After stalking Trip Advisor reviews obsessively, I was a little worried about what our 9 day trip at the Crane would bring. I am SO happy to say that we really thought it was amazing -- the best place for us on Barbados! I'll preface my review by saying that we stay at 4 and 5 star hotels and travel often (and we are definitely foodies). That said, the Crane really exceeded all of our expectations.
The beach is AMAZING -- the best on the island in my opinion. Beaches on the west side of the island are much smaller from what we saw. Crane beach offers chairs, umbrellas, towels, etc... and drinks! There are waves, but they were fun for us. The water is warm and crystal clear, and the sand is the nicest i've ever seen (i've been to antigua, st john, st thomas, anguilla, puerto rico... the list goes on... and not on cruises.).
We had a garden view junior suite, and we really impressed. We had planned on upgrading once we got there, but didn't feel a need to. It was spacious, clean, updated, and we enjoyed the view!
The pools are also fantastic...and were virtually empty for the week we were there. i'm guessing most people were at the beach? either way, the peace and quiet was great.
The staff at the resort are top notch -- friendly, attentive, and just good service. house keeping kept our room perfect each morning, guest services (Kesha in particular!) handled our MANY requests for restaurants, taxis, etc., and the others were fantastic as well.
Regarding the food, we had breakfast included in our rate, so we had breakfast each morning at Azure. It was good, not amazing -- but definitely fine for us. We ate lunch at Cutters (offsite) or Carriage House each day, and those were good for lunch. For dinners, we went off the resort, as we weren't impressed with the dinners there. That's okay for us --- we'd rather try new things anyway. But, for full disclosure... we really didn't care for Zen. D'onfrio's was decent though... :)
The resort is isolated, peaceful and quiet. If you want to explore, you'll need to rent a car or be prepared to pay a lot for taxis. We did cabs, which were great... but very pricey. But it was worth us to stay somewhere peaceful and beautiful, and not be sandwiched in between other huge resorts (ie, the Gap...). It's all about your preference :)
All in all, fantastic resort! We hope to be back next year! Thanks so much to all the staff!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Cancelon, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish