The Crane is a sprawling resort on the island's east coast that is currently undergoing expansion, although that did not have any negative impact on our time there. We stayed for five nights, and there was plenty to do in terms of food (four restaurants, two of which were excellent, Zen and L'Azure) and relaxation. However, the resort is simply far away from the island's high end restaurants or watersports and activities. It's a great place to unwind and relax, the Cliffside scenery is spectacular, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable, the food was good to very good, and the room was huge and extremely comfortable.
On the downside: the place runs on "island time". Nothing is rushed, restaurants that are supposed to open for lunch at noon open closer to 1230. The hot tub near the carriage house is not heated at all, and the place shuts down fairly early in the evenings. Also, on weekends grabbing lunch can be a bit of a chore, as it seems there are too many guests for not enough lunch spots. And as I mentioned, you can expect a fifty to sixty minute cab ride to the island's high end restaurants on the island's east coast.
On the upside: our trip was booked through a third party website that informed us there were no cancellations or scheduling changes. However, when a major snowstorm cut us off by two days, The Crane eventually refunded the portion of our trip we missed. It took some time and many calls, but they did the right thing. BIG points to them for that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish