“Great food, stunning views, charming family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Leonel et Amarilis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vinales
Casa Leonel et Amarilis
Ranked #37 of 200 Vinales B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Great food, stunning views, charming family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I only had one night in Vinales, but thanks to Leonel I was able to see a lot and had excellent food! I arrived around lunch time and Amarilis made a delicious plate of fish for me. After lunch they helped me organize a horse riding tour through the valley. After the tour Amarilis prepared an amazing lobster dinner for me. The fridge in my room was well stocked with beer and bottled water which was nice. In the evening, there son who speaks excellent English took me to the local salsa club. The next morning I ate an excellent breakfast with lots of fresh fruit on the patio overlooking the valley. Then Leonel arranged a taxi for me (the driver had a '57 Studebaker) and I was able to visit Cuevo del Indio and Mural de la Prehistoria before I had to head to Havana.

Leonel and family were such outstanding hosts. I'm still amazed I was able to do so much in such a short stay. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Nice and agreable place to stay. Leonel and Amarilis are very helpful and will help you to organise your trip in Vinales if you need to. The rooms are simple but nice and tidy. You can also enjoy the small terrasse during the day. Inconvenient : there is a lot of roosters in Vinales, so don\'t forget your earplugs ! Good food.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Wow, this family is super friendly and enthusiastic. From the moment we got there we felt extremely welcome. It was definitely the most 'Cuban' experience we had at any of the casa particulars we stayed at. Nothing was a problem, and they were so kind and generous it was fantastic. Definitely worth staying here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happytraveller3003
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I had the best time during our 5 nights in Vinales at the Casa of Leonel and Amarilis. By far was it the best casa particular we stayed in Cuba.
Every night we had wonderful chats with Leonel and Amarillis and they were so warm and friendly. I also loved the food Amarilis cooked, as being a vegetarian I hadn't had much variety on the trip but some how these guys got their hands on soymeat and every night was super tasty! The room was great with fridge and we ate on the balcony with a great views for every meal. Ricky the dog was also a ball of cuteness, as were the 5 baby puppies across the road we got to play with (Ricky is the likely dad). All up, what a wonderful time and I'll be sending any friend or family member straight to Leonel and Amarilis if they go to Cuba!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Solana P
Inuvik, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Our casa in Trinidad arranged the stay at Leonel y Amarilis in Vinales. Are we ever glad! We stayed 2 nights, then went out to Cayo Levisa for 3 nights, before returning for another 4 nights. Leonel and Amarilis are great! Guests' comfort is their top priority. The rooms are great and private.

The first night in Vinales, we were treated to a night of Cuban cigars, mojitos and their son, Jose, singing/playing traditional songs on his guitar (all under the starry skies) on the terrace. Of course, we had to go out with Jose for a musical night in Vinales.

Great breakfasts served under the guava tree on the terrace every morning as you look out over the valley. We felt (as previous reviewers) that we were part of the family. They did our laundry and we shared so many laughs and stories (and I learned more Spanish too).

Both are teachers and one afternoon we ran into Amarilis' class at the plaza. Lots of pictures that I have to send back! We really love Vinales and are planning on heading back to Leonel y Amarilis - with a bit more Spanish!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Vinales for the rock climbing. We were advised that the hotels were sub-par and thought the idea of staying in a casa would allow us a unique cultural experience. We are so glad that we did! To stay with Leonel and Amarilis was like visiting family. Leonel wasn't aware of how we were getting to Vinales, so he took the initiative to meet the daily tourist bus holding a sign with my name on it. Unfortunately I wasn't on that bus- we came by car later in the afternoon. The casa was a bit hard to find at first. Though the name of the street is technically "Rafael Trejo" it's actually down a little side street off of that street. We were a bit apprehensive wandering down this narrow residential side street lined with small homes. There were chickens running around, and lots of Cuban families going about their household chores, and the sounds of people singing and pigs playing. Near the end of it we found #7H, and a smiling, welcoming Leonel and Amarilis. The room is basic and clean. We had a private bathroom, and there is a terrace just off of the bedroom where we lounged and ate all of our meals, sometimes alone, and other times Leonel and Amarilis would join us. Though they didn't speak much English and we didn't speak much Spanish we were able to have some basic conversations. Amarilis loves to laugh, and she makes fantastic coffee! Leonel was so hospitable, he seemed to anticipate our every desire. We were invited to stay and have a special family pig-roast dinner with them on our last day but unfortunately couldn't stay. My favorite part of all however was the built-in friend and guide who came with the room- their little dog Ricky. He came with us every time we left the house and stayed with us all day long, even to the climbing crags. He would patiently await us outside of our room and wag with excitement each morning. To book this casa I went here: http://www.cuba-junky.com/pinar-del-rio/casa_leonel_amarilis.html Pototo at Cuba Junky was terrific at making the reservation and giving us clear and helpful instructions.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

We have just returned from two weeks travelling around Cuba and can honestly say that Vinales was our favourite place and Casa Leonel y Amarilis our favourite casa. Like one of the previous reviewers it was not the casa where we had originally booked but we had no problem being shown to Leonel's instead and spending two nights there. The room is clean and simple, and benefits from being on the roof, so just outside your door is a terrace area with views across the beautiful Vinales countryside. We loved sitting out there in the evenings, on the rocking chairs, sipping a mojito.

The family made us so welcome during our stay. We don't speak any Spanish but Leonel has a way of making you understand what he is saying. Their son also speaks some English which helped the odd time when sign language didn't work! They kindly booked horse riding for us (which was brilliant) and Amaralis cooked delicious breakfasts and dinners. I should also mention their little dog, who we loved. He walked us into town, sat with while we had lunch, and then walked with us back to the casa!! We wanted to take him with us.

If you are thinking about going to Vinales while in Cuba do it, you won't regret it, and we would highly recommend staying with this lovely family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Casa Leonel et Amarilis? Share your experiences!