As owners since Jan 2001, we were on site for 6 weeks in Jan-Feb ‘13. We enjoyed our time immensely this year in an upper floor of bldg. 9. Trick to avoid mosquitoes is to be located as high as possible. What a difference that made, with the fabulous sea breezes. Most of the time we didn’t even need to have the ceiling fans on; of course it helped that we had the best continuous weather EVER, since we started going to Barbados in 1991; 23 consecutive years !
How wonderful it is to be welcomed every year by the same staff members, starting with the men at the Bell desk. Being able to request our ‘special lady Brenda’ from housekeeping every year, also makes a huge difference for us, as she always remembers the way we like things done. How she does this, with hundreds of others to remember as well, is beyond me. It’s really our comfortable ‘second home’.
We have made so many great friends from various countries since buying at The Crane, that a wonderful social group has developed, which again adds tremendously to our level of comfort. As we regularly entertain friends and visiting family members, the supervisors have always been so helpful in making sure I have all the necessary equipment needed for any function I host in our unit. This year it was Sandra, last year Dionne, then Lisle, and Francia, etc. All have been extraordinarily helpful. I can’t write this without including Dwayne, the carpenter, and Rashid, who have been there whenever we needed anything made or fixed. Keisha T from Guest Services ‘rocked’ !
The beach was back to its normal ‘flawless’ feel this year, after a couple of years of ‘seaweed’, but then, that’s nature. Just can’t get enough of those walks on the perfect beach in the early morning.
D’Onofrio’s menu was very good, though it would be so much better if the servers didn’t have to start listing all the food items and wines they DON’T have at every meal. It can be very frustrating.
It would also be a GREAT idea if the Carriage House would serve dinner during the winter season again, particularly on Tuesdays when Zen is closed, and on Fridays, when most owners/guests are out of food in their units, and Saturdays when new people are arriving. At the moment, there are only D’Onofrio’s (which is small) and L’Azure and Zen (which are both very expensive and not really casual for dining on the last night). For Friday nights I realise many visitors go to Oistins, but most owners or returning guests have been there so often, they have NO need to go again.
The previous dinner menu at the Carriage House was limited, but the food and service were both EXCELLENT; kudos to Errol, Suzie and Jason, etc! It was so very pleasant to sit and eat there, following their casual Happy Hour (which we all truly miss !!!), with the incredible evening breeze enveloping you; aaahhhhhhh….
Dinners at Zen are amazing, though my favourite is the Thai Sampler with the ‘curry’ dish being so good you just don’t want the taste to ever stop !
Needless to say, the new Café is a very popular outlet for all ages, and early morning get-togethers with friends are a wonderful way to start the day. Of course the after-dinner desserts are good TOO !
No resort is without issues, and there are some at The Crane as well, but we all still love it and hope that one day soon, the construction will be done and that it will only be a need for regular maintenance, which is a constant struggle with anything on a Caribbean island, surrounded by the sea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish