“Great ambiance but the food was overrated”
Review of Zen Restaurant

Zen Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Zen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I really wanted to love Zen @ the Crane Resort. We were sold by all the amazing reviews and we were excited to experience fine dining. The following is what we ordered:

I had a 3 course meal which which entailed the following:
Starter: Miso soup which was good (I mean, if you get miso soup wrong, Houston, we have a problem!)
Main Course: Bento Box which contained the following:
Pan seared snapper: snapper was gummy (at the time, this was my 11th day in Barbados, and this was the first time I ate any kind of fish in Barbados that was "gummy.")
Spicy roasted beef sirloin: another gummy experience with a touch of cardboard
Chicken cutlet: this was okay. I've tasted better.
California roll: It was okay…it almost tasted like it had mayo in it. I ate 2 pieces out of the 3 because I was starving.
Dessert: young baked banana with coconut ice cream: it was literally a heated sliced of banana with sesame seeds(I think) on it and coconut ice cream on the side. This is the worse dessert I've ever had in my life. The banana tasted weird (maybe because it was sprinkled with sesame seeds?? and the coconut ice cream was too sweet for my taste buds).

My husband ordered chicken teriyaki with vegetable tempura. He was disappointed too. He said the chicken tasted like it had been sitting somewhere for awhile…nothing special at all!
Oh! There is one highlight! My husband ordered the Phuket Fried Rice from the Thai menu which was wok-fried with raisins, cashew nuts, freshly cut pineapple cubes, assorted vegetable and a hint of curry all served in a half fresh pineapple which was actually really good. I ate half of his fried rice because I was so hungry. Luckily, he loves to share food with me!

Like I said before, I wanted to love this restaurant simply because we enjoy quality dishes and we will pay a high price for spectacular food. Let's just say, I wish I had gone to a local fish fry hut by the beach and ate that instead. I'm still perplexed by the great reviews….Maybe Zen was having a rough night in the kitchen when we went? That is what I choose to believe...

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I have dined at the Zen restarant at The Crane in St. Phillips, Barbados more than 3 times. We are staying at the Crane in a luxurious 1 bdrm oceanfront suite with private plunge pool. We highly recommend the Zen and we will dine here one more time during our short 5 night stay. We sampled the shrimp tempura, beef teriaki, and a mix of the Thai and sushi. Everyting was top shelf. One exception that lowered our rating from 5 to 4 stars is the limited, thin wine selection. Price doesn't bother us but we expect more from a retaurant of this rating and caliber.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I can't even describe how good this restaurant is. Service is always great and the food is to die for!! We went repeatedly while on our honeymoon at barbados and stayed at the crane.

1  Thank Stephanie G
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Wonderful sushi, and Thai menu at zen. The view is spectacular, though if in a booth you won't see it,the booth is nice for an intimate evening . The restaurant is .air conditioned which can be nice on those hot nights. Great cosmopolitans. The taster menus are a great choice and good value, and for the novice at this type of cuisine makes choosing a whole lot easier. There are greeters and waitresses, but no manager it seems, I sometimes feel it lacks the personal touch. Have been many times and there is no special welcome for e regular visitor ! But we will still go.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Nice Restaurant and view,
The menu features a range of both traditional Japanese and Thai offerings. The chef is very talented and everything our family had was terrific.
My wife love wonton soup and Shrimp tempura, My daughter and I both had Pad Thai which we loved. We sampled several sushi dishes which were tastefully presented.
The food is fantastic and the service just as good. . If you like thai food you will enjoy it,The food is a bit pricy but definitively worth it.