My wife and I stayed at the Crane from May 7th - May 13th. Day one, we were taken to Bldg 9 which was just completed. The room was beautiful, however, it overlooked a construction site and all you heard was construction. We visited the front desk and were told we would be moved the next day. To our surprise, we were moved to room 554-A, the penthouse suite! The room was fabulous and the view was stunning. As others have noted, the air conditioning was spotty but was little noticed as the ocean breeze was constant. Although the suite was beautiful, we really would have preferred a smaller room! After a while, you get tired of all the walking!
Likes: The beach is stunningly beautiful, the grounds are developing and in the future will be absolutely fantastic. Also try the adjacent beaches to the Crane...very beautiful and quiet. Everywhere you walked you experienced a new and gorgeous panorama. The food is pretty good at both Crane restaurants. The pools were gorgeous and thoughtfully laid out. The staff was mostly friendly. Under construction is a small resort square that will house restaurants, shopping and entertainment. When completed, you will probably never have to leave the resort. The east coast of Barbados is beautiful, the west coast is crowded and hectic. Bridgetown is a wasted trip. Many fine restaurants on the west coast...we recommend Wispers. Rent a car and explore...you'll have a blast. We found the island to be very safe. We took many wrong turns into many neighborhoods and found the natives friendly and helpful. We would also like to mention Cutters Deli just yards from the Crane. Roger and his wife were friendly and his place is extremely convenient. Try the breakfast burrito. Also, the airport is fairly effiecient by island standards.
Dislikes: The historic pool bar opens at 3:30 pm...unbelievable! As others have stated...no place to buy a quick snack, sandwich etc. If you required a pool towel, put on your walking shoes. Only the old stable bar near Bldg 5 issued towels! You literally had to walk all over the grounds to get a towel. Inexecusable. At times the construction was noticeable. The beach is very rough. Don't think you're simply going to walk in and float. It's the Atlantic side! Pay attention as the undertow is very strong at times. We really didn't care for the hucksters selling their goods on the beach. The splash pools are not heated and at times useless as it was too cold to enter. Compared to Cuisinart in Anguilla, the beach day is a little rough. The Cuisinart treated you like a king...although you did pay a little more for the attention. Overall: Beautiful scenery, stunning beaches, good food, friendly people, a developing resort. Very good, but not yet great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish