My spouse and I just returned from a week’s stay in a junior bedroom suite.
We were pleased with the size and views from our room. We were placed in building three and were able to see a partial view of the ocean from our terrace, despite not having an “Ocean View” room. The room was clean and spacious. Our only complaint would be the inconsistent air conditioning. We had it checked, but it still seemed to be ineffective at times. The inconvenience of switching rooms didn’t appeal to us so we decided to stay. My wife also noticed a waterbug in the bathroom after the first morning. We were told that housekeeping would take care of it. Who knows if anything was actually done, but we didn’t see any other bug for the rest of the week.
We really liked the décor of the room, which included cherry wood furniture and floors and stone walls. The bathroom was also nicely designed and spacious.
The staff at the Crane are generally first rate. Everyone is friendly, from the concierge to the groundscrew. Be prepared to say “hello” to everyone. The cleaning staff varied from very good to mediocre. The cleaning person who cleaned our room the last night didn’t do nearly as a clean a job as the one who handled our room for most of the week.
The new pools and spa area were great surprises. We didn’t expect to see these new features since they are not on the hotel’s website. The cascading pools are great but more shade should be added to accommodate people. There is a shaded area at the top that can accommodate maybe 15 people, which probably is inadequate for a resort of this size. The lounge chairs at the cascading pools are very plush and comfortable. I was disappointed in the state of the fitness room. It was rather small and the weightlifting equipment was very outdated. The resort can also use a spa facility. I assume that creating a spa is in the works. Don’t expect to see any shows or activities at the hotel. This resort is very low key.
We tried both restaurants and generally were pleased with the quality. We both were generally happy with the Thai sampler at Zen. We didn’t eat dinner at L’zure. The ambience and views were indeed fabulous at both.
We were told that construction should last 3 more years. The noise wasn’t too troublesome—eventhough our terrace faced the construction site. Maybe once or twice did I find the noise annoying. Since we spent most of our time at the beach or pool, we didn’t hear any construction noise.
If we return to Barbados, we will definitely return to the Crane.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, BookIt.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish