Hibiscus Valley Inn(Marigot)(Great Value!)
$59
$38
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Serenity Lodges Dominica(Marigot)(Great Value!)
$52
Free cancellation until 07/27
$138
$125
  • Breakfast included
Sunrise Farm Cottages(Castle Bruce)
$83
Orbitz.com
$152
$139
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe riverthe main roadnatural pooleco lodgeenjoy naturecouple hourslocal knowledgebeautiful placelocal foodamazing foodoff gridmade us feel at homeguadalupecabinmartinbirdscooking
Reviewed July 5, 2017

Staying at this retreat was what we looked forward to most on our Caribbean trip. I enjoyed being off the grid with no phone and when Guadeloupe offered to hotspot our phones in the evening, we didn't take her up on the offer. It isn't every time one gets to stay in a rainforest lodge with a natural pool just by the entrance and hike trails all around.

Guadeloupe was a kind and gracious host, and her meals were very tasty.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2017

If you read the other reviews posted for ROOTS, lightly (or not so lightly) layered into virtually all of the comments is some positive reference to Guadalupe and Martin, the owners/proprietors of this rainforest experience...and I concur. My overall rating of "5" is a combination of "4" for the environment, lodging, cooking, and ambiance G&M provided for our stay (you do have to be prepared for a bumpy 12-minute ride in a 4W-drive vehicle to get to and from ROOTS to the main road).

But presuming that getting to know other folks from around the world is even remotely interesting to you, or if it matters to you that you truly matter to the people providing you lodging, food, suggestions for activities and local knowledge, then when you meet Guadalupe and Martin, you'll know why our rating for ROOTS is an aggregate "5"...they are charming and approachable, the icing on ROOTS' cake and you'll remember them as hosts perhaps even long after you've forgotten your experiences in Dominica. Now, isn't that what one calls "priceless"?

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the single cabins...
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2017

Let me first off say that giving this retreat a rating was incredibly difficult. The couple who run the place are absolutely amazing and they work hard to make sure that you enjoy your stay in Dominica. They are very friendly and we really enjoyed meeting them. They also have the 3 most adorable pets (if you are an animal person) that will just melt your heart.

I hate to say anything bad about the retreat because we really did enjoy our time, however it wasn't necessarily what we expected. We booked our place through the hotwire program that books you a hotel at a discount, but you won't know what you get until you commit. For those of you who can appreciate eco resorts in the jungle, then this place will be perfect. We could appreciate the spectacular views, and the room was decent. We only had a couple hours of power per evening, which was fine. However we did struggle a bit with sleeping at night and would have slept much better with a small fan or something.

The couple was also kind enough to provide us with some power adapters for our cell phones, towels for the beach, and any meal we requested.

Be prepared for a long drive through the jungle, and make sure to have a vehicle that can get through rough terrain.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2017

If you are held to ransom by your phone, need electricity constantly or cannot breathe without putting it on facebook then this is probably not the place for you. (Although, maybe give it a go, it might surprise you). If you want to really relax and unwind, switch off from modern day distractions, enjoy nature that is completely unspoiled, have amazing food cooked for you by lovely, kind and generous hosts, then this is definitely the place for you! This is a truly wonderful place to stay.

Firstly, Guadalupe and Martin are just so helpful, friendly and welcoming; I felt at home as soon as I got there. Plus they have a very friendly and sweet dog, Coca, which was a bonus! Before I left home Guadalupe had been very prompt in emailing me back and sorting out different activities that I had wanted to do. She arranged all my pick-ups (by the great driver Morris!) from the airport and back to where I was staying for the other part of my trip. Martin and Guadalupe had some friends staying at the time I was there, and they all came along with me to the river tubing activity that they had helped book for me. It was so much fun as a solo traveller to be able to do that kind of activity with other people. Each night I was served just beautiful, delicious food – Guadalupe’s cooking was incredible! And the breakfasts were all brilliant.

Then there is the location. You are in the rainforest. Simply in it and surrounded by it. Bliss! The noise from the birds and other animals is wonderful; it is quite loud but I found that it did not keep me awake at all. I got to gaze at hummingbirds when I opened my balcony doors and looked out on to stunning forest laying in my bed at night. It is very corny, but when the birds came in and out of my bathroom and perched on the sink while I was cleaning my teeth, I honestly felt ‘at one’ with nature. There are lots of walks and pools/streams all around Roots, which Guadalupe and Martin will happily show you. I did a short one to the river nearby and it was just so calming and relaxing – absolutely wonderful!

Roots is up a long and slightly bumpy track, as others below have mentioned. This is what makes Roots great as you are off the beaten track and therefore not going to be disturbed by anyone! But you do need a car (4x4) for the track - I didn’t rent one when I was there and it was easy enough to arrange the transfers I needed with Guadalupe and Martin. If you are staying for more than a few days I would maybe recommend renting a car yourself, purely for ease/convenience.

Overall, Roots is a fabulous place to stay and I cannot wait until I am able to go back there again! My only problem with this stay was that it was not long enough! Thank you Guadalupe and Martin for making my stay in the rainforest simply idyllic.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2017

We spent four days at the rain forest paradise that is Roots earlier this year. Completely off grid - no phones and minimal internet - it's the perfect place to get away from the rat race.

Walking through the towering forest that Roots is situated in, is a humbling experience.

The resort itself is run a by a great young Argentinian couple who were very welcoming and provided the breakfasts and dinners using local produce.

We had a lovely driver for three days (take a bow Maurice) and travelled about the magnificent island.

If I'm ever in the area again it's a place I'd certainly return too. Loved it!

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple