2,841 results
All reviewsgeneral storeplunge poolcarriage housegospel breakfastpink sandthe air conditioningwasher dryerstayed in buildingthe cliffemerald cityocean viewrum punchzen restauranttime sharefull kitchengrocery storeour honeymoon
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Crane from June 15th. to 25th. this year. While we were there we were married and spent our honeymoon at The Crane as well.

Both my wife and myself had a wonderful time and enjoyed The Crane and it’s surroundings and everything that The Crane has to offer.

As a retired Airline Pilot, I am sure you would understand when I say I have stayed at hundred’s of high-end Resort Hotels all over the world. However; in twenty-eight years I have never taken the time to write and say thank you for such a wonderful stay.

I wanted to remark on your Reservation Staff and the great service they provided. Many times I find the reservations staff never get enough credit for the effort they put into making sure that we got exactly what we purchased. They made sure that we were treated with dignity and respect at all times.

I also wanted to acknowledge Mr. Korey Boyce who gave us unbelievable service. He made sure that the extra items we purchased were indeed carried out. When Korey was not there the other reservation staff jumped in and made sure everything went as it should have.

We look forward to returning to The Crane for many years to come. Again thank you for the wonderful service and for making our stay at The Crane the best time we have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dreamerscott
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at The Crane Resort from June 12 thru 19 2009. We took this vacation due to a great deal from Best of Barbados package.

We arrived around 4pm at the resort. We had a fast check in. Of course we received the complimentary rum punch. A good start after a flight from JFK!

We were in room 922 -ocean front villa. From our balcony we had great sights of the ocean and lovely grounds. Even saw a monkey our first day from balcony. I'm not sure we would have paid for the room with the first floor pools. Not sure that would give us a good view of the ocean. Besides they have 5-6 pools to swim in. We heard from several people the "plunge pools" were a bit cold and not very useful. Our ocean front suite had a nice size kitchen with all the pots/pans/glasses/plates/utensils needed. Frig was good size and loved the front water/ice dispenser. Nice size couch and lots of windows in den. The bedroom was huge as was the master bathroom. Big shower and lots of storage with a good safe to lock items in. Read other reviews of A/C not working well. We set ours at 78 (74 at night) degrees and used the ceiling fans. Had no problem with being hot or humid in the rooms during our stay. Our room was facing towards East so we got the early morning sunrise coming in through the blinds. But it gave us an excuse to start our day early. The room was always cleaned by the time we came back from our activities (2:30pm to 4pm). We did not use the other full bathroom that much.

We took the hotel's van to Oistin's fish fry that night (Friday). That should not be missed. Ate at Pat's Place. With the discount coupon in our booklet from Best of Barbados, it only cost us approx US$7 dollars for two huge Mahi Mahi dinners and four Banks beers.

Included in our Best of Barbados deal was free breakfast. Breakfast was served in the 'Azure Restaurant except for Sundays. We had made to order omelets, sausage (with the hot Bajan mustard!!), pancakes, fresh fruit, cereal and juices. Only complaint was the omelet station did not get cooking until 8am. But we had more than enough if we had an early breakfast. Also an added treat was feeding the small birds that flew through the restaurant. The restaurant left its floor to ceiling windows open and small birds would fly from one table to the next and sit on the back of the chairs. We enjoyed feeding them small pieces of watermelon. Got several pictures of that!

We did the traditional Barbadian Sunday buffet lunch with Steel Drums. A lot of good food, but the price seemed steep; over $60/person (I think $75/person with wine/tip). The person playing the steel drum was good, but he also seemed to play a tape of steel drums too much.

The beach was fabulous even with the rougher waves as compared with the Western side of the island. Just have to watch yourself, but seems no rougher than the east coast of US during high tide. The attendants were helpful to brush off the sand from the lounge chairs. Very beautiful waters. Saw numerous people jump/dive off the 15-20 foot cliff on the right side of Crane Beach.

Swam all 5-6 pools on the resort. All have great views of the ocean/ resort grounds. They did a great job in the layout of them. Going in mid June meant very little crowds. We did not have to get to the beach or pool early to reserve lounge chairs.

We used Ricardo as our taxi guy from the taxi area of the resort. He is the one that drives a BMW! He was very friendly and made us feel welcome. He took us to several restaurants, grocery store and a fabulous spot to view the sunset. We won't tell you were it is, you have to have Ricardo take you there! Sunset was 6:30pm in June - early for summer in US.

Best part of The Crane Resort is the customer service. Two weeks after we left, we realized we left clothes in the washer/dryer. My girlfriend sent them an e-mail asking if they found any clothes left in our room. We received a response that they have our clothes and needed an address to send them back to us. Most hotels would have thrown them out after a few days or placed in a lost and found box with no name. We were VERY IMPRESSED! We will be back. Had a great time.

We also took Cool Running’s Catamaran 5 hr sailing trip on that Monday. Transportation from/to hotel included in price. That is the outfit to use. They only have 18-20 guests while we saw other catamaran sail boats come to our area with lots more people. We did not feel crowded while all were on the boat. Plus the crew on our boat was fun. Just make sure they play Caribbean music and not 70's-80's US music. They did play only Caribbean music after it was requested. Snorkeled with the sea turtles and tropical fish. Watch out, don't be swimming near where the crew throws out bait to entice the turtles to come. One guy was bitten on the finger. That was his badge of honor from the trip.

We also took a Picture Perfect Island tour through Johnson's Tours. Edith was our guide (just the three of us!). We toured the entire island and saw some gorgeous sites! Bottom Bay Beach was the best!

Went to Harrison Caves via public buses from the Crane Resort. Rode the blue and yellow buses during this trip. It was a good experience to travel like the locals. It took a bit longer due to transferring bus lines in Bridgetown and not knowing the locations of the bus terminals. Caves are a must!

Took in the Harbour Lights EXTRAVAGANZA Dinner Show on Wed night.
Food was great and the show from the band to fire eating guy and guys on stilts. Very entertaining. Plus, transportation from/to hotel included in price!

Went to Cutters restaurant - within walking distance from the resort - for lunch. Ate a great flying fish sandwich and the salsa was homemade. Banks beer very cold! In a tub full of water and ice!

Overall, we enjoyed our time on Barbados and would love to come b

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank michael92460
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I just returned from spending our Honeymoon at the Crane. My friends will tell you that I researched every resort and island to find the right place, that we could afford. I read EVERY SINGLE REVIEW on the Crane and I will admit that at times I started to get nervous. Well to those of you who are doing the same as I, NO WORRIES!! The Crane was EXACTLY as advertised. Everything is beautiful! The staff are very helpful and friendly (Barbados is by far the friendliest island we have been too, and we have been too many). I had read complaints about rooms not being ready when you check in, well ours was not ready either, we had to wait an hour and it was NO BIG DEAL! You receive complimentary Rum Punches (whew they are strong) and you can walk around the resort while waiting. Keep in mind that check-in is at 4:00 p.m., so if you get to the resort prior to that there is a strong possibility your room will not be ready. We ate at both the Zen and L'Azure and the food was very good. Yes, it is expensive but what resort isn't. Service was slow one night while eating at the Zen but it was packed and your on vacation so your not in a hurry. The rooms... well all I can say is SPECTACULAR! Also, those of you who read reviews not to get a plunge pool because they are cold... IGNORE THEM! The plunge pool is refreshing and such a treat! There isn't any nightlife at the resort, but taxi's are waiting at the bell station if you want to go into St. Lawrence Gap. Go to McBrides Irish Pub in St. Lawarence Gap and tell Kevin Sobers that Rodney and Michelle miss him! This place is lots of fun. DEFINATELY go to Cutters Deli to eat, this is located outside of the Crane (staff can tell you exactly, it's not far). Say Hi to Roger Goddard, the owner. He is awesome and will make you feel welcome. Try the flying fish sandwich! Great Food! The beach at the Crane is AMAZING! Also, take an island tour before you rent a car, trust me it helps. It is still very difficult to drive around following the map, but so much fun and worth it! You MUST GO to the Animal Flower Cave, it is so worth it. Make sure you wear your bathing suit under your clothes to enjoy the little swimming holes in the cave. Also, DO NOT WEAR ANY CAMOUFLAGE, this is against the law in Barbados. Not even a simple visor or hat. Only the military are allowed to wear camouflage in Barbados. Hope some of this information helps you. If you are looking for a beauitful place to relax and do not mind a 15 minute tax ride to the bars, etc..., this is the place for you!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Meshe129
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Just returned from a week's stay at the Crane. The rooms are beautiful; pics on webiste are very accurate & won't disappoint. The resort, however, is about 30 minutes on difficult roads from the nearest restaurants & not in a very good part of the island. Kitchen is available, but grocery stores are severely lacking by US standards. Meat/produce at the grocery store nearby was awful. Had planned on cooking breakfast & lunch, but only "cooked" cereal & bagels. The Crane's 2 restaurants are overpriced & not well run. Dinner took 3 hours & lunch took 2 hours, which is way too long when you want to get back to the beach/pool. Snacks are available poolside, but only about 4-5 things on the menu. The new section of the Village with the additional restaurants & fitness center is not open yet. The pool is quite nice with plenty of chairs in the sun & shaded areas. The beach (with elevator) is by far one of the nicest beaches I've ever visited - and I've been to over 30 beaches in the US, Caribbean & Hawaii. Surf is a bit rough for young children. But my teenagers had a blast. Before you book anything on this island, you should know that it is pricey even by island standards. There is a 15% tax, then a 10% service charge for the hotel & all restaurants. You are expected to tip your waiter/waitress in addition to the service charge as we were told the service charge is for all employees (busboys, cooks, etc) to split. This meant that all restaurant meals had about 45% added to the price of the meal. Casual restaurants will run about $200 for 4 (2 drinks total); and nicer resturants are over $300 with a couple drinks. Lunch at the pool, 4 BLT's and 4 cokes was $100.
Also, the matresses on the beds were incredibly hard, and the sofa sleeper mattress was so awful, couldn't be slept on at all - just springs wrapped in cotton - no padding at all.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sa7035
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at The Crane last week with our friends, and we can't wait to return. Can't say enough about the beautiful views, rooms, and friendly staff. This is our second stay at this resort and we are already making plans to return next year. We had only one problem which was air conditioning. It only worked intermittently so we were moved from building 4 to building 8. After that everything was fabulous! The construction is moving along and will be a nice touch when completed. The general store had everything we needed as well as the little boutique shops. The taxi service is great and dependable. Wayne and Willie were there for us each trip and couldn't have been nicer. We had no problems with door keys or towel service. Although we did not eat at the restaurants on site, the breakfast daily was good. If you are considering this resort, don't hesitate. Although some say it is too far away from everything, we liked it that way. Having stayed on the southwest coast several times, we prefer the quieter more picturesque area that is The Crane. Truly heaven on earth!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends