“Good budget hotel”

La Heliconia
Carenage
“Good budget hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the hotel. We were warmly greeted by the owner's mother on our arrival. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and we were satisfied with the amenities. La Heliconia's proximity to the airport, capital St. George's and Groom's Bay makes it an ideal place for the adventurous traveller. The only major downside is its proximity to the highway as the passing vehicles at night may wake you.

Thanks again Letoya for a wonderful stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AE267
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments, glad that you enjoyed your stay here at La Heliconia. Sorry I was not here to meet you, but as you can see, my mum done a great job to welcome you.

Debbie and Francis Bishop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My Fiance and I recently spent four days at these apartments. We were warmly greeted by the owner's mother, who even helped us carry our luggage to the room. A beautifully decorated and well maintained accommodation. There was a friendly and warm feel to the place which is run by a most welcoming family. We will definitely be staying here again and I have already recommended the accommodation to my future sister in law and her fiancé. I have booked family members into the La Heliconia who are attending my wedding later this year.

Room Tip: Room 107 is a very nice deluxe apartment. I can also say that their standard room is also very good...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Glad that you liked your apartment and enjoyed your stay here with us. Looking forward to your return in October for your wedding trip. Thank you so much for recommending us to your family.

See you soon.

With warm regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Take it from a fastiduous world traveller - if you are looking for an airport apartment and not a hotel then this is the best by far. A quiet and efficient family run set of apartments with mod cons, hair & beauty and massage facilities, dining; what more do we need? Efficiently managed by ex-pats who know what we need, thank you Debbie and Bishop. Ideally 5 minutes from the airport and not under the flight path, accessible local transport to St George's and beyond or car rental can be arranged for you, and just a 5 minute walk behind the apartments to one of my favourite quiet beach for my daily early morning swim! For those who want to complain about a few 'bug bites' - welcome to Grenada cha! Mosquito and sandfly bites are part of the Island's characteristics! However, not many seen at La Heliconia throughout the building as there is often a fresh cool sea breeze blowing in the air. The apartments are both clean and spacious. When travelling I always consider saving on electricity and water by using and turning off when not in the apartment. It's common sense and courteous to save on energy on the island. My third annual visit - I am looking forward to returning in July. Please save me apt 101. Repeat guest ;) See you again!

Room Tip: Apartment 101 is my favourite ;)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Shirley N
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you ever so much for your kind comments and letting Trip Advisor travellers see what La Heliconia is all about.
We are looking forward to your stay here with us again, and I have got Apartment 101 booked for your vacation. It customers as your self that keeps us going for excellence, Glad that we can be a part of your experience, for you to enjoy all your hols here with us in Grenada.

Debbie and Bishop
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My sister and I have just returned from Carriacou, Grenada (12th April) and spent two nights either end of our holiday at La Heliconia ) - going to and returning from Carriacou.

This Hotel was recommended and everything I was told was 100% accurate from the rooms through to the service!! The owners Debbie and Bishop made us more than welcome and would definitely visit La Heliconia again - it was a perfect stopover which suited our every need.

Thank you Debbie and tell Bishop he certainly left my sister with a big smile!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NubianKat
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you very much for you kind remarks. We enjoyed having you and your sister here with us. I am glad that my husband left a smile on your sisters face. You are doing a wonderful job.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently stayed there (March 22nd thru 30th) and my legs and arms were literally eaten alive, by bugs and bed bugs. The owner, Debbie never apologized and her husband, Bishop made jokes about it. He said that it was common to be eaten alive, in your bed, in Grenada, by bugs and that I and other passengers on the plane will be comparing bug bites. Debbie also charged me $40.00 ec's for two meals, during my stay at the beginning, but $20.00 ec's, next to my last dsy there for a breakfast., in which I only ate eggs and toast. I provided my own juice, which I bought at the store, as well as the mango. She told me that she was charging me 5 ec's for cutting it. I couldn't believe her. Delta airlines booked this location for me, not knowing that this place is actually a motel, not a hotel. In order to enjoy your entire stay in Grenada, another choice where to stay is highly recommended. There is also no ocean or garden view, at this place. There is a view of the road and unkept landscape. The condition of my room made me wonder, if the floors had ever seen a broom and mop. The lounge, in the guest area hadn't seen a good cleaning. The glass top on a table was filthy and the magazines were filled with dust. One coffee table was missing the glass top. I love the island, but my room was less desireable. I will never stay there again, because I value my health. For three days everytime, I left my room someone would turn off the air conditioner. I had to finally tell Debbie that I didn't want anyone in my room. I returned to a smoldering hot room, at night. The bugs were possibly getting in through underneath the door, since you can see outside, because they were not measured correctly.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank 2sexy4u
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear miss Ross, I am very sad by your comments. After I spent so much time with you when you had no luggage, took you shopping, helping to sort out your phone, free up grade on your apartment!
You even tried to leave with out paying your bill.
Yes you got a few bites from mosquitoes, but this is quite common in the caribbean. What you saw in your room was ants as I told you. They are called ANTS not bugs. You said you are looking for a place to retirement! The caribbean may not be the place for you.
I know you was upset by the very few bites, you even had your toes repolished and refused to pay, saying it was my falt that your polished came off as you sprayed them with repellant.
I still gave you a free ride to the airport, helped you with your luggage into the terminal, and you did not even say thanks!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2013

my son and I had the most relaxing, quite vacation at heliconia, aunty Debbie as my son called her was amazing, truly amazing, she was always available for whatever we needed ideas about where to go and what to do on the island... amazing, the place was very clean and well kept her staff was also just as amazing, for the price truly amazing, a gem the beach was only an 6-8 minutes walk... very beautiful and quite (theres also a car rental service 3 minutes away)

Nadine and connor

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nana7819
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Nadine,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. It was so nice having Camron around. Glad you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to your visit in December. You will have to bring your husband along next time! Thanks for the gifts.

Kind regards

Debbie and Francis
Amriswil, Switzerland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at La Heliconia for 5 nights in early February and one more night after we came back from Carriacou island in mid-February. The hotel had airport pick-up service which was free from 9 am to 5 pm but cost 10 US$ or 25 EC$ if you arrived or left earlier or later. This seemed rather expensive as the hotel is half a mile or a slow 10 minutes' walk from the airport. Our standard one bedroom apartment no 101 was at the ground floor corner next to the driveway. It consisted of a sizeable lounge/kitchen with a gas stove, a small table with 2 chairs and a sofa plus coffee table. There was a somewhat larger table in the bedroom, apart from a double bed, one small bed-side table and a large wardrobe. The bathroom was spacious and bright. As there was a locked door to the adjacent suite, there was occasional noise from guests arriving late. The rooms were in perfect condition but somewhat cheerless, as there were no pictures on the walls. Breakfast was rather scanty, with tea or coffee, fresh fruit and 4 small half slices of very dry toast with very little butter and jam. You can probably get more if you ask. We just asked for the fruit on the following mornings and made our own breakfast in the room. We hired a 5 door Suzuki Escudo from La Heliconia for 3 days at US$ 65 per day including insurance and free drop-off in St. George's. Owner Debbie was talkative but friendly and helpful. Someday she will hopefully be able to point out where her hotel precisely is on the tourist map. Turn right into the first street towards the airport and walk north across the hill for 15 minutes to a nice beach and upper class restaurant. A short walk up the side street on the other side of the main road takes you to a hilltop lookout with views of the airport, runway, and south coast. Stop a bus no 1 to Grand Anse and St. George's in front of the hotel. EC$ 2.50 to Grand Anse, EC$ 5 to St. George's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heinrich G
LaHeliconia, Owner at La Heliconia, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. Glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.