We have visited Barbados 8 times, and previously stayed at The Sandy Lane or Royal Pavillion. We just returned from a week at The Crane where I booked a 2 bedroom oceanfront suite. We arrived to no welcome, no rum punch, and no orientation. The elevator to our room in The Palmetto building was in need of cleaning. The rooms did not have adequate air conditioning. The bathrooms had extremely poor lighting and the cheapest and smallest of towels. There was no turn down service or bottled water. Two of three toilets did not work well enough. Some batroom windows needed serious cleaning. There were no pool attendants for set up services or food or drink services. Each guest is only allowed one towel, so once you use it for chair coverage you are at a loss for how to dry after a swim. Everywhere we walked we saw some sign of disrepair...workers, machines, orange net fencing. It would seem maintenance should be preformed prior to the beginning of tourist season. On Wednesday we were left a note from management that there would be a planned maintenance on our building for Thanksgiving Day...therefore, no water from 9 to 5. As it turned out we had no hot water all day that Thursday, through 1:00 the following day when we checked out. Had I been told about this planned maintenance when I booked the trip I would not have chosen this resort. Hot water is not a luxury it is a basic provision.
Restaurant service and food were spotty, though Janell was of great service at breakfast. I had requested a birthday mention for Thursday evening, but it was totally forgotten. The best restaurants are not on this side of the island. To travel to the east side is a cab fare of $40 each way.
The resort is situated in a beautiful spot and both the ocean and pool water were enjoyable. The pools could have been better maintained, however.
Overall, I could not recommend this property. It is in serious need of management and maintenance to a higher standard. Though rooms were spacious and staff was friendly, this just could not over compensate for all the shortcomings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1887, The Crane Resort has overlooked the pink sands and turquoise waters of Crane Beach - one of the top 10 beaches in the world as rated by the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and most recently named the "Best Beach in the Caribbean" by USA Today's 10Best Readers Choice 2015. Set on Barbados' beautiful South East coast, the oldest operating hotel in the Caribbean has effortlessly married the old-world charm of its past, to all the 21st century amenities and services expected by today's most discerning travellers. Guests are spoilt for choice with ultra-spacious one and two-bedroom suites, and three bedroom penthouses, many featuring lush gardens, private pools and rooftop terraces. There are also several fantastic dining options, including Zen, the No.1 Zagat rated restaurant in Barbados, which features Thai and Japanese cuisine, L'Azure which offers Caribbean delicacies with an international flair, The Carriage House which offers poolside favourites, D'Onofrio's, the Italian restaurant and The Grove Bar and Grill on Crane Beach which offers light grilled fare. The centre-piece of it all is The Crane Village - 55,000 sq. ft. of retail space complete with duty-free shopping, a Jazz bar, open-air dining, a fitness centre, day spa, an art gallery and the newly opened Calypso Kid's Club catering to younger guests. Guests also enjoy complimentary WiFi in all guest rooms and around the resort - even on Crane Beach - and complimentary long-distance calls to most international destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Crane Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Crane Residential Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Hotel Saint Philip
- Crane Saint Philip
- Crane Barbados
- The Crane Barbados
- Crane Hotel Barbados
- Crane Resort Barbados
- The Crane Resort Barbados/Saint Philip Parish