“First Sunday dinner here and it wll not be the last”

Barratt's of Tyn Rhyl
Ranked #8 of 171 Restaurants in Rhyl
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Celebrating 2 of my children's birthdays with a nice Sunday roast.
As ever the food was lovely and we all enjoyed our meals.
Thanks yet again for the meal and the hosts as usual were great....Thank you.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husbnd and I stayed on our way to Holyhead. We were attracted to Barretts as it was described 'as a restaurant with three rooms'. When I made the reservation I enquired if food would be available and was told yes. All was good we thought. When we arrived we were shown our room and we asked what time Dinner was served only to be told 'there was no other reservations for dinner that evening so they were not serving food. Disappointed we asked what restaurants there were around and Elvira said there were Indian,Chinese, Italian etc all the usual. She offered tea which we gratefully accepted and when served she brought a ham sandwich 'because I feel guilty'. She also offered us shepherds pie whch they had cooked for their supper we declined.We asked what restaurant they would recommend only to be told they never eat out.. We headed off towards the seafront and town and walked and walked and only found takeaways and chippers granted of every nationality we ended up back in our room with a packed of peanuts and Pringles not the evening we had envisaged. We had originally made our reservation for two nights but the concern of whether there would be food available on the second night coupled with the news my Father had had a fall at home we decided to spend our final night nearer to Holyhead. After a nice breakfast we checked only to be charged an extra £60 for cancelling,with no apology for Dinner the previous evening not being available and knowing there was no decent restaurant in the area. Barretts is not a restaurant with rooms but rather rooms with a restaurant which may or may not be open, so be aware you are not guaranteed Dinner at this establishment.

6  Thank Vonny R
fiveofninewales, Owner at Barratt's of Tyn Rhyl, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy you stay with us. As no confirmed reservation was made for dinner we gave Chef the night off. A little light refreshment was served as a welcome and understanding that you were disappointed I offered to share our evening meal with you with our compliments. I know your were upset when I charged you for the second day but this is standard procedure. When a guest makes a booking there is a 48 hour cancellation policy. After that the full amount is payable. Because of your unexpected departure I did reduce the amount to £60 In an effort to 'be fair' with you. I put the room with an agency to try and re sell the room but unfortunately it wasn't taken so on this occasion we both lost out. You were both perfectly pleasant guests and it is disappoining to find we failed you in our usual high standard of care and attention.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We met friends for Sunday lunch in this wonderful atmospheric restaurant as a special treat for our wedding anniversary. And what a treat! Georgian-fronted, but Jacobean dark, carved and panelled inside the reception/sofa room behind the little red door! Beautiful Georgian dining room at the front and light airy conservatory at the back.

After parking behind the restaurant and seeing David, the chef, picking herbs freshly from the garden, we were greeted warmly by Elvira. There was such a relaxed, almost family feeling about the place, with regulars arriving to hugs and kisses from the hostess!

The food was fantastic. I had delicious fresh tomato soup, and my husband had an elegant tower of very arty-looking black pudding and mushy peas. He had roast pork with crackling which melted in the mouth and I had tasty, tender, local Welsh lamb! Vegetables including asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots accompanied roast potatoes and a fluffy Yorkshire pudding. Our friends opted for sea bream, salmon and scallops - with the herbs picked from the garden earlier adorning them. All beautifully presented and enticing! Desserts of poached pear on rice pudding, and chocolate tart with cream were perfect!

We would definitely return and recommend wholeheartedly! Really, a very special place for a special meal. Thank you David and especially Elvira!

1  Thank HappyTrippa
Reviewed May 19, 2013

What a find, in Rhyl of all places. I eat in all standards of restaurants around the world. Small shacks to 3 starred £150.00 a head restaurants.
The canapes were perfect, the calves liver starter a real revelation, and a main course of sea bass sitting on a salmon fishcake with scallops on spinach, was unbelievable. the sweets were also great. Maybe a little expensive but you have to pay for quality. Being able to take your own wines (corkage charged) is another plus. Will certainly visit again when I'm in the area

1  Thank limosteers
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

This is our third night eating at Barrats. It's consistently high quality service, food and surroundings.

The first room is an old warm reception room, from the Jacobean period. So you instantly feel transported from Rhyl.

We ate perfect canapés, had an excellently broad choice of starters and main courses. The variety ranged from a la carte steak to freshly caught sea bass. A couple who were visiting with us said they have eaten at Michelin star restaurants which dont come close to this place. So you should expect the quality of the food to approach perfect....

However the service is relaxed, friendly, non-stuffy and we brought our own wine (corkage was very reasonable). They have am excellent wine collection we just wanted to bring our own. £6 per bottle corkage was fine.

The environment was great. We ate in a Georgian period dining room, reminiscent of a Jane Austen novel.

On an earlier occasion we had post dinner coffee in a Cleudo-style library, which was very relaxing and really made us feel a million miles away from home....

But you're not. This place is very near if you live in Rhyl, probably just a short taxi ride for most if not walking distance.

I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants something special and appreciates good food. This restaurant was about £35 per head on a Saturday night but just £16 for a three course Sunday lunch. Worth every penny.

2  Thank 1976dude