“our Barbados trip”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This resort was very beautiful, wonderful pools and gardens and views over the sea.. we shared a ground floor apartment, so had own pool which was wonderful, clean and well looked after with spectacular views over the gardens, and other pools, a humming bird visited us almost every day. We had studio part, at rear, so own patio, surround by lovely gardens, and loads or birds visited us.. Gardens well maintained.. its own private beach, which although small, really lovely with fine pale pink sand...Fab.. Restaurants food was very good, especially L 'Azure. service very good with happy and friendly staff all over this resort, even chatting to gardeners, we got tips and very impressed with young gardeners knowledge.
Enjoyed trips round the island; Mount Gay rum, good tour, and best cocktails afterwards, hic,, we had a great afternoon there... Andromeda gardens, sensational... also flower forrest... Harrison Cave, best trip, great tourist venue, well planned and organised with video first, then underground on a big trolley train, cathederal and great hall areas, a wonderful site to see.. Earthworks pottery a good place to visit as well,... islanders we found a very friendly happy people, especially at church service, which by husband went to.. Mothers day was a great celebration.... we had an excellent holiday....
one complaint, although apartment pool excellent, patio did not seem to be on a regular list to clean, also the same with small patio at rear on to gardens, also apartment patio chairs and sunloungers, were very worn, that let down the appearance somewhat... all other areas we found were well maintained... an second complaint as well, although apartments looked good, the smart wooden floors did not keep rooms cool, they were always warm at night, it took a long time to cool apartment... and Aircon, was approx £4 an hour, so expensive, it the ceiling fan was not sufficient..... whereas the bathrooms with marble floors were much cooler.
on a positive note. our family hired a car, and at end of first week, car had two problems, so we called in at car hire as we headed back to apartment, and within 15 min we were out with another car... brilliant service, to enjoy our second week...

Room Tip: take a good mosie repellent, ours did not work.....
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank murphy-edin
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Murphy-edin,

Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed review. We are happy that you had an opportunity to spend two weeks enjoying all that The Crane and Barbados have to offer. It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay with us.

We have also taken your comments regarding the patio chairs and sun loungers into consideration. Just one small clarification, all beaches in Barbados are in fact public beaches and although The Crane Resort is located on the cliff above the beach we do not in any way own this beach.

I have also spoken to our Housekeeping Manager who confirmed that every occupied room in the resort is cleaned daily by attendants between the hours of 9am- 4pm unless guests have specifically indicated otherwise.

In terms of your air conditioning charges, these are in line with rates published by the Barbados Light & Power for fuel/energy surcharges. Our members are advised of air conditioning fees and required to sign their agreement to the necessary terms and services when checking in to the resort.

A belated ‘Happy Mother’s Day’ to you and we look forward to welcoming you to the resort on your next Barbados holiday.

There are newer reviews for The Crane Resort

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a one bedroom ocean view suite. The room was well equipped (two full bathrooms, full kitchen, washer/dryer). The ground were well kept and clean. The pools and beach had enough chairs and were kept extremely clean.
The food and the quality was below a fast food outlet. Breakfast was a nightmare: one day ordered eggs over easy, the eggs came out brown and hard with raw bacon. The waiter was shocked when I sent it back. Another morning the same waiter was surprised when I asked for the fruit plate that was included in my order. Ate at the Italian restaurant and became violently ill later that evening. Zen had the only eatable food, but it was over priced for the quality of the ingredients. Found this the problem at all off the dining outlets, poor quality of the food. I thought being on an island there would be fresh seafood and fish. Dining at the Carriage House the waiter informed us the crab salad was not real crab. It seemed like the property did not have any trained chefs. Thus hungry for the entire stay, I would not recommend the Crane.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Racquetdoctor
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place has stood the test of time. We stayed in a "junior suite". Given it's size I can't imagine what a grown-up suite would look like. It included kitchenette with fridge, stove, dishwasher, the works. Living room with flat screen tv, masterbedroom suite with huge master bath and jacuzzi tub. Balcony overlooked the Atlantic and we had our own little "plunge pool" which was the size of a hot tub. Service was typically Caribbean slow but the place was so beautiful you really didn't care. Food was good but expensive, with 3 restaurants to choose from. Two huge swimming pools - one is the original which has been filmed in movies dating probably from the 1960's. The view over the Atlantic coast is breath-taking. We would definitely go back. The only drawback is that it's fairly far from Bridgetown or any other community with night life. So take some good books (or iPad- the wireless worked fine and is free) and be prepared to lie around and be quietly spoiled in the lap of luxury old Caribbean style.

Room Tip: It's worth the money to have the full-on Atlantic ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lisainthestates
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear lisainthestates,

We agree that The Crane has definitely stood the test of time as the oldest continuously operating hotel in the region. I’ve noted that you actually stayed in a One Bedroom Residence with plunge pool. Each residence is equipped with all the modern conveniences, and décor, luxurious finishes and stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean.\

Presently, we have four restaurants on property; Zen Restaurant- ‘Zagat rated No. 1 for food in Barbados; L’Azure Restaurant- a fusion of International and Caribbean cuisine; D’Onofrio’s Trattoria- casual Italian dining and The Carriage House- the perfect spot for a party of two or an entire family. In addition to our restaurants we also have the Village Café which serves a selection of pastries, ice cream, local treats and specialty coffees, all made right here on property.

We are happy to hear that you would return and looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Crane is a wonderful resort! The staff was very attentive and friendly and our room was spectacular. Being at The Crane was being in paradise. The Atlantic Ocean was quite rough, strong currents and under tows. While at the beach look for the locals....get a fresh coconut from them for $5. The milk is wonderful. Zip lining was a great time as well.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lifeisgood66
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear lifeisgood66,

Thank you for this fantastic review on the resort and your lovely comments about our staff. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and experienced the high standards of customer service that the resort is known for.

The Crane is indeed located on the Atlantic side of the island, and can experience intermittent high swells. We encourage all Crane guests and beach goers to observe red flag warnings or speak with one of the life guards who can advise of swimming conditions on the day.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you to resort in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Let me just say that the biggest attraction of this hotel/resort is the beach. It is absolutely beautiful. It's just a shame that there's not another hotel nearby.

Yes, the Crane has nice, clean, spacious rooms. However, I found the rest of my experience to be very "average". And in the case of the restaurants and food, I was highly disappointed.

At breakfast, I had to ask for a cup of coffee three times before I finally got my first cup. Also, when you are paying these inflated prices for your breakfast, I was a bit shocked when I was told that I had to go make my own toast and serve my own juice. Why not just ask me to cook my own eggs too?

For dinner, I was disappointed that there isn't any casual dining. I thought that surely you could just grab some "pub grub" at the bar, but was told that the bar doesn't serve food. I noticed that the room service menu had a burger on it from L'Azure, but when I went to L'Azure they didn't have any burgers on the dinner menu. Everything else looked boring and overpriced. So, I went back to my room and ordered room service. Well, the price was higher than listed on the room service menu in my room AND they messed up the order. (As consolation, they gave me a 10% discount. But, in my opinion, 10% isn't really a big deal. On food of this price, I'd expect better.)

Save your money next time, stay somewhere cheaper down the coast. With the money you saved, rent a car and drive to the Crane's beach.

I know I'll never stay here again. For this price, I expected not only luxurious grounds, but also 5-star service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear ryan_roxx,

We were sorry to learn of your disappointment with our Food & Beverage offering. Certain elements of our breakfast, both a la carte and buffet, are indeed self service as we recognise that guests have individual tastes and preferences.

D’Onofrio’s is actually the perfect option for casual dining with its family-friendly atmosphere and light Italian fare and during the winter season The Carriage House’s light grilled dinner menu is enjoyed by a large volume of diners.

However, we do apologise for the inconsistencies you experienced with your room service and have communicated your comments to the entire team for immediate improvement.

While we do understand your reluctance to return to The Crane in light of your less than stellar experience, please be assured that we remain committed to creating fantastic vacations for our guests. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy the true Crane experience.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We just returned home from an incredible week at The Crane, the resort is beautiful! From the moment we arrived (greeted with a rum punch, hello!) to the moment we left we enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Our room was the junior garden suite ( building 4) and was the perfect size for my daughter and I, you don’t spend a lot of time in there anyways!

Gardens and pathways are beautifully landscaped, pools are incredible.. and the beach is perfection! The breeze off the ocean is a welcome break from the heat!

Great service from all of the staff and their friendliness made us feel very welcome and comfortable.
Make sure you have breakfast at L’Azure and hit the ice cream shop! Spotting monkeys in the trees outside our room was a nice treat too!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Heather M,

Thank you for this delightful review, it is always a pleasure when our guests return home well relaxed from an enjoyable holiday with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed your junior garden suite, with over 400 square feet of space and outfitted with modern conveniences included a marble bathroom with shower and Jacuzzi bath, it truly is a home away from home.

I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to the entire team here on property and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family of four recently completed a stay at the resort. We reserved a 2 Bedroom Ocean View resort with private 28' pool. The grounds are beautiful, the staff are very friendly, the management needs to brush up on their people skills. The grounds had most of their path lights out, they started working on them 2nd night we were there out of our 5 night stay. Our room was HOT, a constant 79-81 degrees, we complained on several occasions, they tried to fix it but with no success. The 2nd bedroom was cooler and Dennis the manager suggested we all sleep in there on cots, are you kidding me!! REALLY AT $700.00 +/NIGHT! Finally a staff member I met in the ice cream shop was diligent about delivering portable units, which finally arrived on our last night. Why didn't the management suggest this and have them arrive the first night was beyond me. The main pool was closed for 2 days and re-opened on the third with enough chemicals in it to peel your skin off. The spa is the worst, I booked a massage for my wife for mothers day, she said it was small, not air-conditioned and get this NO WATER. They instructed her to go to the main restaurant to buy a
$ 4.50 bottle of water. again REALLY! Overall Staff would do anything for you I got the impression they were hindered by management, the food was very good, beach is beautiful.
Request mosquito nets, we were eaten alive the first couple of nights. Beds are not comfortable. Suggestion to the property: Fix the main pool, air conditioning, path lighting, update the spa(get a water fountain or a refrigerator, fill it with free bottled water for paying guests), new mattresses, and provide mosquito nets in room without having to ask for them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank eric d

Dear eric d,

We do apologise for the several inconsistencies you experienced during your stay with us. We recognised the discomfort your malfunctioning AC would have caused you and our Guest Relations Manager, Dennis offered you a complimentary upgrade to one of our penthouse suites as compensation. However, you opted not to move, citing safety concerns for your active kids on a higher floor. Dennis then credited your bill for the inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately, there was a mechanical issue with the main pool which was rectified over a 2 day period. However, I can assure you that under no circumstances would we ever reopen the pool at the expense of our guests’ health and safety.

We do not often receive complaints for Serenity Spa. Please be assured that your experience was a gross departure from our established standards and we have taken note of your concerns.

We were sorry to learn of the mosquito challenges you experienced. We conduct fogging of the Resort twice weekly to minimise any discomfort to our guests. Unfortunately, these pests tend to multiply following heavy rainfall. We have also taken note of your point about your mattress and are providing mattress pads for those guests who prefer that little bit extra in cushioning.

While we do recognise your reluctance to return to The Crane inlight of your unfortunate experience, we do hope you will return to Barbados to experience even more of what it has to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Philip Parish
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!