“A holiday to cherish”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
Gloucester,England
Reviewed September 3, 2005

my husband and our 2 children aged 16 and 13 and I have returned from the Crane after staying for 2 weeks 30th july to 13th August and what a fantastic time we had. The one bedroom suite with a plunge pool was out of this world, I took a morning and evening dip each day. the suite had everything you could wish for a fully fitted kitchen, washer dryer so you you had no washing to do on return.The staff were excellent, the Crane although in the process of construction had little impact on our stay, when the building is finished it will be an excellent addition to the resort.
The gospel sunday buffet breakfast shouldn't be missed, both restaurants
although a little pricey were excellent. We hired a mini moke for a week to enable us to tour the island which was great, supermarkets were easy and accessable if required, a shuttle bus is provided as well as a shuttle each week to Bridgetown. Beach towels are provided as a bonus, the Crane beach has pink coral sand , so soft. the sea was excellent and our son was body boarding all the time(body boards provided). the jacuuzzi bath and jacuuzzi shower were a bonus. WE WILL RETURN!!!!!!!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,622)

Springfield VA
Reviewed August 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Crane this July to celebrate his birthday on the 4th. I must say that some of the earlier reviews regarding this hotel made me a little uneasy; however, I decided to give it a try anyway. Well, I am glad I did. The resort looks just like it does on the website. Upon arrival, we found out the initial room we had been assigned did not have air (the building --4--normally does, but for some reason it was broke). The front desk offered us a room in the antique building (room 2). Although the room didn't have air, they brought in 2 fans for us to use. I must admit, I was skeptical that the fans would do the trick, but they did. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen (that we never used!). It was wonderfully appointed and the bathroom had a nice whirlpool tub.

The staff was extremely gracious; however, Julie the bartender was by far my favorite. Her rum punches are a must have!!! The concierge (from NJ) was also extremely helpful. She made special arrangements to have a cake, champagne and breakfast delivered to our room on my hubby's b-day.

We were not crazy about the restaurant L'Azure for dinner, but the breakfast was good-- little pricey though. We didn't try the Japanese restaurant.

The hotel is far from the major restaurants, and a taxi to the Gap will cost you about $35.00-$40.00 roundtrip. The taxi drivers are more than willing to take you to your destination and wait for you until you are done. There is no shortage of taxis at the hotel.

If you love good food (and who doesn't) I highly recommend the Cliff (very expensive, but well worth it!!), Josefs, and the Southseas.

Overall, loved the resort, Banks beer and Barbados!! We will definitely be back!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Crane for 8 days/7 nights over Memorial Day weekend b/c we found an awesome deal through Orbitz. It was the best vacation I have ever had. We were celebrating 1 year since the day we met, and it was so beautiful and gorgeous! The heat took a little getting used to since we are from Connecticut, and so we were sweltering when we got to The Crane. We had one of the Jr. Garden View suites which were so nice, but we thought it was very hot. We turned on the ceiling fan and the A/C, and it took about a whole day for the room to actually cool down. Once we got used to the heat and humidity in the Carribean, we mainly kept the doors closed to keep the cool in, but the fan and A/C were working just fine as long as we left it on all the time, even if we weren't in the room. I hate to waste electricity like that, but it does get hot down there! We were on the top floor and our view outside of our balcony gave us a partial view of the ocean which was so amazing. We often sat outside on the balcony to relax and enjoy the breeze. We read about the construction that was going on, but we didn't hear a bit of it. In fact, there was construction but it was so out of the way that we were easily able to sleep in during the mornings before we went out.

The pool was so nice to lay out at everyday, and we went to the beach one day but the waves were a bit too rough to really enjoy. The weather was absolutely perfect the entire trip and when it rained, it rained for about 5 minutes max and would clear up immediately. We usually went into the lobby during the short rain and would use the internet/computer that was available for everyone.

My boyfriend and I thought the food was extremely good at both restaurants; however, they are a bit pricey. We actually went into town to buy a few groceries so we could snack on sandwiches and could have breakfast in the mornings in bed or on the balcony. We made some friends with some hotel guests who were in a different type of room than us and they had an entire kitchen to cook in. Their rooms was bigger than the size of my apt and my apt is over 1000 sq ft!

The Crane is on the remote side of the island and so, if you want to really do anything, you have to either take a taxi or rent a car to get into town. Taxis were quite expensive and so we thought it was worth renting a car. We were able to get all over the island, but the roads are very badly marked that if you don't stay on a well-paved road, you could easily get lost.

We also went scuba-diving while we were down there and it was so beautiful and relaxing. It was definitely the highlight of our trip. The Crane was very nice to book us the dive and the prices were extremely reasonable.

The only downside to this entire vacation is what we witnessed one night from our balcony. My suggestion to anyone who reads this: DO NOT LEAVE ANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS IN YOUR CAR!!! We saw one of the security staff walking outside at 1:30 at night slowly flashing his flashlight into cars. He tried our rental car first but it was locked. He moved on to an open top jeep and started rummaging through their car and removed something out of it. He continued on for several more cars before he stopped. We were appalled at witnessing this and left a note on the car the next morning to let the owners know. They kept their car covered and locked from then on and reported it to the hotel.

Other than that, the hotel was very good. The maid service was excellent and they were extremely honest. We left change and a few dollars lying out and they did not touch a cent! They cleaned extremely thoroughly and would fold and tidy up our clothes and toiletries and groceries for us. Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. They were a little on the slow side but that is to be expected from a Carribean island with a very Carribean attitude. I genuinely hope everyone's experience was and will be as good as ours!

• Stayed: June 2005
14  Thank GracieBebe
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We are from Los Angeles and wanted to go somewhere to relax and unwind from our hectic lives! We found The Crane advertised in Costco at very reasonable rates for a garden view room. We were a little hesitant at the great variety of mixed reviews, but decided to take a chance! Before this trip we had never been to the Carribean.

The location of the hotel/timeshare, is on the less commercial side of the island. That means, you can only really eat at the hotel, which is rather expensive and repetative. Also, if you want to do some sight seeing and go to calm beaches, you have to take a rather expensive and scary taxi ride over to the other side of the island(a 30 min ride)!Also, the taxi drivers are rather rough and rental cars are extremely expensive! The hotel is located on top of cliff, with a very nice but rough surf beach on the bottom of the cliff. This beach is good for sunbathing, but not for swimming or lounging in the water.

We discovered, the rooms are actually quite beautful, with dark wood furniture. However, there are several things that made the visit rather uncomfortable:
1. Some of the building have air conditioning, some don't.
2. There is no steady hot water (this was kind of a shocker for me)
(There is a huge jacuzzi tub, but with no hot water, was kind of more a mean tease than anything else!)
3. At first the staff is seems helpful and happy, but once you ask for something or complain in any way, their attitudes change completely and become down right rude!
4. We did not know that most of the hotel is used as timeshares (RCI), and this explains the overall feeling that it's not really meant as a 4star resort as advertised in our travel brochure!
5. There is construction everywhere! We did not have a room with a plunge pool, I heard from other visitors it was quite nice, until the construction started and the pools would be filled with dirt and soot.

Overall, we learned that from now on when the reviews on TripAdvisor are so varied, to definitely be wary! The Crane is definitely not what we expected it to be! Maybe great for families and timeshares, not so great for us expecting a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank chungrn
Londond, UK
Reviewed August 10, 2005

I booked a week at the Crane in July. Arriving late at night I was unaware of the consruction and was not advised in advance. I woke the next morning 7.30am to construction noises and pneumatic drill. I was offered a different room which I was aassured was quieter but directly faced the construction and there was a front loader outside my room. I was unable to use the very nice balcony with pool as the noise was defening.

I check out and moved to a different hotel.

It may be worth checking out once the building is complete - in the interim look elsewhere

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2005

The main selling point of the Crane must be the excellent beach and wonderful ocean views. The sand is fine and soft and the sea, though it does crash in much more than on the west of the island, is not too rough. The beach is not too crowded and feels much more private than elsewhere on the island.

We stayed in a top floor 2-bed apartment (marvellous 20ft high ceilings and great views). The rooms were huge and generally of a high quality. Not all of the finishes and fittings were quite what might be expected of a top class hotel but the accommodation was generally of a very high quality. The aircon worked (though it wasn't the most efficient, but no problems), the water was fine (I think, though didn't check, that the hot water is probably heated through solar energy on the roof of each block - that would be sensible and would fit with the fact that the hot water was generally a few degrees warmer later in the day). All the staff seemed friendly and service in the restaurant was good.

The building work did not present a problem (though the hotel will certainly be much nicer when its completed) and the current discount on prices seems very fair.

If you want 5 star quality service then Sandy Lane or Villa Nova are perhaps better places to stay in Barbados. The Crane offers good standards of service and accommodation in an outstanding location.

11  Thank DAVIDFD
Reviewed July 24, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Crane for 4 days/4 nights in the middle of the July heat, but never experienced any of the problems described elsewhere on this board. However, we did notice more than one guest with a less-than-complimentary attitude toward the staff, and those people are going to have (or create) problems no matter where they stay.

AS FOR THE REST OF US, this was the perfect place to unwind. The pool (and its view) are amazing, as are the beach down below. The sand and the Atlantic surf crashing down on you are worth the trip alone.

Our room was more than adequate, with a large king-sized 4 post bed, hardwood floors, both A/C and ceiling fan, and the 2 person jacuzzi. Not to the mention the nice balcony where we watched nightly tropical rainshowers.

Both restaurants are recommended. We enjoyed breakfast at L'Azure 2 or 3 times, lunch and dinner there once, and dinner at Zen once. Zen's bricks&mortar aren't finished yet, but it's about the food.

Finally, the staff was excellent from the beach to the restaurants to the pool to the lobby to our room. I really can't imagine the problems complained of by others.

Were the restaurants a bit pricey? Yes, but, newsflash: don't go to Barbados if you're trying to eat on the cheap.

A final word, for those of us who grew up driving on the right hand side of the road: I might not attempt renting or hiring a car, for the obvious reasons. However, good taxi service is available on Barbados at any time and any place. The drivers will give you their own personal business cards, and pretty much dedicate themselves to becoming your personal chaffeurs while there. Take about $50-$75 US per cabs per day.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
10 mi away
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#23 of 50 in Christ Church Parish

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!