Hotel Maria La Gorda
$100
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Vueltabajo(Pinar del Rio)
$67
Hostal Juana(Vinales)(Great Value!)
$44
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
CIB Maria la Gorda(Pinar del Rio Province)
All reviewspalm treesla gordaeagle raysmarine lifenature loversquiet beachhavana airportcaptive audiencehummingbirds
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I rarely leave reviews, but feel like this time I certainly must. We got to this part of Cuba because of our guidebook and although the location itself is nice, hotel is the worst experience we have ever had. Rooms are very rundown and we had problems including broken toilet, broken shower, ac was making horrible sounds and top things up - BED BUGS! My legs are covered knees down and looks likes somebody played darts on my lefts. Horrible. Looks like also developed allergic reaction, as itch & redness are still present, if not gone worse.
Hungry skinny cats will literally steal food from your table.
Do not get fooled into buying buffet - waste of money! There is poor selection, quality of food is well below average and highly likely you will have an upset stomach.
Also heard diving equipment is old and was dangerous to use.
I really really hope this will help and people will avoid coming to Maria La Gorda until management sorts out the hotel problem. You will get your holiday ruined.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank StazeL
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is primarily for divers but others will find it appealing. It is located in a national park of extraordinary and varied beauty. We stayed in one of the cabins. It had a great rustic feel but, unfortunately, there was no working hot water. The breakfasts were unappetizing. The dinners were slightly better but, on the whole, the food is below average for Cuba. The staff was wonderful - extremely hard-working and gracious. Let me add my voice to the others - the mosquitoes in this part of Cuba are voracious. I was eaten alive. Bring the strongest insect repellent you can find and pray that it works. It's worth it - the national park is a rare treat. The bird life alone is enough of a draw but there are crocodiles, topical fish, iguanas, etc.

Room Tip: Get one of the cabins. Sitting on the porch, listening to the sea and watching the birds is an unforgettable experience.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank NewJerseyGuy
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked the hotel via cubaism.com (DON'T do that!) which made the double room incl breakfast cost 86.5$ instead of 58$. We wanted to solve this over charging with the help of the receptionist of the hotel. That was easier said than done. I don't know if it was ignorance or if th receptionist really lied to us about what they had charged cubaism for the room.

The beach was kind of small and not very appealing. The snorkel trip we took was ok, nothing special. The person responsible for dives was not service minded at all. The food was really bad (however that was the case on most of Cuba...) and only two restaurants available so not much to choose from. It was very hard to get warm water in the shower. There were "wild" cows that made noise during the night so difficult to sleep. And the cows were pretty aggressive and intrusive at the beach.

The room, except for the cold shower, was nice and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tjofen
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in a cabin near the entrance to the property and while there the maintenance staff were sealing the walls with a varnish-like product. The smell was obnoxious but there was nothing I could do about it after discovering it once the office was closed and I kept the patio door and windows open all night. Management with any sense would not schedule that type of project near occupied rooms.
The bed and the bathroom were adequate. The water pressure was good and there was hot water (unlike another beach hotel I stayed at in Cuba). There were frogs and bugs in the bathroom but not the sleeping area - the cabins are surrounded by native plants.
The bar was fine and the food was decent, typical of Cuban hotel buffets.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank drillisj
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had two nights here as part of a group tour. six days later my body is still covered with loads of bites from bed bugs. and my room was not the only one that had them!

as we were leaving, they tried to tell me I had taken 2 of their bath towels -saying there were 4 in my room, when only 2 were provided. Lucky for me, my tour leader sorted this out although it took her ages to convince them. with my lack of spanish i would not have stood a chance.

the room itself was okay for where it is. As for the buffet - give it a miss. Meals at the restaurant were quite okay.

loved being in Cuba and thiw as easily the only bad place we stayed in as we travelled the country for 3 weeks

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends