“Spectacular”

La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This place is so gorgeous, I almost couldn't believe it. The bay is sheltered and the water is a gorgeous blue. The beach is broad, and the water is relatively shallow for quite a distance. The waves are modest and so this beach is wonderful for swimming. (Other beaches in Grenada have steep narrow beaches with very high waves and are only for the strongest, bravest swimmers.).

The other owners, Nancy and Jerry, were in residence when I was staying. They were terrific and helpful helpful in every way The pre-arranged taxi picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel. The price was $32, which is what I would have paid for a 25-minute taxi trip back home. I did not tip because the driver was late getting to the airport.

I had one of the Ocean rooms and it was delightful. Having no AC takes a little getting used to, but the large ceiling fan and the standing fan near the bed did a good job of keeping me comfortable. The room was very clean and simple, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I really liked the simple cotton spread and linens.

The view from my window was so beautiful that it was hard to believe. I had a little veranda with a table and chairs, only steps from the water. Heavenly.

The food in the restaurant was very good. The first night I had pepper and sesame-crusted tuna with fragrantly spiced brown rice and stirfried green beans that were perfectly cooked. It was extraordinarily delicious. In fact, it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten in my life. Paris, New York, Rome included. However I cannot recommend the chicken piccata. Way too salty and lacking in the nice texture usually obtained with the thin-pounded meat and quick cooking. At breakfast there was a lovely fruit plate which I had each day. I had an excellent Greek salad for lunch one day and it was the best Ever. The bar is always open if you want a Lime
Squash or a rum punch or delicious iced tea sweetened with nutmeg syrup. The prices were reasonable.

I think this is a very good choice for a solo traveler. The atmosphere is so friendly that I was able to meet people at meals and never felt isolated As I was eating dinner upon arrival Nancy greeted me personally and could not have been more welcoming and charming. The supervisor, John, also greeted me personally the next say and wanted to make sure that I had everything I needed. He went out of his way to be helpful. Jerry personally drove me and another guest up to the heights in St. David's in order for us to go on on a botanical tour. Nancy was always eager to help with making plans for entertainment and transportation. She's absolutely lovely.

I arranged for a massage from Samantha, and I have to say it was excellent. Not just a basic relaxation massage but true massage therapy, very skilled. Less expensive than the same service at home.
And Samantha is simply a wonderful person.

I also think that this would be an excellent resort for a wedding and also excellent for a family with small children. The setting is so beautiful and the open air restaurant would be well suited to a beautiful ceremony. And many of the hotels I visited are on very steep hillsides and are near beaches that are simply too rough for children to enjoy. There is no swimming pool but I never missed one due to the loveliness of the secluded bay.

Be sure to bring sunscreen and insect repellent. I never saw any mosquitoes, but there are some invisible tiny sandflies on every beach and some people get some bites. Not a big deal, just be sure to pack some Lanacane or Cortaid.

I did not find the walk out to the main road to be excessive. It is easy to catch one of the local buses to get around the island. But I do agree that the hotel is somewhat remote compared to other hotels. It was perfect for me, however, because I was looking for a quiet retreat and relaxation.

I cannot wait to go back to La Sagesse. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed and everyone there was so warm and attentive.
Blissful, really.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank AnneD

Reviewed August 27, 2011

La Sagesse is a romantic hideaway where the owners and staff make sure your stay is relaxing and perfect in every way. We stayed here for one week in the rainy season which meant the hotel and the bay were very quiet (there was only one other room occupied). On some occasions we were the only people on this wonderful beach with soft, clean sand and lovely warm, safe ocean swimming. We loved every minute and the week went far too quickly!

Mike, the owner was charming and always remembered our names. He made sure we were well looked after by his efficient and friendly staff, many of whom have worked there for years. Everyone from Cecelia, the amazing chef, to Raymond, who did everything from filleting the fish to painting the rooms, seemed to possess the same ethos of calm unobtrusive service and genuine pride in this beautiful place.

We ate in the restaurant every night (except on Friday when, at Mike's suggestion, we went to Prickly Bay to sample some good pizzas serenaded by an excellent steel pan orchestra). Although not 'fine dining', the food was always fresh, locally sourced, typically Caribbean and delicious. Both food and wine was reasonably priced and there was plentiful choice, even when we were the only people dining. Breakfast and Lunch were equally good and to be recommended.

One morning we were privileged to witness a large number of locals, men, women and children, hauling in enormous nets, containing masses of fish which were shared out amongst the fishermen and some were sold to the restaurant, later appearing on the lunch menu!

We stayed in the Ocean Suite, which was simply furnished but very comfortable - especially the huge bed! We spent time relaxing on the verandah with the ocean rippling about 20 feet away. What more could you want! All the windows were screened so it was possible to have circulating air without the nuisance of mosquitoes. We had a ceiling fan and a floor standing fan in our room, which mostly kept us cool enough to sleep except when the temperature reached about 32 degrees.

A car is fairly essential if you want to explore the rest of the island, as it is fairly remote and quite a long walk to the nearest main road.

If you like a busy nightlife and crowds of people, La Sagesse is not for you but if your idea of a great holiday is relaxing in beautiful surroundings amongst the friendliest of people then I cannot think of a better place to go. We absolutely loved staying here and fully intend to return at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: The Ocean rooms are so close to the beach that it almost seems like the sea is lapping at the foot o...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravellingElves
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Our review of La Sagesse maybe tainted by our mis fortune to have experienced 4 days of almost non stop rain in the dry season! The beach was covered in washed up debris, the water brown from an adjacent river which outlets into the sea. This beach was once listed by Sunday Times as no 3 in the world. We have experienced much better in the last few weeks in the Caribbean.
The owners Mike & Lynn have created a very special place, with an informal relaxed atmosphere. Many of the guests whilst we were there were repeat customers (of several years) with children, something we had not anticipated, but then it was half term.
Our room, ‘upstairs’ in the main building was basic but comfortable, there is no air con, TV or coffee maker, and no real out side space. Which when the weather is not great is an issue. We had a glimpse of the sea . The in room Wi-Fi worked well.On arrival I asked if it was possible to get coffee in the morning. Of course, just come in the kitchen and help yourself , Lynn said. The coffee with added cinnamon, was not great and on check out I found it was charged at 8 EC plus service per cup? Not quite the relaxed invitation I had imagined. The staff were excellent, supporting and endorsing the ethos that Mike and Lynn have created. We ate at the hotel each evening and must say the food was excellent. The wine choice was also good and well priced. I guess had we gone out of school hols and with the sun shining we might have felt better, but we actually prefer a more traditional hotel/client set up. It is clear from other comments and the guests we met, they are doing something right!
A car in our view is essential.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TodgeProvence_France
Reviewed February 13, 2011

At the end of our week-long stay we did indeed feel like part of a very happy family, and I know other guests who left before us felt the same. This was all due to the efforts of our wonderful hosts, Mike and Lynn whose main aim was to ensure that all their guests relaxed and enjoyed this splendid location and their unstinting hospitality. They remember your name from day one, and introduce you to the other guests....by name, (not easy)! They have trained their staff, who obviously enjoy their work, to a high level so that the quality of service is excellent. We never had to wait, and nothing was too much trouble.
The menus, though relatively simple contained innovative and interesting dishes and the food was beautifully prepared and presented. The swordfish and the tuna in particular was always cooked to perfection, and I had never enjoyed flying-fish before.
Memories of the breakfast fruit plate which one morning comprised nine different fruits will last a long time!
A beautiful beach with safe swimming, combined with simple but comfortable accommodation and delicious food, plus a host and hostess who constantly exceeded our expectations, who could ask for anything more?
Thank you Lynn, thank you Mike for the privelege of being your guests for one precious week.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monorthconnel
Reviewed November 28, 2010

La Sagesse is a special place and soothes on so many levels.

We stayed 11 nights and spent the time exploring the island and totally chilling out on the fantastic beach - golden sand, coconut palm shaded, water calm and safe for swimming.

Our hosts Mike and Lynn and all of the staff went out of their way to ensure that we got the most out of our time there, and provided us with excellent tips and information on what to see and do.

We stayed in two rooms, the Ocean Suite and the Pink Room, both well proportioned and simply but charmingly decorated. Large ceiling fans keep the rooms cool enough to sleep and the screened windows mean you can throw them open at night and be lulled by the sounds of the waves and tree frogs.

The hotel may feel remote to some but this means lots of space on the beach and transport links during the day are good if you are prepared to walk the 5 minutes to the main road. If you are going to hire a car get Boney to give you his orientation tour ($25 an hour) and buy a good road map - the independence this gives you is worth every penny.

What becomes apparent from the outset is how much Mike and his staff care for the island and La Sagesse. Mike and Lynn are excellent hosts, managing to balance friendliness and guidance with allowing their guests privacy and independence.

The communal areas are comfortable, welcoming and full of interesting art and personal touches and the food served for breakfast, lunch and evening meals is varied, locally produced and delicious - the best we found on the island. If you want to know what's on the menu that night keep an eye on the fisherman coming into the bay during the day.

Everything at La Sagesse from the rooms, the decor, the food, the staff and the easy going nature of the host creates an uncomplicated style that belies the effort made to create this little piece of heaven - kick you shoes off and enjoy - the effect will stay with you for a long time.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank harvesthome
Reviewed November 18, 2010

We spent 4 nights here the first week of November. The location is fairly remote from pretty much anything else, so bear this in mind, you will need a car if you want to go anywhere. However, if you want total relaxation away from it all this is heaven. The beach, brown sand, is clean and very safe for swimming. We had a room in the main house, ground floor. The room was large and spotlessly clean, with a huge comfortable bed and a large bathroom. It was very simple with a small table and fridge, no air-con but did have a ceiling fan - we were comfortable enough. What it lacked in facilities, it more than made up for in charm. We have stayed in hundreds of rooms all over the world, from shacks to high end 5 star suites. Charm is something that cannot be manufactured, bought or installed. A place either has it or it doesn't. La Sagesse has it. To hear the waves breaking 15 metres away from your front door, and the insects and frogs at night, then the birds in the morning is worth more than any mini-bar, internet port or fancy tv. The drinks and food at the restaurant are reasonably priced considering the location, and the food like the room was simple but delicious. The American owner, Mike & his partner Lynn, were friendly and helpfull and always around if we needed anything. Providing you want a simple, away-from-it-all experience in Grenada, I would highly recommend La Sagesse.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helvellyn
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Well it's been three years since I last visited. I went back again but this time bringing my mum along. What a wonderful place and it hasn't changed at all.

La Sagresse is a 25min drive from the airport, along main roads and then down a track into the nature reserve. I booked an Ocean room (there are three of these rooms facing the ocean) - I would say that these are the best rooms as the other rooms are (only slightly) more set back from the beach. There's no air conditioning but there is a roof fan and an amble cool breeze from the sea so you never feel to hot. The room was perfect; I loved waking up to see a picture postcard view through the windows.

The food is tremendous so we ate here for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We watch the fishermen bring in giant lobsters and that would be the special for the night.

The beach is empty with just a few locals swimming or the fishermen netting near the beach (and I got to see and handle fresh mackeral). Otherwise it was just us and the beach tidy up person (who would find me a fresh coconut, chop it so that I could taste fresh coconut water - yum). I am not a confident swimmer but my mum and I loved to swim in the shallow water in the bay, which was the temperature of bath water.

I usually stay in 5* hotels but this is luxury - no checkin, no checkout (we will pick you up at noon so go and have a swim and keep your room). Mike the owner, knows you by name and eats at the restaurant and sorts out trips; we waited until we got to La Sagresse so that Mike could organise our perfect day out sailing.

Any gripes? The only one is that the transfer from the airport is not with a member of Mike's staff , rather a taxi driver (Jerome) picks you up. It cost us $31 US dollars, which I thought was a bit steep for a shortest drive. It was $50 US dollars return for a 30 min round trip for the sailing day - I did feel like the taxi driver was making up the amount so perhaps get a quote with Mike before agreeing to a transfer. Just a minor point.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Catherine_London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint David Parish
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & R...
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & Marina
Le Phare Bleu Boutique Hotel & M...
#1 of 1 in Petite Calivigny
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
Gem Holiday Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in St. George's
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse

Been to La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar? Share your experiences!