We honeymooned at The Crane in mid-October 2012 on our first visit to Barbados.
The grounds are beautiful and well kept. A "village" at the center of the resort houses a few shops including a souvenir shop, and ice cream/coffee shop, as well as the resort's bars and restaurants where the food was all good and the prices reasonable given the venue. Price-wise, you can do a little better by shopping at the nearby grocery store but not dramatically so, especially if there's just two of you. That said, the lovely breakfast with amazing views at Azure will run up your bill real quick.
The highlight is the world-renowned beach. The sand is made of coral, so it's pink, soft, and always cool. Lounge chairs and umbrellas are at your disposal, and the guys at the hotel cabana and their unofficial coconut-drink-slinging counterparts will make you have whatever you need to enjoy your time there. An "at your own risk" climb from the beach to the cliff outcropping provides a secluded moment for you and yours as the brilliant blue waves crash below you. Most take the adventurous route back by jumping in, but the faint of heart will trek back the way they came. Stay near the cliffs for afternoon shade.
We stayed in the "Residences in the Park." The room was beautiful and clean. The full kitchen had everything we needed and the private roof-top lounge area with gas grill, outdoor shower and plunge pool took it to the next level. It was really great. Our side of the building we were in faced the ocean (tho we couldn't really see it), but I believe the other side faced hotel new construction. Consider this when booking. The Crane is not especially close to Bridgetown or other "cities" on the island, especially on the windy roads of Barbados; excursions from the resort require a little bit of planning, though there are always taxis waiting to serve guests. It's not unusual that your driver hangs out and drives you home.
The staff at hotel was very nice and always helpful.
We had an amazing time at The Crane!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish