the best beach on the island....there is no air-conditioning !!!! I can't wait to go back....

Room Tip: W were in the cottage if you don't like the sound of the ocean and waves this might not be for y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mwaight5
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If your looking for a getaway-this is it. Quite beautiful beach, easy swimming, plenty of shade and only a few steps away from your door. The grounds were beautiful with tons of flowers including orchids hanging from the trees on the way to the restaurant. The rooms are simple but nicely decorated. No TV, no phone, no wi-fi-what more can you ask for. The resturant was good with changing menues each day. We watched as they purchased fresh fish and lobsters from local fisherman right on the beach so you knew exactly what was going to be on the menue that night.
The rooms are not air conditioned but with plenty of fans we were very comfortable at night. Also without AC you could hear the waves breaking on the beach all night-it was like a sleeping pill. I guess for some people easy access to shopping might be a negative but the local bus stop was very close for a ride into town or they can arrange for a taxi or rental car if needed. We did not find this to be a negative and enjoyed a true Caribbean experience. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get a room in the old mansion house.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
#5 of 11 in Grand Anse
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in St. George's
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Been to La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar? Share your experiences!