“The Crane is Heaven on Earth!”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
folkestone
“The Crane is Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed September 26, 2005

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday staying at The Crane, St Phillip. I cannot recommend this Hotel enough. Paradise. The setting, the standard of rooms, the staff, the beach, the food. I can go on and on. Wonderful, First class Hotel, THE BEST. We have been to Barbados 10 times and know lots of people who go to the Island. We will only be using The Crane from now on.

9 Thank frankies12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
london uk
Reviewed September 19, 2005

Hi,

I stayed at the Crane hotel for 10 nights from the 9th September. We had a one bed suite with plunge pool in the second building on the 2nd floor.

The room was clean and spacious, we had a view of the ocean and some construction work but it was not disruptive. The water in the plunge pool was very cold :-( so beware.

The main bathroom was huge and had a jet spa for two and two sinks, I recommend a relaxing spa bath. In addition to this there was a shower room too so overall we had two bathrooms.

We did not have any problems with the air con, water or lifts. I did meet some people there that were having issues but they were upgraded to another larger suite free of charge.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The beach was a little small but very beautiful.

There is free broadband access in the suites so i took my laptop however, there are two PC's in reception that can be used free of charge.

In addition to this there was a DVD and Video player so you can take some films with you. there was a TV in the living room and in the bed room - both a good size (28").

We visited a few other hotels where friends were staying and i must say that the crane is great value and looks nice in comparison to the others.

The Crane is not located in near the Gap or Bridgetown so you really do need a car, but the roads are safe and it's not difficult to drive (by the way the roads are not sign posted very well). Stoutes car rental were reasonably priced and offered a great service. They drop the car off to the airport or your hotel and you can leave it there or at the airport on your departure. (---)

The restaurants served high quality food, especially the Thai. The Sunday gospel breakfast was nice too.

Unlike the uk the shops are generally open Monday to Saturday from 8 am – 4 pm. Some shops in Bridgetown close at 3 pm on a Saturday and things are generally closed on a Sunday.

Duty free is cheaper in Bridgetown than in the G- Adams airport on departure. They pack the tax free items and send them to the airport for you to pick up when you leave – don’t worry your items are there for you and are packed well to avoid breakages.

club Xtreme in Worthing is a great place to go, the staff are friendly and the DJ's have a great vibe. The price you pay at the door includes all your drinks :-). There is a taxi place outside the cub for those who are not staying locally.

Harrison’s cave is a must - it's not easy to drive there so ask for very clear directions before you set out or get a taxi.

the Bajan people are generous, polite and very welcoming. Barbados is a safe place to go, they have a low crime rate.

I recommend a trip to Barbados.
Make sure you take lots of sun cream and insect repellent.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank devineelle
Reviewed September 12, 2005

The crane beach is beautiful. The wave are rough, but enjoyable, and the pink sand is heaven. We have gone to the Crane for many years as a family and always had a good time, in part because we love the island. The room we generally have is in the old section of the hotel and very elegant, large, and with beautiful views. However with the recent growth of the new "residences" the quality of services has diminished and the attitude of the uppoer level managment(owners) certainly does not reflect the 4 star hotel image the crane likes to project. The management has a minimal interest in guest concerns and at times they are rather rude and insulting. The bajan staff is wonderful, but clearly fearful of the managemnt which is difficult to watch. Overall if one can ignore these issues (which we have learned to do) the beach and the view are well worth the trip

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We stayed at The Crane Resort and was very dissapointed with our stay. The rooms are very spacious and have nice decor but if you like your room with air conditioning that works efficiently, you'll definitely have problems, needless to say that the A/C does not work at all times. We were also very annoyed by the construction that goes on during the day.....it was VERY LOUD. We constantly reminded housekeeping to replenish our towels, coffee, tea etc. It really baffled me about the daily service charge for the resort not to mention when you eat at their restaurant "L'azure" they charge a Non-Alcoholic fee......what is up with that? There's a lack of variety from the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu.....there is a 1/2 hour wait once you've ordered your breakfast......service is not that great except for 1 or 2 waiters that we had. I were pretty annoyed when we picked out a certain table for dinner earlier that day, only to get there at dinner time and found out that they had given it to another party. The Crane is very far from other restaurants(nicer restaurants) and shopping. We went to Sandy Lane resort for breakfast, and oh my good, it is $100 per person.....I wouldn't have minded if the breakfast was actually worth it...there is a reason why the price is not on the menu.

The beach at the Crane is beautiful, but the waves are very strong even if you're a good swimmer, do not under-estimate the waves. I think that there should be signs on the beach warning people about their safety. When you read about it, you think it's not that big of a deal but unfortunately one of us was hurt by the wave with a minor spinal cord injury.......just bare in mind that it could have been a lot worst......I was very dissapointed with the ambulance which took about 1 hour to get there....they charge you $85 BD just to take you to the hospital. I really wished things worked out better.......I wouldn't go back to The Crane but good luck to all of you.

PS Be ready to pay a fee of $25 BD per person when departing the airport.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 3, 2005

my husband and our 2 children aged 16 and 13 and I have returned from the Crane after staying for 2 weeks 30th july to 13th August and what a fantastic time we had. The one bedroom suite with a plunge pool was out of this world, I took a morning and evening dip each day. the suite had everything you could wish for a fully fitted kitchen, washer dryer so you you had no washing to do on return.The staff were excellent, the Crane although in the process of construction had little impact on our stay, when the building is finished it will be an excellent addition to the resort.
The gospel sunday buffet breakfast shouldn't be missed, both restaurants
although a little pricey were excellent. We hired a mini moke for a week to enable us to tour the island which was great, supermarkets were easy and accessable if required, a shuttle bus is provided as well as a shuttle each week to Bridgetown. Beach towels are provided as a bonus, the Crane beach has pink coral sand , so soft. the sea was excellent and our son was body boarding all the time(body boards provided). the jacuuzzi bath and jacuuzzi shower were a bonus. WE WILL RETURN!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Crane this July to celebrate his birthday on the 4th. I must say that some of the earlier reviews regarding this hotel made me a little uneasy; however, I decided to give it a try anyway. Well, I am glad I did. The resort looks just like it does on the website. Upon arrival, we found out the initial room we had been assigned did not have air (the building --4--normally does, but for some reason it was broke). The front desk offered us a room in the antique building (room 2). Although the room didn't have air, they brought in 2 fans for us to use. I must admit, I was skeptical that the fans would do the trick, but they did. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen (that we never used!). It was wonderfully appointed and the bathroom had a nice whirlpool tub.

The staff was extremely gracious; however, Julie the bartender was by far my favorite. Her rum punches are a must have!!! The concierge (from NJ) was also extremely helpful. She made special arrangements to have a cake, champagne and breakfast delivered to our room on my hubby's b-day.

We were not crazy about the restaurant L'Azure for dinner, but the breakfast was good-- little pricey though. We didn't try the Japanese restaurant.

The hotel is far from the major restaurants, and a taxi to the Gap will cost you about $35.00-$40.00 roundtrip. The taxi drivers are more than willing to take you to your destination and wait for you until you are done. There is no shortage of taxis at the hotel.

If you love good food (and who doesn't) I highly recommend the Cliff (very expensive, but well worth it!!), Josefs, and the Southseas.

Overall, loved the resort, Banks beer and Barbados!! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, Connecticut
Reviewed August 17, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Crane for 8 days/7 nights over Memorial Day weekend b/c we found an awesome deal through Orbitz. It was the best vacation I have ever had. We were celebrating 1 year since the day we met, and it was so beautiful and gorgeous! The heat took a little getting used to since we are from Connecticut, and so we were sweltering when we got to The Crane. We had one of the Jr. Garden View suites which were so nice, but we thought it was very hot. We turned on the ceiling fan and the A/C, and it took about a whole day for the room to actually cool down. Once we got used to the heat and humidity in the Carribean, we mainly kept the doors closed to keep the cool in, but the fan and A/C were working just fine as long as we left it on all the time, even if we weren't in the room. I hate to waste electricity like that, but it does get hot down there! We were on the top floor and our view outside of our balcony gave us a partial view of the ocean which was so amazing. We often sat outside on the balcony to relax and enjoy the breeze. We read about the construction that was going on, but we didn't hear a bit of it. In fact, there was construction but it was so out of the way that we were easily able to sleep in during the mornings before we went out.

The pool was so nice to lay out at everyday, and we went to the beach one day but the waves were a bit too rough to really enjoy. The weather was absolutely perfect the entire trip and when it rained, it rained for about 5 minutes max and would clear up immediately. We usually went into the lobby during the short rain and would use the internet/computer that was available for everyone.

My boyfriend and I thought the food was extremely good at both restaurants; however, they are a bit pricey. We actually went into town to buy a few groceries so we could snack on sandwiches and could have breakfast in the mornings in bed or on the balcony. We made some friends with some hotel guests who were in a different type of room than us and they had an entire kitchen to cook in. Their rooms was bigger than the size of my apt and my apt is over 1000 sq ft!

The Crane is on the remote side of the island and so, if you want to really do anything, you have to either take a taxi or rent a car to get into town. Taxis were quite expensive and so we thought it was worth renting a car. We were able to get all over the island, but the roads are very badly marked that if you don't stay on a well-paved road, you could easily get lost.

We also went scuba-diving while we were down there and it was so beautiful and relaxing. It was definitely the highlight of our trip. The Crane was very nice to book us the dive and the prices were extremely reasonable.

The only downside to this entire vacation is what we witnessed one night from our balcony. My suggestion to anyone who reads this: DO NOT LEAVE ANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS IN YOUR CAR!!! We saw one of the security staff walking outside at 1:30 at night slowly flashing his flashlight into cars. He tried our rental car first but it was locked. He moved on to an open top jeep and started rummaging through their car and removed something out of it. He continued on for several more cars before he stopped. We were appalled at witnessing this and left a note on the car the next morning to let the owners know. They kept their car covered and locked from then on and reported it to the hotel.

Other than that, the hotel was very good. The maid service was excellent and they were extremely honest. We left change and a few dollars lying out and they did not touch a cent! They cleaned extremely thoroughly and would fold and tidy up our clothes and toiletries and groceries for us. Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. They were a little on the slow side but that is to be expected from a Carribean island with a very Carribean attitude. I genuinely hope everyone's experience was and will be as good as ours!

• Stayed June 2005
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,013 reviews
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!