This place is so gorgeous, I almost couldn't believe it. The bay is sheltered and the water is a gorgeous blue. The beach is broad, and the water is relatively shallow for quite a distance. The waves are modest and so this beach is wonderful for swimming. (Other beaches in Grenada have steep narrow beaches with very high waves and are only for the strongest, bravest swimmers.).
The other owners, Nancy and Jerry, were in residence when I was staying. They were terrific and helpful helpful in every way The pre-arranged taxi picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel. The price was $32, which is what I would have paid for a 25-minute taxi trip back home. I did not tip because the driver was late getting to the airport.
I had one of the Ocean rooms and it was delightful. Having no AC takes a little getting used to, but the large ceiling fan and the standing fan near the bed did a good job of keeping me comfortable. The room was very clean and simple, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I really liked the simple cotton spread and linens.
The view from my window was so beautiful that it was hard to believe. I had a little veranda with a table and chairs, only steps from the water. Heavenly.
The food in the restaurant was very good. The first night I had pepper and sesame-crusted tuna with fragrantly spiced brown rice and stirfried green beans that were perfectly cooked. It was extraordinarily delicious. In fact, it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten in my life. Paris, New York, Rome included. However I cannot recommend the chicken piccata. Way too salty and lacking in the nice texture usually obtained with the thin-pounded meat and quick cooking. At breakfast there was a lovely fruit plate which I had each day. I had an excellent Greek salad for lunch one day and it was the best Ever. The bar is always open if you want a Lime
Squash or a rum punch or delicious iced tea sweetened with nutmeg syrup. The prices were reasonable.
I think this is a very good choice for a solo traveler. The atmosphere is so friendly that I was able to meet people at meals and never felt isolated As I was eating dinner upon arrival Nancy greeted me personally and could not have been more welcoming and charming. The supervisor, John, also greeted me personally the next say and wanted to make sure that I had everything I needed. He went out of his way to be helpful. Jerry personally drove me and another guest up to the heights in St. David's in order for us to go on on a botanical tour. Nancy was always eager to help with making plans for entertainment and transportation. She's absolutely lovely.
I arranged for a massage from Samantha, and I have to say it was excellent. Not just a basic relaxation massage but true massage therapy, very skilled. Less expensive than the same service at home.
And Samantha is simply a wonderful person.
I also think that this would be an excellent resort for a wedding and also excellent for a family with small children. The setting is so beautiful and the open air restaurant would be well suited to a beautiful ceremony. And many of the hotels I visited are on very steep hillsides and are near beaches that are simply too rough for children to enjoy. There is no swimming pool but I never missed one due to the loveliness of the secluded bay.
Be sure to bring sunscreen and insect repellent. I never saw any mosquitoes, but there are some invisible tiny sandflies on every beach and some people get some bites. Not a big deal, just be sure to pack some Lanacane or Cortaid.
I did not find the walk out to the main road to be excessive. It is easy to catch one of the local buses to get around the island. But I do agree that the hotel is somewhat remote compared to other hotels. It was perfect for me, however, because I was looking for a quiet retreat and relaxation.
I cannot wait to go back to La Sagesse. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed and everyone there was so warm and attentive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway at La Sagesse, a small, intimate boutique hotel situated on the beautiful and secluded island of Grenada.Our lush tropical gardens, warm sand, Caribbean calm waters, exquisite dining and accommodations are the ideal location for the perfect holiday in Grenada.Whether you're planning a Caribbean family vacation, a romantic getaway, a business trip, a wedding or honeymoon, La Sagesse offers the perfect setting for whatever occasion brings you to Grenada. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Sagesse Hotel St. David
- La Sagesse St David
- La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar Grenada/Saint David Parish