“Great Resort with some drawbacks”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
Dallas, TX
“Great Resort with some drawbacks”
Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Crane from Jun 29-Jul 6. We had a garden view room in building 4.

The room - very large and spacious with nice amenties. The garden view rooms do have A/C but beware that they are temperature controlled. We did not find them to be cool enough for our standards (but hey we are from Texas and really like A/C). I asked for a fan and one was promptly delivered to our room. The kitchette was nice and stocked adequately.

The resort itself is very beautiful - new pools are amazing and the view can't be beat - we drove all over this island and couldn't find a better view. Construction is visible and do you hear it when you get closer to the main reception area, but it will be great once it's finished. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Everyone speaks when they walk by. The Conceirge's (Veronica, Teresa and Diane) are excellent and extremely helpful.

Dininig at the Crane- Breakfast was free (can't complain for free) and we found something to eat every morning, although the menu is fairly small. We ate dinner at L'Azure one evening and it was good. Service is par for the carribean - no one gets in a hurry. Make Breakfast reservations for Sunday (Gospel Brunch) or you will be out of luck.

Places we ate - Josef's(great view, excellent food - try the goat cheese souffle), Cafe Sol (get better mexican food at home), Bellini's (Good Italian), Cafe Luna (best meal - presentation of food is great and great view)

Location of the Crane
Plan on driving 20 minutes to get to St. Lawerence Gap and 45 minutes to the West Coast. There are virtually no places to eat other than the two at the Crane so a car is a must. We felt like we spent half of our vacation driving.

Grocery stores - Cutters is great (they make a great pizza and have good lunch meat) or Emerald City is the nicest market.

Shopping - Don't waste your time in Bridgetown - it's very crowded and hard to park. You will be disappointed in the shopping if you are accustom to duty free shopping on other carribean islands such as St. Thomas or Grand Cayman. We went to earthworks pottery and got some cool stuff though.

Activies - snorkeling off the beach is good at Folkestone, golf was good at the barbados golf club

All in all, the crane is beautiful and has so much to offer except you need to be prepared to drive to get to things.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DanaWDallas_TX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2007

Me and my son just returned in June from The Crane and I have to say this is a beautiful resort with A LOT of room to improve. On arrival, which was early, my room was not ready until 4:00. So, I went to the grocery store and returned only to have to drag my own groceries AND luggage to my own room. Better yet, my room was still being cleaned (it was only 3:45). Watch your bill as things will show up on there that are not supposed to, especially at the restaurants. The staff (other than the concierge who are wonderful) made me feel like I was a bother to them. and were not very friendly. We were on the meal plan and this is a scam....BEWARE. They will charge extra for many of the items at the restaurant Zen. If you are looking for a nice room this is a good place. If you are looking to have peace of mind on vacation with no hassles...forget The Crane.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed June 2007
4 Thank Brenda69
utah
Reviewed June 29, 2007

My family and I stayed at The Crane for 3 nights in May just prior to my destination wedding in Barbados. The Crane was a fabulously luxurious pick! Our room was a 2 bedroom suite, so it had one average hotel sized bedroom, one enormous bedroom (each bedroom had their own bathroom attached), a living room that must have been 30 feet long by 20 feet wide, a large kitchen with all the utensils you could ever use, a third bathroom off the kitchen, a balcony that ran the length of the living room and one of the bedrooms with tables and chairs, our own private plunge pool, a spiral staircase that led to the roof where there was yet another pool, barbeque pit, bar, and lots of lounge chairs. Our room was on the top floor so we had the advantage of having the additional upstairs pool / bbq. The view off our balcony and plunge pool was over the property’s 5-6 pools which sit on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. A constant breeze coming off the ocean was more than enough to cool the rooms (though if you do not have an ocean view, the rooms may get quite warm). There was air conditioning in the rooms but as the rooms were so large it took a long time for the air conditioning to cool the air, though we did not feel that we needed air conditioning during our stay. The pictures on The Crane’s official website truly reflect how the property looks.

The beach was breathtaking! A long staircase joins The Crane and Crane Beach, but it is worth the climb. As a caution, the waves are quite strong. The staff was pleasant and we had no difficulties working with them. The hotel is under construction, but I did not hear the construction noise at all (again, we were facing the ocean). Le Azure had very good but very expensive food, and a somewhat limited menu. They were also booked each night and for the Sunday gospel brunch.

Drawbacks are that the hotel is under construction, so if you get a room near the construction site the noise may be bothersome. The hotel is also located far from grocery stores and nightlife, though one could certainly live in the microcosm of The Crane be quite happy if you do not want to partake in the local culture.

• Liked — Amazing views, luxury rooms
  • Disliked — Distance from other activities
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank mdowl
NYC
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I read some of the reviews prior to booking so I had the expedia travel agent call to inquire about construction. BEWARE. They said the construction would be complete and they would be onto landscaping only by May (booked in March). Well, I changed rooms twice to avoid the noise and view of bulldozers and dirt. Coincidentally, I checked in with a couple of other couples and they all had the same problem.
Dont get me wrong, the landscape is beautiful...BUT...the service every where for everything is slow. The beach is breathtaking, visitors from other parts of the island came to the crane and couldn't believe the difference between their resort beach and the Cranes.
The people who work at the Crane are friendly but I can't say they are competent. I requested a room away from the noise...he gives me a room directly above where the machines park and the wood is cut...thus the 2 room changes. Our stove burners didnt work. No lights in the pool bathroom...and no food (someday, they will have snacks). Keep in mind the restaurants aer quite far and the pool is HUGE, some place you could stay all day...if there was food :) My TV signal was very blurry in my third room, but its a vacation, I didn't plan on that much television.
We arrived late (due to airlines fiasco) and tried to get a reservation at the restaurants...both claimed to be fully booked but they were less than 1/2 full. Not willing to accomodate us on our first night. We wouldn't leave, so the Host finally gave in (i was starving!). But, they could have accomadated us in the begining...service is slow 24/7 but the food at Azure was delicious.
I expect competent service with a smile on vacation but no one really seemed to know what was going on when we had questions...One day maybe they will get it together...but don't let them tell you construtction is done...they are building a mini city that most likely will not be complete for years.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank HarlemNY
Ontario
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We never actually made it to The Crane..just beware...they quoted us incorrect rates on our email and then when we sent in to confirm they said ooops and would not honour their mistake. We made our flight arrangements based on the information they gave us and now we are madly searching for something else since the ooops is double the original quote. I work with the public every day and if myself or one of my reps mis-quoted someone we would stand by our error. They emailed us back offering us 25% off some other rooms and indicated that the rooms we requested were now fully booked, what a coincidence. Be very careful dealing with the Crane,,dot your i's and cross your t's or you will be ripped off.

Stayed June 2007
11 Thank Trillium_7
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2007

We stayed at the The Crane Resort for a week May25- June 1 and LOVED it. The physical beauty of the resort is amazing. The overlooks and secluded gardens with sculptures are so peaceful. We stayed in building 4 and the views from our one bedroom ocean view could not be beat. I booked the Best of Barbados package from CheapCaribbean.com that included the huge gourmet breakfast buffet. It was an amazing deal and we will be using them again as everything was just as promised. The staff at the Crane were very helpful and efficient. They handled all problems quickly and even sent us flowers to our room for our 25th anniversary. You do not see that kind of attention to detail at most large resorts.
We were not affected by the construction staying in building 4. We could hear it in the background but it did not affect our relaxing by the pools. The new pool complex with the two large jacuzzi's were a daily stop and the Carriage house pool bar the perfect place to get a cold Banks beer to watch the sunset. Although it was quite hot we had a constant breeze blowing through our room that kept us quite comfortable sleeping at night with our windows and doors wide up. I could imagine being on the back side of the building could get hot as it has a chiller A/C and it does not get as cold.
We were traveling on a tight budget and it is possible to do this at the Crane with proper planning. We read the enclosed weekly information in our check-in packet (another nice touch) and took advantage of the free or discounted shuttles to town or groceries)
The BOB coupon book given to us by CheapCaribbean saved us lot of money on the tours we tried although Johnson Tours needs to get their act organized better as book arrived 3 days late. They do have a happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks on the beautiful LAzure patio which is a great time to try their specialty drinks. The cocktail party offered by the Crane is a great way to meet other travelers and get suggestions for tours and trips to try. The free drinks didn't hurt either.
The kitchen in the one bedroom had everything we needed to cook dinner in. We have stayed at several time-shares and this was the best equipped kitchen ever. You could live in one of these units for months easily. The breakfast buffet filled us up so much that we usually skipped lunch and just had dinner after watching the sunset from the pools. I packed quick pasta meals, etc. and then bought fresh spinach, vegetables, cheese, butter, and Banks beer from the store. Food is very expensive in Barbados so I packed in the more expensive items in my suitcase and then had room to bring things back since we ate up all the food. We came back from the daily sightseeing tired and liked eating on our balcony very casual.
The public bus does pick up right outside the Crane entrance although it is impossible to get an exact time. We rode the local big and mini-buses all over the island and never felt nervous other then from the driving habits and narrow roads. We met other travelers this way and got wonderful information from them as to places to go and ways to get there. The locals soon recognized us and said good morning after the 3rd day. We did run into long waits on Sunday and the Bank holiday so would recommend doing a tour or taking a taxi on those days. Grocery stores and restaurants are also closed on these days so plan accordingly. Cutters is a very easy walk from the entrance to the Crane for any forgotten items or special needs.
I would give the Crane an 'excellent rating" but some things are still a work in progress such as the water pressure, phone service, and in-room jacuzzi tubs and multiple shower heads. The phones were not working the last two days we stayed so checking -in with our airline and handling the last minute details were accomplished by using their lobby internet and the staffs personal cell phones. While these were noticed it did not affect our enjoyment and we would go back in a minute. I agree with the other reviews. Go to the Crane now, as once they finish their construction , I know we will not be able to afford to stay there. It will be a 5 star resort with the prices to match.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank FloridagirlP-cola
Montreal, Qc
Reviewed June 7, 2007

My husband and I just got married at the Crane Resort (May 5th, 2007). It was absolutely perfect.

We chose Barbados because of it's daily flights and easy access. When I heard about the Crane, I fell in love with the website. The photos on the site are a perfect representation of what it is really like. The rooms ARE that gorgeous and the grounds are also stunning!! The beach is breathtaking as well.

The first thing I did was contact the hotel about a group reservation. I was in touch with Sophia Gunning and she was amazing. She gave us a great deal, and once my guests started calling in for their reservations, she managed all of their bookings and accomodations. My brother was traveling with his one year old son, she made sure they had comfy accomodations and were well taken care of. We all appreciated that.

We got upgraded (as some of our guests did) to a one bedroom apt. We had a full fonctionning kitchen, washer and dryer and 2 bathrooms! I felt like a queen. The views were stunning and rooms were very clean.

We were not bothered by the construction, but those who were - were taken care of. The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating.

We didn't want to waste our time shopping for groceries, so it was great to be able to order food and have it delivered to your room. I don't think it cost much more than when you actually went to the store yourself.

Teresa was our wedding planner and on top of our event from beginning to end. We started planning our wedding about 8-10 months before the actual day, and she was great.

We wanted the ease of working with a wedding coordinator and a stunning location, and that is exactly what we got. It was so simple, all we did was book the day and Teresa took care of the rest. She gave me some options to choose from with regards to a reception menu, flowers and music...but I never needed to worry about the details. We arrived at the hotel a week before our wedding (to work on our tans) and were so happy to meet the people we had been working with over the last few months.

We had 30 guests and they all had a wonderful time. We met our reverand a few days before and got to know him before he performed the ceremony. He was flexible and extremely kind.

Teresa also managed a few outings for our group. I was worried about coordinating 30 people on my own, but she jumped in and saved the day. I don't think I could have ever imagined my wedding being so relaxed and under control.

We met Willie, he drove us around and gave my parents a tour of the island. None of us can stop talking about how incredibly kind everyone was. They all treated us like family.

Our photographer, Joe Singh was also great to work with. He made me feel like a princess, which every bride deserves! :)

I can't think of a bad thing to say. We have wonderful memories of meeting great people and falling in love with the island and the resort. The service was outstanding and the resort itself was perfect. We plan to go back every year for our anniversary and are even thinking about looking into owning some time share!

I would highly recommend a stay at the Crane, and a destination wedding with Teresa! It was everything I had hoped for and more...

If you decide to go to the Crane and are from Canada, bring Teresa some Tim Horton's coffee, it's her favorite!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,013 reviews
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!