We stayed at The Crane from 04/06/13 for ten nights in a Garden View room with private pool on the ground floor. We arrived about 14.45pm, and were met with a cool towel, as we stepped out the taxi.Our room was not ready so we were offered a rum punch and asked to have a walk round the grounds or go for some lunch whilst Reception liaised with Housekeeping to get our room ready.
Our room was very nice but we had several items which did not work or were not provided (the telephone handset, light bulbs, jacuzzi, cooking tray not provided in oven.) All were dealt with very promptly apart from the issue with the jacuzzi. We reported this five times and it still was not fixed by the time we left which was very disappointing. Another disappointment was the state of the cushions on the chairs outside which were very dirty. Also the bottom bed sheet and mattress protector are not large enough to cover the mattress which is not really very hygienic at all. The bedding consists of a top cover and a sheet, however, if like me you prefer the comfort of a duvet you might like to ask for extra blankets and these can be requested from housekeeping should you require. Robes are provided in the rooms, however, slippers are not. We did request slippers but were told this is not something the resort provides - not sure why. A turn down service is not available as standard but can be requested giving a least one hour’s notice.
We had an issue with cockroaches in the room and we asked housekeeping to spray the room which they did once. Unfortunately, it needed sprayed every day to avoid these insects. We eventually bought an insect spray ourselves and sprayed the room each night (this was after finding a cockroach in my underwear drawer!).The mosquitoes were also a problem and I'm not sure if this was due to us having a garden room with pool on the ground floor. The resort is sprayed to get rid of mosquitoes twice weekly on a Tuesday and Thursday, however, MANAGEMENT - would it be an idea to spray the garden rooms too to reduce the amount of mosquitoes?
At check in you will pay a $100 US dollar deposit for your towels which is refunded at the end of your stay if the towels are handed back. You can change your towels at any time during your stay. Towels are available from Reception, the towel hut at the pool or at the beach. You are only allocated one towel each and neither are large enough to cover the sun beds which means you might be lying in someone else’s sweat which if you find this to be an unpleasant thought I would suggest bringing additional towels of your own.
A nice touch is the free Wi-Fi offered and free international calls which was a godsend as my father-in-law wasn't too well and it was great to be able to phone home for free to check on him.
The shop in the resort stocks most items and they will order fresh chicken and steak if you want. The prices are not much more expensive than out with the resort so don’t waste money on a taxi to Emerald City (around $20 US return) as a) Emerald City is not worth it and b) you can get most of the items you need at the resort shop for not much more.
The Trimart store at Sky Mall outside Bridgetown is worth a visit as it is a large modern supermarket with lots of choice and fresh produce and can be reached by taxi or hired car.
Hiring a car is simple, cheap and easy. The resort Client services will organise this for you.
If you do get out and about go and visit Harrisons Caves as this underground wonder is well worth a visit.
The resort run a shuttle bus to Bridgetown every Thursday for a small charge; it leaves at around 09.00am and returns at 1pm. There is also a shuttle bus to Oistins every Friday night, again for a reasonable fee. This is a great place to visit as you can see the freshly caught fish being prepared and then sit down and have this barbequed at one of the many food stands. There is music and dancing and cheap rum punch and a brilliant atmosphere. You won’t be in Barbados long before someone recommends Oistins to you!
The resort is beautifully quiet and friendly, however, be prepared for the noise of the tree frogs in the evening as soon as the sun goes down and when the tree frogs stop at dawn the pigeons start up. It does take a bit of getting used to!
Bar 1887 is a great place to chill after a day of sunbathing or sightseeing. They have a Happy Hour between 5.30pm and 6.30pm every evening apart from a Monday. There is a great selection of cocktails, beers or spirits at a very reasonable price.
There are four restaurants in the resort - D’Onofrios restaurant (Italian), Azzure (international), Zen (Japanese/Thai) and The Carriage House (international – snacks and light lunches). We visited both D’Onofrios and Azzure when we were there. The service is good but friendlier in Azzure and the food is better in D’Onofrios’s but expensive in each restaurant. It was disappointing that The Carriage house closed at 17.30pm as it would have been lovely to sit there having an early evening meal and watch the sun go down. MANAGEMENT – Can’t this restaurant be opened a little later?
The garden grounds extend to 40 acres and are kept very well, however, there are things like lights on pathways requiring new bulbs, a storage box near the lift to the beach with a broken lid, which need attention. Likewise, in the Reception area by late afternoon there can be baskets with towels spilling out them, chairs and magazines lying in disarray. These are not big fixes but a little attention to detail from the Reception staff would ensure it always looks organised and professional. Access to the beach is by way of a glass lift (which needs a good clean) or steps. Be aware that the beach is not a private beach belonging to the hotel but can be used by anyone.
The Crane is going through a period of expansion at present, however, I do think it needs to pay attention to maintaining the areas already in use. A lick of paint, a nail or two, and some recovering of chairs would not go amiss. It would assist in making the Resort look more cared for and loved.
I would return to The Crane as everyone is so friendly and the atmosphere is lovely, however, as mentioned above, I do think that a little more TLC would go a long way at this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Kognitiv US Corp, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish