Just returned from The Crane where we stayed for 8 nights. Would highly recommend this hotel as location, service and food are all excellent. Wonderful views over the ocean from L'Azure Restaurant each morning with lovely breezes wafting through. We stayed in Building 5 to start with and had a garden view and an ocean view being on the corner, which was just amazing. However the bay window flooded every time it rained and we were stepping into puddles when we got out of bed. This was reported 3 times and they moved us after 2 nights to one of the owners suites in the Residences. Whilst this was considered an upgrade as it had its own pool and jacuzzi, the jacuzzi did not work and we were completely enclosed in by the garden wall. Nice for privacy but then you get eaten alive by the mosquito's (suffered 40 bites despite using DEET day and night) so the pool became useless to us as we could not go in the garden. I would have preferred another room of the same standard, junior suite in any of the other buildings. Plus the incessant noise contained within the garden area as we were surrounded on 3 sides by garden with an infinite number of Whistling Frogs going all night, we hardly ever slept.
All that said, we had a wonderful time, the hotel and grounds are superb with lots of places where you can be and have privacy. Pools are great also. Staff are all friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble wherever you were on site and this is always a good sign. Beach is wonderful but the lift was out of order down to the beach for 3 days and there was something like 60 steps to negotiate - fine if you are 20 something but not if you are over 60!! But it did not stop us going up and down.
Food was just fantastic in both L'Azure and D'Onofrios. Only crib I have with the Zen was that the half board meal plan was not available in there and was chargeable. The L'Azure had items on the menu that were additional, ie. Fillet Mignon or Lobster which would be expected so why could the Zen restaurant not apply the same principle? The restaurants are very expensive but as we were half board this time, I would recommend anyone planning to stay go with the half board option as you will find that you probably saved quite a good some of money as the food is superb, always presented beautifully, cooked to perfection and served with a smile, and you can eat Crab, Fillet or Lobster every night if you wish.
I am sure you will have a great time at The Crane, it is as good as all the other reviews say and more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Agoda, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish