“Beautiful hotel!”
Review of The Crane Resort

The Crane Resort
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful hotel! The rooms here truly are stunning. Amazing location on Crane beach. This is the perfect spot if you are looking to just lounge at a pool or beach for the entire vacation. It is very secluded not much around there so if your looking for more of a party vibe I would recommend a hotel in Bridgetown instead. I would steer clear of bldg 3 garden view rooms however since the mosquitos are brutal there! Spend a little extra get the ocean view and the higher up means less mosquitos. Be prepared the waiters here totally move at Island speed. You will get your beer 30 minutes after you order it but it vacation so you have to be patient :) The only thing I wish they had would be a swim up bar or even waitress service coming for drink orders around the pool but I didn't see any of that. They have a great general store with everything you need like bread, soy milk, etc. We loved the ice cream shop. It was so delicious and open at 7:30 am every day so very convenient. They also sold pastries, coffee, etc. the gift shop was great also with tons of cute stuff. Out of the property to the right a short walk is Cutters where you can get breakfast or lunch and they do deliver to the Crane. Also outside the property short walk to the left is the Crane Palms for lunch and dinner. All in all the Crane has beautiful architecture on the cliffs in Barbados. From the koi ponds to bird baths to the lovely grounds it really does transport you to a state of lovely serenity.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Megatwins100
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Megatwins100,

Thank you taking the time to post this fantastic review! We couldn’t agree with you more – The Crane is the perfect spot if you are looking just to lounge at a pool or beach for the entire vacation. The beautiful surroundings really do transport our guests to a state of lovely serenity.

We do apologise for the inconsistencies you experienced in restaurant and pool service. I assure you that I have communicated your observations to the Food & Beverage team for immediate improvement.

It would have been our pleasure to spray your suite and provide you with mosquito nets to prevent any discomfort from insects.

The Village Café is one of our newer additions to The Village and it has fast become a favourite spot for both the young and the young-at-heart. We hope to welcome you back soon – many more sweet treats await!

There are newer reviews for The Crane Resort

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just returned from a 4-night stay in a private garden suite. The grounds and the hotel were beautiful, and the staff was generally very nice.

Pros: (1) The pool complex was beautiful, well maintained, and with more than adequate seating. (2) The beach itself was beautiful with well-maintained grounds and a convenient bar. There were no public restrooms on the beach, however, requiring a lengthy trip up several flights of steps up to the resort. (3) Zen Restaurant was excellent - for those who enjoy Thai and sushi I would highly recommend it. (4) We had a private pool and jacuzzi off of our room, although the jacuzzi wasn't working. (5) The staff was very friendly and, with one exception, very acccommodating. (6) The grounds were well-maintained and the exercise area was large with a great deal of equipment. (7) We had no problems with the air conditioning in our suite - in fact, our rooms became a bit chilly when left on overnight. (8) The views were beautiful from the main grounds toward the ocean, and the views from the main restaurants overlooked the ocean with fantastic sights. (9) Taxis were readily available with no wait.

Cons: (1) Our suite had a significant mosquito problem, due largely to housekeeping propping the door open to the outside while cleaning our suite. (2) The service at the pool was poor, with no waiters and a towel stand that was closed/empty more than open. (3) The concierge service was fine in person but absolutely unreachable by phone - the phones would ring unanswered, then go into voicemail that was reported as full. (4) The breakfast buffet was ok, but not at the level of most resorts (other than in price). (5) There is no good location for walking - the grounds have limited walkways for exercise, and leaving the grounds to exercise lead you to narrow roads with no shoulder. (6) Portions of the resort are a bit dated and tired.

Barbados is not easy to get to from the US, and while the Crane Resort is certainly beautiful, it's a bit below the standards of many more accessible and modern resorts in the Caribbean. If you're into more rustic and old-fashioned resorts than we are, this would be a great destination.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear EAS1972,

It sounds as though you enjoyed an overall good vacation with us, despite several inconsistencies. We do apologise for these occurrences. I would like to assure you that the majority of what you have described represents a gross departure from our established service standards and I have addressed each of the offending departments on the contents of this review for immediate improvement.

Spread over 40 cliff top acres, The Crane is a substantially sized Resort which necessitates creative solutions with regards to its maintenance and upkeep. Each summer, we undertake a schedule of renovations, with each area of the Resort placed on rotation.

The absence of rest rooms on Crane Beach is unfortunately not under the control of the Resort. Crane Beach, like all beaches in Barbados is public and as such, the construction of such facilities falls under the mandate of a specific government agency. We have been working with them for several years on this project.

Barbados is also quite accessible by US residents with our Grantley Adams International Airport welcoming flights from large US cities such as New York and Miami daily.

Although it appears that The Crane was not exactly what you were looking for, we do hope that you will return to Barbados to experience all that our beautiful island has to offer.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My weekend at the crane was spent in block 8 in a lovely 1-bedroom suite. The suite was very comfortable, the kitchen was equipped with everything you would want, and our plunge pool was particularly refreshing with a glass of wine in the moonlight. However, our first night I believe we used up our allotted air conditioning as the second night the room was only slightly cool, and the third night there was NO a/c at all. Reading the other reviews, air conditioning seems to be a problem throughout the property. The other negative of our visit was that block 8 is right next to the central kitchens with the attendant noise of setting up in the morning with clashing and banging of pots and pans. However, I highly recommend the restaurant Zen, it was it's usual high standard. I would definitely stay there again, once i could be guaranteed an air conditioning system that works!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bajangirl2009

Dear bajangirl2009,

We are thrilled you enjoyed a great weekend with us at The Crane. It is always our pleasure to share the fantastic physical features of the property with our fellow Barbadians. They always marvel at the classic Barbadian architecture of The Crane Village as well as the colonial feel of the suites.

We do apologise for the inconsistencies experienced with your suite’s malfunctioning AC. Recently, reports of malfunctioning AC have become exceptions rather than the norm, so we checked and made the necessary repairs to the unit.

We do look forward to welcoming you back – for a cool Crane vacation!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I spent 10 days @ The Crane to celebrate both our 25th wedding anniversary and my birthday. It was during the Hurricane Sandy black out and the timing was perfect. Our trip was from November 3rd, 2012 to the 12th. The photos
seemed a little ritzy for working class people but in the end, we made the perfect choice. Every person we met was really nice. Better than what you hear. In fact all the people in Barbados are true Angels. I'll never figure out how this is possible. The Angel leadership of this Island, seems to be employed at The Crane Resort. We want to adopt many, and the rest we'll call cousins. Genuinely eager to serve, lovable, and really down to earth. Our driver is named Ricardo. Humble, knowledge and a real safe driver. Not one cranky person on the island and the staff at The Crane sets the example!

We had a romantic, secluded garden suite in building 37 in the back. Full pool and hot tub. The only possible con, though not meaningful enough for us to list as a con, was the jets don't work and none of the hot tubs on the property have heated water. We had free wi/fi in room so I avoided text message charges and used Facebook instead. The romantic, isolated garden suite was nicer than in the photos. My wife was astonished that there were no bugs. Finch and Humming Birds fed on the flowers. I was able to skinny dip at night which I like. The back yard area was entirely secluded. My wife loved the idea of packing less because there's a washer/dryer in the room. I did all the laundry. The kitchen was very useful and so was the living room. We determined from now on we will try to stay at a hotel suite rather than a hotel room. We went to a local supermarket called Emerald City... nice... good prices and bought some things for the Fridge. Drinks, bread, eggs ... tuna etc. We were set if we needed a quick snack though they have 24/7 room service. Crane Beach, listed in the top ten beaches in the world met expectations. The beach was perfect... don't jump off the cliff unless ur an excellent swimmer, strong...and long winded. Smokers... its not worth drowning to find out. Trust me on this one. Whew!!! Almost didn't make it to shore. The pools were nicer than the photos show. You can swim at night in warm water with no time restrictions. Outstanding!

We ate dinner twice at D'Onofrio's On Site Restaurant and the food was outstanding, as was the service. We had a pricey but excellent buffet breakfast at Zen's and it was great. Wide selection, great food and fruit... good coffee too! I'm happy to state that we entirely avoided LAsure's due to the reviews I had read. During our trip we traveled the island and visited 4 or 5 other possible places including The Hilton. After visiting the other hotels, we became most certain that The Crane was the best possible hotel for our romantic needs. No question. Use Caution when you get to the desk. The complimentary Rum Punch does not taste potent, but it packs a knock out blow. The next day she was feeling much better... lol I spent many hours of research during the prior two months to pick just the right spot. We chose The Crane Resort and I'm so very glad we did. I can assure you, so will you!

2  Thank TheRealBigPaul

Dear TheRealBigPaul,

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary! We are delighted you chose to spend this momentous occasion with us here at The Crane. Thank you for taking the time to post this fantastic review – you haven’t left much for me to add! However, I must state that I was especially thrilled by your rave review of our staff. They really are angels in the way they go above and beyond to ensure that each of our guests enjoy their Crane stays.

We do apologise for the disappointment you felt at your Garden Jacuzzi. We are working to rectify the problem. None of the pools or outdoor Jacuzzis at The Crane are heated as we have found over the years that our guests like to dip into cool water during the typically hot days.

Again, we thank you for posting this great review. Don’t become strangers – many more rum punches await!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We spent a week at the Crane and over all we had a great time. The location is superb exactly what you expect from the Caribbean - picture postcard you might say.
The staff are among some of the most friendly I have come across and always have a smile and a good morning/evening or alright for you.
The food in the resort is also very good especially the Thai and again the service excellent.
So you might ask what stops it being world class, well it is really the maintenance. Again it is really clean and they are always working on the gardens and the grounds but there were issues for other guests with not having hot water or air conditioning which is not funny when it is 30 degrees. For us it was the fact we had an adjoining room and the sound proofing was very poor and our neighbours were very noisy, luckily they were only there for 2 nights and then we had peace. We also had air conditioning issues on our last day but again not much of an issue as we were checking out at mid day.
I suppose the question is would I go back and the short answer is Yes.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not have an adjoining door as the sound proofing is not good
1  Thank humphtj5

Dear humphtj5,

We are pleased that you had an overall great time with us at The Crane. The Resort certainly does enjoy a breathtaking cliff top location overlooking Crane Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. These stupendous views when combined with our attentive and friendly service create fantastic vacation experiences for our guests.

During your stay, our construction team was in the process of connecting one of our buildings to our new chilling system. As a result, the hot water and AC of this building were affected and we addressed the impact on these guests directly. Also, the doors between our adjoining suites feature a small rubber gasket for sound proofing purposes. It appears as though that gasket was missing during your stay. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

However, we are thrilled that you have not allowed these unfortunate occurrences to deter you from returning to The Crane. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy a disturbance free holiday!

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We are currently in our second day in the fantastic Crane in block 5. It is our second visit to the resort and our tenth wedding anniversary. So here are the good point's;-
1) The Staff are really friendly
2) The food in Zen last night was excellent
3) The resort as before is beautiful and well maintained.

The bad point, which unfortunatly spoil's the above:-
1) Before coming to the resort we emailed customer services to request a room with the air-con working, as we had a few problem's on the previuos visit. However, we arrived last night and our room in Block 5 has a very poor performing air-con system. We have been down to reception four times, but each time we have been fobbed off and we are stuck in a room which is extremely hot and uncomfortable to sleep in.

We love aspects of the Crane, however, the poor perfroming air-conditioning, will unfortunatly make this our last visit. For any future customer's, please consider this before booking, as this can spoil an otherwise amazine experience at the crane.

Room Tip: Ensure you have an apartment with the new and upgraded aircon
4  Thank marc d
CraneGM, General Manager at The Crane Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear marc d,

I was extremely upset to learn of your unfortunate experience with us and on behalf of my entire team I would like to extend my sincerest apologies. I have checked into your situation and it appears that Mr. James Best, one of our Guest Relations Managers was proactive in resolving your situation by facilitating a room upgrade for you.

We do hope that this action salvaged your vacation and that you will continue to make The Crane your Barbados resort of choice!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Crane for 7 nights last week. We were lucky enough to have our own private garden complete with its own swimming and jacuzzi (which unfortunately did not work, but we were told it worked at certain times between certain months, which odviously did not incude the time we were there!). I must admit I spent most of my time in the garden, it was so peaceful. The clifftop setting and Crane Beach were beautiful - and the the sea breeze very welcome. The rooms were well laid, spacious and tastefully decorated with a fully equiped kitchen including ice maker and dishwasher. The staff were polite and friendly and the restaurants were good. There is no night life as such - so if you want this the Crane is not the place to go.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 26Andrea

Dear 26Andrea,

We are delighted you enjoyed your time here with us at The Crane. Your choice of suite category – One Bedroom Standard Suite with Garden Pool – is among our newer range of accommodation. These boast the same elegant yet understated décor and modern amenities found in our ocean view suites but with the added feature of lush private gardens.

We do apologise for the disappointment you experienced with your Garden Jacuzzi, but we are pleased that you enjoyed your private garden and pool.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Philip Parish
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to The Crane Resort? Share your experiences!