“Dinners at La Sagesse”

La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
NEW YORK, NY
“Dinners at La Sagesse”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed about a 10 minute drive from La Sagesse and one night wanted to eat out but not travel into St. George's so we chose La Sagesse----and we are so very happy that we did. I first called to make a reservation, and spoke to John---everything was all set.

When we arrived we met John, and I have to say--he was a real pleasure to deal with.
We went with his suggestions of fresh lobster, mahi mahi, and seared tuna. These dishes were superb!! The setting was just beautiful.

We loved it so much we came back on Sunday for a second round and it was even better , because we brought additional people--who also thought the food was great.

John and staff , thank you for making our stay in Grenada wonderful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JulyNineteen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here at the end of our 10-day visit to Grenada. La Sagesse was the perfect place to relax after our first week of driving, bus riding, hiking... It's the only resort on a very pretty, protected beach, which feels quite special. It's a nice spot for swimming, lounging in the shade, and short hikes on either side of the beach. Take their kayaks out into the bay, or for the more adventurous, go farther out towards open water where the big waves are!
Mike and Lynn were always ready to chat us up or introduce us to other guests. Good food and drinks and friendly atmosphere in the restaurant.

Room Tip: We really liked "cottage 2". It's the farthest one, so few if any people are walking p...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2012

La Sagesse must be a rare thing. Even though it was my first Caribbean experience, I can't imagine topping it. We spent 2 hours on the Grand Anse beach and pretty much ran back to La Sagesse as fast as we could. We've clearly been spoiled now as La Sagesse has set the bar very high. The best part about La Sagesse is the swimming. The water is warm and bright emerald in colour. You're surrounded by rainforest and accompanied by an orchestra of birds. Heavenly. I believe Mike and Lynn swim the length of the bay every morning - that's my kind of exercise.

Apart from the swimming, the rooms are lovely and the food is good. There was really only one drawback and that was how loud the waves are when you're so close to the ocean. We were used to it by the 3rd night but it takes some adjusting. Earplugs or extra rum punches might help to get you to sleep when you first arrive.

The history behind the place is incredible. Thank you to Mike and Nancy for discovering this beautiful piece of the world and letting us call it home for a week!

Room Tip: Ocean rooms / suite have great balconie
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emilie B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My ocean room was really close to the water edge which is wonderful.... But the setting - although quite beautiful - was not really picture-pefect. May be I just do not like shallow beaches because the water gets a bit muddy. It was nice to stay there but I would not call it a paradise.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AndreyKom
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in the fall. We felt like the whole bay was our own, and it practically was. We went swimming with the owners in the morning, took long naps on the quiet beach, and ate like kings every night. We fell asleep to waves and the sound of frogs every night from our ocean suite. Everyone was so kind and good. We didn't have any time to make plans for our stay before the trip, but all we had to do was say, "Hey Mike, we'd like to go sailing." Done. Could not have asked for a more relaxing, beautiful trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank britt l
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This place is so gorgeous, I almost couldn't believe it. The bay is sheltered and the water is a gorgeous blue. The beach is broad, and the water is relatively shallow for quite a distance. The waves are modest and so this beach is wonderful for swimming. (Other beaches in Grenada have steep narrow beaches with very high waves and are only for the strongest, bravest swimmers.).

The other owners, Nancy and Jerry, were in residence when I was staying. They were terrific and helpful helpful in every way The pre-arranged taxi picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel. The price was $32, which is what I would have paid for a 25-minute taxi trip back home. I did not tip because the driver was late getting to the airport.

I had one of the Ocean rooms and it was delightful. Having no AC takes a little getting used to, but the large ceiling fan and the standing fan near the bed did a good job of keeping me comfortable. The room was very clean and simple, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I really liked the simple cotton spread and linens.

The view from my window was so beautiful that it was hard to believe. I had a little veranda with a table and chairs, only steps from the water. Heavenly.

The food in the restaurant was very good. The first night I had pepper and sesame-crusted tuna with fragrantly spiced brown rice and stirfried green beans that were perfectly cooked. It was extraordinarily delicious. In fact, it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten in my life. Paris, New York, Rome included. However I cannot recommend the chicken piccata. Way too salty and lacking in the nice texture usually obtained with the thin-pounded meat and quick cooking. At breakfast there was a lovely fruit plate which I had each day. I had an excellent Greek salad for lunch one day and it was the best Ever. The bar is always open if you want a Lime
Squash or a rum punch or delicious iced tea sweetened with nutmeg syrup. The prices were reasonable.

I think this is a very good choice for a solo traveler. The atmosphere is so friendly that I was able to meet people at meals and never felt isolated As I was eating dinner upon arrival Nancy greeted me personally and could not have been more welcoming and charming. The supervisor, John, also greeted me personally the next say and wanted to make sure that I had everything I needed. He went out of his way to be helpful. Jerry personally drove me and another guest up to the heights in St. David's in order for us to go on on a botanical tour. Nancy was always eager to help with making plans for entertainment and transportation. She's absolutely lovely.

I arranged for a massage from Samantha, and I have to say it was excellent. Not just a basic relaxation massage but true massage therapy, very skilled. Less expensive than the same service at home.
And Samantha is simply a wonderful person.

I also think that this would be an excellent resort for a wedding and also excellent for a family with small children. The setting is so beautiful and the open air restaurant would be well suited to a beautiful ceremony. And many of the hotels I visited are on very steep hillsides and are near beaches that are simply too rough for children to enjoy. There is no swimming pool but I never missed one due to the loveliness of the secluded bay.

Be sure to bring sunscreen and insect repellent. I never saw any mosquitoes, but there are some invisible tiny sandflies on every beach and some people get some bites. Not a big deal, just be sure to pack some Lanacane or Cortaid.

I did not find the walk out to the main road to be excessive. It is easy to catch one of the local buses to get around the island. But I do agree that the hotel is somewhat remote compared to other hotels. It was perfect for me, however, because I was looking for a quiet retreat and relaxation.

I cannot wait to go back to La Sagesse. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed and everyone there was so warm and attentive.
Blissful, really.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank AnneD
London
Reviewed August 27, 2011

La Sagesse is a romantic hideaway where the owners and staff make sure your stay is relaxing and perfect in every way. We stayed here for one week in the rainy season which meant the hotel and the bay were very quiet (there was only one other room occupied). On some occasions we were the only people on this wonderful beach with soft, clean sand and lovely warm, safe ocean swimming. We loved every minute and the week went far too quickly!

Mike, the owner was charming and always remembered our names. He made sure we were well looked after by his efficient and friendly staff, many of whom have worked there for years. Everyone from Cecelia, the amazing chef, to Raymond, who did everything from filleting the fish to painting the rooms, seemed to possess the same ethos of calm unobtrusive service and genuine pride in this beautiful place.

We ate in the restaurant every night (except on Friday when, at Mike's suggestion, we went to Prickly Bay to sample some good pizzas serenaded by an excellent steel pan orchestra). Although not 'fine dining', the food was always fresh, locally sourced, typically Caribbean and delicious. Both food and wine was reasonably priced and there was plentiful choice, even when we were the only people dining. Breakfast and Lunch were equally good and to be recommended.

One morning we were privileged to witness a large number of locals, men, women and children, hauling in enormous nets, containing masses of fish which were shared out amongst the fishermen and some were sold to the restaurant, later appearing on the lunch menu!

We stayed in the Ocean Suite, which was simply furnished but very comfortable - especially the huge bed! We spent time relaxing on the verandah with the ocean rippling about 20 feet away. What more could you want! All the windows were screened so it was possible to have circulating air without the nuisance of mosquitoes. We had a ceiling fan and a floor standing fan in our room, which mostly kept us cool enough to sleep except when the temperature reached about 32 degrees.

A car is fairly essential if you want to explore the rest of the island, as it is fairly remote and quite a long walk to the nearest main road.

If you like a busy nightlife and crowds of people, La Sagesse is not for you but if your idea of a great holiday is relaxing in beautiful surroundings amongst the friendliest of people then I cannot think of a better place to go. We absolutely loved staying here and fully intend to return at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: The Ocean rooms are so close to the beach that it almost seems like the sea is lapping at the foot o...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingElves
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
Petite Anse Hotel Grenada
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
Blue Horizons Garden Resort
#5 of 11 in Grand Anse
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in St. George's
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Been to La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar? Share your experiences!