“Good time at Crane”

The Crane Resort
NYC
“Good time at Crane”
Reviewed March 4, 2007

My spouse and I just returned from a week’s stay in a junior bedroom suite.

The Room
We were pleased with the size and views from our room. We were placed in building three and were able to see a partial view of the ocean from our terrace, despite not having an “Ocean View” room. The room was clean and spacious. Our only complaint would be the inconsistent air conditioning. We had it checked, but it still seemed to be ineffective at times. The inconvenience of switching rooms didn’t appeal to us so we decided to stay. My wife also noticed a waterbug in the bathroom after the first morning. We were told that housekeeping would take care of it. Who knows if anything was actually done, but we didn’t see any other bug for the rest of the week.

We really liked the décor of the room, which included cherry wood furniture and floors and stone walls. The bathroom was also nicely designed and spacious.

The staff at the Crane are generally first rate. Everyone is friendly, from the concierge to the groundscrew. Be prepared to say “hello” to everyone. The cleaning staff varied from very good to mediocre. The cleaning person who cleaned our room the last night didn’t do nearly as a clean a job as the one who handled our room for most of the week.

The Hotel
The new pools and spa area were great surprises. We didn’t expect to see these new features since they are not on the hotel’s website. The cascading pools are great but more shade should be added to accommodate people. There is a shaded area at the top that can accommodate maybe 15 people, which probably is inadequate for a resort of this size. The lounge chairs at the cascading pools are very plush and comfortable. I was disappointed in the state of the fitness room. It was rather small and the weightlifting equipment was very outdated. The resort can also use a spa facility. I assume that creating a spa is in the works. Don’t expect to see any shows or activities at the hotel. This resort is very low key.

The Restaurants
We tried both restaurants and generally were pleased with the quality. We both were generally happy with the Thai sampler at Zen. We didn’t eat dinner at L’zure. The ambience and views were indeed fabulous at both.

Construction
We were told that construction should last 3 more years. The noise wasn’t too troublesome—eventhough our terrace faced the construction site. Maybe once or twice did I find the noise annoying. Since we spent most of our time at the beach or pool, we didn’t hear any construction noise.

Conclusion
If we return to Barbados, we will definitely return to the Crane.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Ongoing construction
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank JayDeeNYC1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We stayed at the Crane between the 10th-24th of February 2007. On our last visit, 18 months ago, I must say the view was slightly different from our balcony from when we arrived this time, what had been three or four very large holes had become an amazing pool complex consisting of four pools and a large Jacuzzi and the pool bar opened while we were there offering a pool service and a walk up bar. Luke, the barman, was great and would wander around every hour or so to collect your drink orders.

As our pictures show, the pools offer something for most people from the quieter and more shaded top pool to the lower pool with a lovely shallow splash pool for the toddlers. This splash pool was definitely well thought out, great for families, since the pool encompassed the shallower pool for the little ones and a slight deeper area, with a cascading waterfall and water fountain, for your slightly older or more adventure children.

Our stay at the crane was wonderful we ate dinner and lunch at L’azure, the food was excellent, however the service was slow but very friendly at all times; we also attended one of the theme nights, we had originally booked for both The Italian and the barbeque, however the Italian night just did not work for us, and I hate to say it the food was a little bland and unexciting so we did not bother with the barbeque night, we went to Bellini’s in the gap instead.

I must also mention the express check in, which was really good, on arrival you are greeted with a cold rum, or fruit, punch and immediately whisked off to your apartment in the new golf buggies for in room check in; this means your holiday begins the moment you step out of your taxi, and there are no more delays in reception. Great idea!

All in all our stay was fabulous we stayed in a two bedroom apartment with pool, one bedroom did over look the construction work, however this did not affect our stay and we can hardly wait to return.

• Liked — general atmosphere
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
9 Thank rkaty
winchester,va.
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Stayed for seven nights at the Crane Residences, one bedroom unit with my wife, and brother and sister-in law. plenty of room for all of us. Unit came with a small kitchen and clothes washer and dryer. It was in building three and overlooked the new pool complex (which is fabulous), and had an Ocean view. We stayed from the 17th to the 24th of February. Never had to turn on the air conditioning, the ceiling fans kept the unit comfortable with the windows open.

We had some problems with small biting flying creatures on a couple of nights, but found we could get a small fan from housekeeping, which blew them away. Problem Solved!

Everytime we need something corrected or fixed, the service staff was Johnny on the spot!

Ate at both the Zen and L'Azure and enjoyed both meals. Pricey, so it was nice to be able to prepare some of our own meals in the kitchen of the apartment.

Beach is fantastic and the views are picture perfect.

Rented a car for a day so we were able to tour some of the island.

We loved Barbados and all the people we met both at the hotel and off. Everyone was polite and helpful.

Had a great time with Captain Tim and his crew on the Silver Moon II. Snorkeled with turtles.

Glad we stayed at the Crane, on the less crowded East coast of the island rather then the crowded west and south coasts.

Definitely will return!

• Liked — Size and views
  • Disliked — no soap to wash the clothes with.
5 Thank beltman
Miami
Reviewed February 23, 2007

Pros to staying at The Crane:
1) Access to a gorgeous beach
2) Access to a wonderful array of swimming pools-They have 7 pools side by side. It's breathtaking
3) Room size excellent

Cons to staying at The Crane:
1) Staff is rude
2) Service is awful: One morning we decided to go to L'azure, one of the restaurants attached to the hotel, for breakfast. When we asked the waiter to seat us, he merely told us that we were only allowed to eat from 2-3 trays and when we asked where we should be seated, he just looked at us and walked away. After a breakfast of cold eggs and limitations on what we could eat, mind you this was supposed to be a buffet, our plates were taken and the check was brought out immediately, charging us $50.00 US for nothing but a mere plate of cold eggs and sour fruit. 5 minutes later, numerous guests were seated and greeted warmly by the waiters and fresh food was brought out. We didn't understand why we were rushed and why our food and service was so poor. When we spoke to the manager, instead of apologizing, he consistently told us that we misunderstood the waiter, and only decreased our bill by $10.00 US and was rude the entire time we tried discussing the problem with him. The service at Zen was also poor. The waitresses could not even crack a smile and were rude the entire time. However, the food is quite good, yet extremely overpriced! In addition, when we asked for fresh towels and soap/shampoo, it took us 5 phone calls and 1 hour to receive them. I thought this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel?
3) The rooms are too hot
4) The hotel is too far from everything on the island. If you plan on going out on the town for dinner and shopping and everything in between, then I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

The main reason to stay at the Crane is for its beauty and rooms. We stayed over a weekend, so we did not have to endure construction, however, many people were frustrated with the situation and said that the weekdays were noisy and far from peaceful. Crane beach is amazing and the pools are wonderful, but the staff is so rude that our experience was pretty much ruined. You're putting down a large sum of money to stay here and you should receive impeccable service, however, the service here is more on the level of a 2 star hotel if even that. I could have stayed at a Holiday Inn and been treated better. Oh and if you want a good breakfast, go to the Hilton. They have a buffet that has everything you can imagine for breakfast.

• Liked — Crane Beach and the swimming pools
  • Disliked — The rude staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank smartstuff007
Notts. UK
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I have been meaning to sit down and write this review for months as we went to the Crane in November and had a wonderful time.
We stayed in the old hotel building which doesn't have air conditioning simply because after looking at the layout of the hotel, it seemed that it was furthest away from the construction which is ongoing, and nearest the sea. However, as the construction progresses, I think that there are more and more of the new appartments which are unaffected by the works. We took a suite,which was huge. My parents were staying on the island at the same time in the Royal Pavillion which is just next to the Sandy Lane. There was just no comparison in our opinion. Despite them booking one of the nicest, sea-facing rooms, it was miniscule in comparison to ours. Furthermore, I like sea with waves, non-existant on the West side of the island where the sea is very gentle but probably better for those with children.
I have travelled pretty extensively and I think the location of the Crane, just that view when you are sitting by the pool with the fabulous views over the sea alone, is the best I have ever come across. The beach really is fabulous.
The Crane is for people who want to really relax in a refined but informal atmosphere. For those who want glitz and glamour and restaurants galore, you would be better on the West coast. But that wasn't what we were after and so we were very happy there.
There were some negatives:
Service is average but then to some extent, that can be quite charming. Unlike some it seems from going through this site, we went to Zen and had a terrible evening - food was great but it almost took longer than our flight from the UK! We noticed that we were not the only ones complaining and I hope that steps will be taken to correct this as we just didn't want to go back after our experience. Some of the serving staff in Azzure had no concept of customer service. It reminded me of the former Soviet Union where I lived for a while in that it is almost like they consider the restaurant as an end unto itself, rather than a means to serve customers. I remember one waiter asking me to wait to be seated and then going back to lay tables for 10 minutes when there were lots of free tables already laid and not reserved! It was quite extraordinary and not an isolated incident. It is almost like they are too busy for the guests which is actually quite funny but really annoyed me at the time!
The hotel is not very organised as far as after-dinner entertainment is concerned. They have a beautiful function room which has been entirely renovated but it only seems to be used for staff meetings and the weekly Manager's cocktails. The pool bar closed at around 10.00 p.m. so there was nowhere for guests to socialise. This is something that really needs to be changed but I expect it will be with the new development programme with a further pool and bar area.
These negatives are far outweighed by the positives though: really friendly staff, an atmosphere that is very relaxed and where you do just meet people, beautiful, beautiful views, an amazing beach, good (not excellent but good) and well-priced food and wines in Azzure, and extremely beautiful and spacious suites. During our stay, there was quite a mix of nationalities which is also something I like. Probably 40% British, 20% Canadians, 30% Americans, some French and various other nationalities.
I cannot stress enough how lovely and helpful Pauline was and the concierge staff - sorry! I have forgotten your names but I remember your faces well!
The reason I mention the negatives is that I think that many of the people who write negative reviews about the Crane are expecting something different and I think it is important to weigh the pros and cons honestly so that people can make a considered opinion. If you do want to go out a lot, it may not be the best bet for you. If you are expecting the waiters to rush and pick up the handkerchief you just dropped, think again - it is not that kind of place. If you want to relax in a beautiful setting with an amazing beach and really lovely rooms which is unassuming and unpretentious, you will be right at home here. If you are worried about the ongoing construction, check the hotel site layout map and think about where you want to be. We booked direct and that is one of the benefits.
We will definitely return to the Crane, maybe even this year!

Don't miss a trip to Cutters which is only a short walk to the right as you go out of the hotel gates and has great deli foods, run by someone who is passionate about good food.
Also, don't miss a snorkelling trip but make sure that you go on one of the yachts that only take about 6 -8 people. In fact, our take on the day trips aspect is that most trips and outings start at Bridgetown and that it may be better for the Crane to organise a bus directly there for its guests or for guests to be put in touch with each other and take a cab to the place where the tour begins. I say this because we had almost 3 hours on a really hot horrible bus going round to pick up guests from every hotel on the route between the Crane and Bridgetown. Remember that on any trip, a bus comes to pick you up and the Crane, as it is further out, is usually the first pick-up point and the last drop-off point - well worth keeping in mind and making your own arrangements.
Lastly, I researched all the hotels on the internet and using this site before we left. I was a little worried about what I read about the Crane because the positives always seem outweighed by the negatives in your mind. Let it suffice to say that we visited 4 other hotels including the Hilton during our stay and were really relieved that we had booked at the Crane - by the by - the Hilton is horrible, like a giant hospital complex. Awful. We also tried Little Arches for a meal which has a magical terrace which is open till late although a little pricey but we decided that we also wouldn't want to stay there, despite the livelier ambiance bar-wise. None of the others seemed to measure up to the Crane to us.
If you decide to go, you will have an amazing time. I would go back at the drop of a hat.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The restaurant and bar service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
18 Thank HELEN&NICK
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 13, 2007

The Crane is an awsome spot. My wife and I recently got married there and we both enjoyed our experience very much. The staff was wonderful and room was superb. If you're looking for a place to get married - check out the Crane... If you're looking for a place to relax - check out the Crane. If you're looking for a resort where you'll truly be able to kick back and relax - Definitely check out the Crane!

Net Net - we loved it.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank bnalpha
Midwest
Reviewed February 12, 2007

Our stay in Barbados was from 26 Jan 07 through 02 Feb 07 and we stayed at THE CRANE HOTEL. We stayed in a "Junior Garden Suite" in building 3.

THE ROOM........... was just as beautiful as pictured on the hotel website. The first evening we were a bit distraught because we wanted a hot shower and bath and the water was less than lukewarm. We called the front desk and a maintenance man was sent right away. He was unable to fix the problem and told us it was due to the number of guests using the water in the building at that particular time. We would soon come to realize that this was true and that sometimes the water would be very cool and at other times very hot. This was the biggest problem with the room. We had a couple of other minor things that I will list to get them out of the way before I tell you about our fabulous vacation! The shutter in the bathroom could not close so we had to put a beach towel over it for privacy. The DVD player would not work properly but was replaced a day later. The stovetop elements would not get hot enough to properly cook food. This was second on my list considering that we were unable to cook some of the groceries we bought at the store (like eggs, french toast, oatmeal...). So we left lots of food behind. Room service took about 30 minutes to arrive whenever we ordered food. Housekeeping did a great job. Our room was clean when we arrived and was kept that way. The one related thing I might mention here is that as part of The Crane's "eco friendly" ideas they were not particularly good about replacing towels. I like a fresh towel each day and a fresh wash cloth in the morning and one for in the evening too. This did not always happen and we went for a couple of days with no wash cloths and had to resort to using the dish towels. They ask that you don't get a towel unless really necessary and this goes for the beach towels too. I like to be eco friendly too but when staying at such a nice hotel I felt this was a bit much.

THE FOOD..... is very very expensive in Barbados. We were astonished at the prices of many things that we are able to purchase very inexpensively in the US. Anything that is imported will have a 15% VAT added to the already high pricing, so do be prepared for that. I was quite disappointed with the availability of fresh produce..fruits and veggies did not seem like very good quality like I am used to and again, very pricey! My husband and I wondered how the people of Barbados are able to feed their families. It was an incentive to us to always tip and to tip well. At any of the eating establishments, there was a 10% service charge added to your bill. Since we usually tip 15% to 20% here in the U.S. depending on the service, my husband would add an additional tip of 5 or 10%. Keep in mind that the 10% service charge always added is shared between all of the employees. If you leave an additional tip on the receipt (if using credit card) then this is also shared. If you want the tip to go to your server only, then any additional tip needs to be paid in cash and given directly to your server.
While at THE CRANE we ate at both L'AZURE and ZEN. We generally ate breakfast and lunch at L'Azure. "The Crane Breakfast" was always really good and we usually ate on the outdoor balcony overlooking the sea which was very breezy and beautiful of course. One morning we sat inside because it looked as if it may rain which it did. It was a really nice rainfall and made for a romantic breakfast. We ate dinner twice at L'AZURE. One night it was an Italian theme "buffet" where a chef would cook your food. There was plenty of selection and the desserts were wonderful but disappeared fast. Another night we had filets which were wonderful as well. Unfortunately, we saved the ZEN for last and discovered that it was so delicious that had we known we would have eaten there several times! The food was elegant and artfully prepared, and thE atmosphere, enchanting. The servers at L'AZURE seemed more friendly than at the ZEN and some knew us by name before our visit concluded. This may be only due to the fact that by eating at L'Azure so often as compared to only once at Zen that our servers got to know us. One other thing to throw in, the music played at L'AZURE really set the mood. I'm not sure who it was but think, "Billie Holliday"...sultry. We loved it.

THE SERVICE... was friendly, helpful, smiling, greeting, happy...a great group of people that we enjoyed spending our vacation around and will not soon forget. We were always very polite to everybody and were treated respectfully in return.

THE CONSTRUCTION...is ongoing but did not disturb us. Yes, there was noise as we were coming or going from our room but I don't recall hearing it inside of our room. If that is all you can focus on while you are here then you probably need to be in a psychiatrist's chair instead. There is so much beauty here to behold that there was no way to be distracted by the construction activity. Oh, and by the way, I heard no construction noise at the historic pool, on the grounds by the sea or on the beach. If it WAS there I surely did not notice it.

THE NEW POOL...is open and gorgeous. The only drawback to using it was that there was no bar as of yet although there is one in the plans. Some people did not mind this of course and did use it. The pool is very large and not at all crowded. My husband and I would have liked to use the hot tub but the water was not hot. The hot tub is very large and located within the open air walls of a stone structure...no ceiling and several "window" openings. It is very luxurious looking but again, the water was less than lukewarm which was disappointing so we were unable to use it.

THE GROUNDS...lovely to take a stroll on in the morning and evening. Beautiful landscaping surrounds the entire grounds of the hotel. There are what I assume are the original concrete benches by the seawall that sit up high on the cliff from which we enjoyed watching the sunrise one morning. Breathtaking.

THE POOL and CRANE BEACH
We spent our pool time at the historic hotel pool. It was very lovely and overlooks the sea so you can hear the waves crashing and feel the gentle breeze. There is a pool bar that seems to never be busy and they made us several fresh and sun quenching cocktails. The pool area and the actual beach are pure dreams to behold. If you could walk into a picture perfect postcard you would be here or on Crane beach. Crane Beach is accessed by the famous (approx.) "100 STAIRS!" There is an elevator project in the works which will be wonderful when completed but let me tell you that every step down to that beach was a step closer to paradise. We weren't bothered by them at all but I can see where the less than fit, elderly or someone with a disability would have trouble with the stairs. But the elevator will be the answer to that. The sand is so soft and powdery (like a mixture of cinnamon sugar and flour) it was a pleasure going barefoot. It has tiny bits of pinkish red coral in it that cast the pink shade that it is reported to have. The beach was clean, the water soft and very salty of course. My tip: Bring a bottle of water to rinse your eyes in case you get sea water in them. It is an instant relief...trust me! The surf is rough but I saw several people body surfing, jumping from the cliff, boogie boarding and just frolicking in the water. A pure paradise it was. If I could wrap it up in one word for you I would pick "SURREAL" really, it is beyond words. The colors of this place have a vibrancy and intensity that may not even exist on the color palette. No wonder people call it heavenly.

• Liked — The location and views
  • Disliked — Inconsistency of hot water availability in our room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!