We stayed at the Crane from Jun 29-Jul 6. We had a garden view room in building 4.
The room - very large and spacious with nice amenties. The garden view rooms do have A/C but beware that they are temperature controlled. We did not find them to be cool enough for our standards (but hey we are from Texas and really like A/C). I asked for a fan and one was promptly delivered to our room. The kitchette was nice and stocked adequately.
The resort itself is very beautiful - new pools are amazing and the view can't be beat - we drove all over this island and couldn't find a better view. Construction is visible and do you hear it when you get closer to the main reception area, but it will be great once it's finished. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Everyone speaks when they walk by. The Conceirge's (Veronica, Teresa and Diane) are excellent and extremely helpful.
Dininig at the Crane- Breakfast was free (can't complain for free) and we found something to eat every morning, although the menu is fairly small. We ate dinner at L'Azure one evening and it was good. Service is par for the carribean - no one gets in a hurry. Make Breakfast reservations for Sunday (Gospel Brunch) or you will be out of luck.
Places we ate - Josef's(great view, excellent food - try the goat cheese souffle), Cafe Sol (get better mexican food at home), Bellini's (Good Italian), Cafe Luna (best meal - presentation of food is great and great view)
Location of the Crane
Plan on driving 20 minutes to get to St. Lawerence Gap and 45 minutes to the West Coast. There are virtually no places to eat other than the two at the Crane so a car is a must. We felt like we spent half of our vacation driving.
Grocery stores - Cutters is great (they make a great pizza and have good lunch meat) or Emerald City is the nicest market.
Shopping - Don't waste your time in Bridgetown - it's very crowded and hard to park. You will be disappointed in the shopping if you are accustom to duty free shopping on other carribean islands such as St. Thomas or Grand Cayman. We went to earthworks pottery and got some cool stuff though.
Activies - snorkeling off the beach is good at Folkestone, golf was good at the barbados golf club
All in all, the crane is beautiful and has so much to offer except you need to be prepared to drive to get to things.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Kognitiv US Corp, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish