“Wow! Best roti ever”

Marco Polo Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Launched in May 2014, we are a "Rum Shop" offering great value for money for our customers and happily serve rum and spirits by the mini, flask or the even the bottle... We are a family run business and our staff will do their utmost to ensure an enjoyable visit each and every time. We play relaxing music ranging from the 70's, 80's and today's hits. Every Friday we have a fish, chips & mushy pea night... As for sport we will do our best to screen all the top sporting action in the "Mount gay" Lounge.
Reviewed November 8, 2016 via mobile

Let's just start with amazing food! Visiting Barbados for a week and already stopped for dinner twice - amazing shrimp roti.. so good I don't think my husband and I spoke the entire meal (that means we just focused on the food).

Tried: Roti, Mahi, Crab cakes and Marco Polo fish cakes

Service was brilliant and friendly!

Casual atmosphere and all about 200 metres from the Crane Resort. Well worth a visit.

Our next visit to Barbados we will go back.

Reviewed November 8, 2016

We came across this place almost by accident while staying at the Crane and went back every might after our first visit. Good menu, not too complicated nor flashy, just good wholesome food. The bar is great espeically if you like draft Banks! Service is extremely friendly and efficient. In short, couldn't fault the place.

Reviewed November 4, 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the crane for our honeymoon and Marco Polo was a great relief from the 'resort food' for some laid back, friendly, fun food. Highly recommended. Went for dinner 2 of the four nights we were at the resort.
Fresh locally caught fish, local rum, and great wine. Not much better than that. Good mix of locals and tourists.

Reviewed November 4, 2016 via mobile

While in transit from the airport to our hotel (we were staying at the Crane Resort), we asked our driver "where would you take your best friend on their birthday within a short drive or walk " - as in my experience, that question yields a better answer than the typical tourist hot-spots. Our driver said Marco Polo - and after dining there with a party of 6 close friends, we all would agree that THIS is the place to go for fresh, delicious dinner!
Choice drinks abound, from cheap local beer specials and delicious run punch, to fancier mixed drinks! Since our group was pretty large, and tastes range, I think it's significant to note that each of us was thrilled with the choices we made!
Everyone at the table ordered appetizers to start, and to speak to the tastiness - our conversation lulled a bit when the food was first put down, because we were shoving it in so fast!
My wife and I each chose a "special" - and split it, so we each ate half barracuda with macaroni pie and half amber jack with broccoli (we learned on this trip that green veggies aren't a big part of the Bajan diet, so we were really thankful for the offering of it here!!!)
The fish was exceptionally fresh, clearly just caught that day, and their preparation sealed in delicious herbs and spices without losing the integrity of light, natural flavor.
The service was wonderful - the poor server patiently waited for us to split up the bill and then after discovering some errors (i blame the drinks !) he kindly helped us correct things.
Prices were very fair - my wife and I each had 2 drinks (rum punch and beer) the appetizer special and two dinner specials and our total ended up being 175 Bajan dollars or - $87.50 USD.
The next day, the others who'd dined in my party all remarked how amazing the food was, each saying it was the best meal they'd had all week. One couple remarked how they were surprised they'd not had any tummy trouble that morning! They'd been there a few days longer than us and had only eaten at the Crane. Apparently eating at Marco Polo was the first night either of them had meal where they didn't have any regrets in the morning!
Side note -
I love hot-sauce, so when the owner saw the group teasing me for loading it on my plate after I'd tried everything, she said "oh you need the good stuff" and proceeded to bring me a small bottle of home-made (spicier :-) ) stuff!!! She waited around to see what I thought and with a delighted smile she said "it's yours" when I tried to hand it back! I killed that sauce before the trip was over, eating it on eggs every morning in my hotel room! I wish I had more! Now that I'm home, breakfast didn't taste as good !

Reviewed November 1, 2016

We ate here twice for diner. Once on a Friday night and again on a Sunday. We enjoyed the casual, laid-back ambience of the place and the friendly service. The food was mixed for us, both times.

The flying fish is good here. It was deep fried with a nice coating of batter -- not too thin or thick. Order the side dish of okra as it is really, really good. Skip the salmon fish cakes. I order it and it was very mushy and pasty. Too much potato or flour, or both.

The strip steak is OK if you really want beef. I would suggest the burger as a better alternative. Barbados is not know for its beef so why order a steak? Hard to mess up a burger.

The mahi mahi was OK as well. A bit overcooked and under seasoned.

Both times we were here the restaurant was busy and the staff had a difficult time keeping up. Be patient. There isn't a lot of dining options on the east coast other than The Crane (expensive) or here at Marco Polo.

My suggestion is for the owner (a former chef) to upgrade his kitchen staff.

marc e, Owner at Marco Polo Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2016

Hi good morning and many thanks for taking the time to review Marc Polo, we are sorry that your fish was a little over cooked for your order as we do pride ourselves in the preparation of our fish... as for the seasoning yes its a light rubbing of local fresh herbs as the fish is the star, we do have the option to Jerk and Blacken fish so apologies if we didn't make this clear at the time i will add to the next version of the menu. As for the staff issue we are out of session still so running on minimal staff in order to offer a good value dinning experience on the two occasions you came we had 12 booked (Friday and did 62 covers and Sunday 8 booked 48 covers served respectfully)